There, I DID IT! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!?

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
Neodium
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

There, I DID IT! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!?

Post by Neodium » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:08 pm

Note: This used to be a long, pointless, self-depreciating rant, so I deleted it. Here's the short version:
- My art is horrible, I suck, blah, blah, blah.
- I made this over a month ago, but my lack of confidence prevented from posting it until recently.
- I need help with the floor, the metal structure, and now, Homer.

Now for the "new material":
- I made a second version. It's still in JPEG and will still be, unless I decide to make a "final version".
- Now most of your comments will look pointless! :D Is it just me or it used to be more colorful?
- I did some small changes, but I doubt you'll notice them, as I deleted the original (edit: by accident :-[)
- Thank you all for your kind comments. At first I thought you were going to hate it! But if you're expecting "more", well... I may disappoint you.
Last edited by Neodium on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Re:There, I DID IT! WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!?

Post by Kif White » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:58 pm

This is awesome! I love it! There's almost something very Seussian about it to me for some reason too :)
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:23 pm

I love it too. It's unique as far as I can tell. If this is the 'decent' stuff, i really hope you'll be posting good stuff soon!
The eyes come in five different colors (I like this one best)
I also like it. But there has been reference in the past to Lisa having blue eyes. Nothing concrete cannon wise, but it might be worth considering.
...floor, the metal structures
Fraid I can't help.
... and coloring.
The colouring I really like. One tip - don't save in jpeg. If you look, it's causing lots of little blocky artifacts in what should be smooth colour. Go for gif if in doubt.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:01 pm

I'd actually say PNG over GIF even. It allows for more colours, but it can sometimes depend which program you save in and how much you adjust the quality.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
Neodium
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Neodium » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:34 pm

First off, thank you for the replies! You don't know how happy you make me :)
But there has been reference in the past to Lisa having blue eyes. Nothing concrete cannon wise, but it might be worth considering.
(edit: "Problem" solved!)
I'd actually say PNG over GIF even. It allows for more colours, but it can sometimes depend which program you save in and how much you adjust the quality.
PNG was my first choice, but the output file was too big (150-300KB), and I thought nobody would care about the picture, so I picked this.
Last edited by Neodium on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:08 pm

Wonderful effect on the center eye, and the concept of the pic, despite being random, it's the cool kind of random.
Veryy much thumbs up!
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:38 am

Cool picture! I dreamed for a long time of a look into Lisa's eyes. Now I have it :)
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:16 pm

Excellent! My one niggle is, as has been pointed out, Lisa has blue eyes. (The colour was given in "Bart Carny".) But this is so impressive, I can't really say much about it. Excellent.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by mysti » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:45 pm

Wooooow! This is awesome! ;D I really don't think the eye colour is big enough to be a complaint, so I have none! :P
ImageImage
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:31 pm

For a random concept it's a striking picture! I think your fears that your art wouldn't be up to scratch are unfounded as this is really good. I really wouldn't worry about whether you have "talent" as it is a very subjective thing. There are people out there who have astonishing technical talent but no ability produce art with an emotional or atmospheric quality. Outwardly they are talented artists but to me their work will always lack something. There are also "artists" getting payed big money for what looks to me like a load of crap - but perhaps I'm missing something!
You have produced a very impressive picture here - I'll look forward to seeing more!
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:42 am

Very good. Very original, at least! :) I like the concept... Well, I can't give the advice you asked for, really. But I hope you've overcome your uncertainty, 'cause this is very good.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Neodium
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

I think I may have done something wrong...

Post by Neodium » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:05 am

I accidentally deleted the picture while editing my first post. I tried to replace it but it didn't work.

Anyway... I fixed the "problem"!
Attachments
eyesagain.jpg
Jon
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Jon » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:19 am

....wow. That's really cool.

I've heard that guy's an idiot.