Chat and mIRC

Technical questions, problems and any bug reports must be posted here.
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Chat and mIRC

Post by hadisia » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:02 pm

All right. So, about a fortnight ago I downloaded mIRC for another chat, and now I enjoy it greatly. It also works better than the applet with my computer, because the Earlham internet connection hates me. I was wondering, does anyone know if and how I can connect to chat using mIRC? I tried to add the various chat servers and the #sfwc channel, and uh, I don't think it quite worked.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Chat and mIRC

Post by archonix » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:57 pm

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? Does it say "cannot connect" or does it connect to the wrong place?

Lets try this. Open up mIRC, but don't connect to anything. In the main window type "/server betamax.dejatoons.com:6667" and see if it connects. If you get a connection then type in /join #sfwc. you should see the bot (SuzyQ) and possiblky a bunch of people.

if you can't connect then it's possible your school is blocking IRC completely.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:02 pm

It doesn't connect to any of the SFWC servers. "Cannot connect" and all that.
Well, since that'd disconnect me from CFUD chat, then I guess use the one on the site, although my school connection makes typing a bit slow on this server.
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:11 pm

Wow, I can't use the chat on this site anymore. Ridiculously slow. I mean, I'll try again next time I see a chat happening, but...

I don't suppose there's anyway I could access #sfwc on...the main server, I think it's called? The one I usually use is irc.lunarnet.org, if that helps.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:22 pm

Ok, try simpworks.com/pjirc. There's an alternative client there that I'm testing out as a replacement for what we're using at the moment. It will, of course, take a while few seconds to download the java applet but it should be significantly better than the other.

The network server for dejatoons is, excitably, irc.dejatoons.net
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 pm

I tried to get into chat.  It accepted my name, I let the program run, but things did not work after that.
Do I have to download a program to be able to chat?
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:59 pm

If you're using http://www.simpworks.com/chat then it should just load you in automatically. It's possible your computer is simply not displaying the chatroom. First you should see if any other java programs are loading. Try the old chatroom, which is here: http://www.simpworks.com/chat.old/. If that doesn't work you'll have to download another program to get in to chat. Go to http://www.mirc.com , download the program and then connect to irc.dejatoons.net:

Type /server irc.dejatoons.net in to the main window.
Then type /nick . You should only have to do that once.

There's a whole bunch of settings and things you can change in the program to make all this more permanent, but just for getting in it's a good start.

Good luck...
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Another chat question, Graham are you going to make the same kind of little window that lets people see who's in chat?
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:24 am

The chat users should be appearing at the bottom of the top box now. I'll put a chat link in tomorrow.

Again.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:45 pm

Hooray Graham, hooray.  ;)