Please Help Me!!!

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
Grimey
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Please Help Me!!!

Post by Grimey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 am

my drawings are horrible, and when i say horrible i mean HORRIBLE!!!

I've been a simpsons fan for as long as i can remember and a futurama fan since 2000, i've always enjoyed drawing them, even though they have always looking very...different from what i would have liked.

but i got the simpsons handbook and now i have really got into drawing them, but i'm still just as bad.

Please Help Me! Here's what i mean by horrible:

What am i doing wrong?
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re: Please Help Me!!!

Post by Meteorite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:22 am

Well, I think the first thing you're doing wrong is saying they're horrible.  True, there's much room for improvement, but I wouldn't call them horrible.

Can't give you much advice though I'm afraid, so I'll step aside and let others take the stand.  (But I'll welcome you to the board. Welcome! :) )

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Yup, welcome!

I agree that they're not horrible. You're clearly using references rather than winging it and I can see some construction lines. It might be a good idea to trace over some official Simpsony images but only draw the basic shapes you can see underneath; that could give you a better idea of how the characters are individually constructed without having to bother with the details.

One thing I notice about all the pics you posted is that in each, the eye nearest us is a little farther away from the nose than it should be (the most obvious example is Edna). If you haven't already done so, turn the paper around and hold it up to the light so you get a mirror image (or flip the image horizontally if working on a computer). If you do this while you're drawing, mistakes will be much more likely to jump out at you when you see what appears to be a new image.

There are also some very useful tutorials in the Creative Pencil board. Look out for posts by Morpheus306, the only one here who earns a living from this stuff. ;D Hope to see you continue!
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Grimey
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Grimey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:25 am

First off, Thanks for The Welcome :)

Second, I Took in your advice and tried again

Tell Me What you think:

I Think i've improved, i especially like my lenny and itchy, but there's still a very very long way to go.
aristotletotle
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by aristotletotle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

They are not horrible at all.

What you need to learn to do, is to draw using a singular line, rather than lots of sketchy lines all joined up.

Practice drawing curves and circles using a nice soft pencil, just to get the feel for creating free-hand shapes from a singular pencil stroke. The hardest things to draw are hands and also women's shoes- they can end up looking odd unless you practice practice practice.

Then, bearing what you've learned from this in mind, use that technique for drawing the characters.