Lisa No Go

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re:Lisa No Go

Post by D.B. » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:02 am

You basically take it in turns placing counters on a grid. Whenever you manage to completely encircle a group of opposing counters they're removed from the game. It ends whenever you reach the point where neither played can place any more counters without them immediately being encircled and removed, at which point you count up the area of the board you control (be either having a counter on it, or encircling it so your oponenet couldn't go there). Person with the biggest area wins.

It's one of those games that's simple to learn but takes a lifetime to master. In fact, attempts to program a computer to play it, in much the same way they've created chess playing computers, have proved exceptionally more difficult than anyone expected.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
capadde
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by capadde » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:51 pm

I'm glad you all like it.

Yes, she's playing Go, and it's inspired by the anime "Hikaru No Go".
Go is fun, although it's quite hard to play and would take forever to master. :-\

I've attached a small program where you play against the comp. I've once reached as far as to 8 Kyu*. Although I think that from that point, you'll need to get a lot better for every level. 8)

*Kyu and Dan is the rating system in Go. You start at 25 Kyu and when you get better, you become 24 Kyu and so on.
When you reach 1 Kyu, you're very good. If you want to have an even higher ranking, you have to become a professional.
Becoming a professional is hard. You need to do good in a "Pro Qualification Tournament" in order to become one. When you do, your ranking changes to 1 Dan. And from there it only goes up.
The top players in the world are about 9 Dan, where the steps between each Dan is about as large as the step from 25 to 1 Kyu... ::)

I think I got that right. Don't know why I wrote it all, since nobody asked... ;)
What would you do if you found an angel on your balcony?
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:07 pm

Like chess, Go is scary. I stick with checkers.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
capadde
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by capadde » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:05 am

Chess is not scary. Chess is fun. ;D
What would you do if you found an angel on your balcony?
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:06 pm

Chess is like Radiohead. At first, you might find it too brainy and difficult, but once you're into it, it's just your average everyday fun. ;D

But no, scary, no. ;)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:08 am

That good, but if Lisa opponent is Bart, dang this could be a good game.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.