Not a simpworks problem per say...

Technical questions, problems and any bug reports must be posted here.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Not a simpworks problem per say...

Post by D.B. » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:05 pm

...however, i suspect someone here may know the answer. I'm trying to capture a still image of a scene from a DVD. I've tried turning off overlays or changing hardware acceleration from Full to zero, but these either do nothing or render me unable to play dvds at all. Are there any free media players out there that will allow me to do this? I've heard good things about PowerDVD, but i know that if i start downloading things without checking with someone dependable I'm almost guaranteed to get some spyware bloated monstrosity...
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Not a simpworks problem per say...

Post by archonix » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:37 pm

I understand that vlc (or it might be called videolan) can do that sort of thing.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 pm

I've got VLC - I didn't realise it handled DVDs but I've just tried one and it does indeed work!  You can screen capture using the "snapshot" function under the video menu.  The destination file and format can be set in settings -> preferences -> video.  It's not got the most user-friendly interface in the world but it does the job and as far as I can tell, it's not loaded up with spyware.  It's worth a look.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Free, pleasantly functional interface (am i the only one who's tired of programs trying to look like something other than a regular window?), and it can save things as .png which is exactly what I'm looking for. I am pleased :)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:57 pm

We are pleased that you are pleased. This pleased nature prompts us to ask: who wants chocolate frosty milkshakes?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks