Look, a leaf!

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
Neodium
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Look, a leaf!

Post by Neodium » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:03 am

[[[WARNING: Long, pointless rant ahead! If you don't bother reading, skip this]]]

I don't know why, but I think I hesitate too much to show my work to other people. And no matter what I do, tomorrow I'll be regretting this. :-[
Anyway, here's something I had been working on for the past 3/4 nights. I've developed some kind of hate towards my own drawings, so I'm too biased to comment on it :P. At least I realized a couple things: the "draw everything with circles and cylinders first" method actually works (but it is VERY confusing when you try it for the first time, so I had to take certain "liberties" - with nasty results). And I should learn how to draw trees ::).

Oh, if you're going to comment, I have one request: Be as harsh as possible, so I can get motivated to work harder just to prove you all wrong!! (Yes, I'm that competitive) ;)
Last edited by Neodium on Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dagdamor

Re:"Look, a leaf!"

Post by Dagdamor » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:07 am

First of all, it's nice.
Don't know why do you have to hate your own drawings, it's definitely not the best way to enjoy them. ;)
Second, in my opinion, you should post this topic in the "Netcomix" section.

And the critics... okay, I'll honestly try to. Maybe there is some mistakes, but nothing wrong. First, her hands are drawn very good, but I cannot see her left pointing finger. Her proportions are right, and the pose is shown nicely. Maybe (just maybe) her arms (especially her left) are too thick, as well as her chest. Also, as Marco told me, in such position the nearest eye must cover another one a bit.

Aside from those nitpicks, it's very good for me. You know, it's much better than any of my pics. Her arms and feet are greatly detailed, and her expression is cute. And of course I like the subject. :)
Marco

Post by Marco » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:32 am

I don't know why, but I think I hesitate too much to show my work to other people. And no matter what I do, tomorrow I'll be regretting this.
Anyway, here's something I had been working on for the past 3/4 nights. I've developed some kind of hate towards my own drawings, so I'm too biased to comment on it
Welcome to the club man ;D

Well, you shouldn't be so hesitant. Your pic is (pics are) very good, and even if (of course) it has mistakes, the whole of it is very enjoyable. But since this is the Critic's Corner, let's try to analyze a bit deep...
Dagamor's nitpicks were all quite right, although many things can be "done wrong" and still look good. So those aren't errors that take away much from the pic, even if it would be best to correct them a little. I have another thing to add then... her lips: I don't think the overbite line should be straight like that, cause even if she's almost facing us, it should "wrap" the lower part of her mouth, the lower lip, instead of going straight to the base of the neck.

Really, it's a very nice pic. :) Be more proud of yourself.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:54 pm

You wanted nitpicks, so...

This sounds so wrong, but anyway... her butt's too big. Her hips look almost as wide as her hair. I suspect (because it's happened to me in the past) that the problem is when you've drawn in the cylinders for the legs, you've put the one for the right leg along side the sphere for her lower body, rather than extending into it. Thus her left thigh also ends up looking much shorter than the right when you make her knees meet. Bring the join in and upwards slightly. My personal ratios are that Lisa's lower body, at thickest, is about 4/5th the diameter of the sphere around her hair, and the vertical distance between the hem of her dress and the line of her pearls is about the same as that between the tip of the highest point of her hair and the line of her upper lip (when standing normally, perspective and expression non-withstanding).

Eye probelms aside her face is good - her nose *looks* like a perspective foreshortened cylinder, rather than just a short nose.

I'm not quite sure about the join of her left arm to her body, but I find that hard anyway, so others can correct you on that.

Tree's pretty good - don't be so hard on yourself :).

Legs are just a little too thick around the knee, I think. Again, it's a hard ratio to get spot on.

Hand catching the leaf looks great.
Last edited by D.B. on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Tigersrock144
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by Tigersrock144 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:34 am

Nice sketch. I really like the way you've shown the movment in the trees. Nitpicks, well Lisa looks a little too chubby and mostly her legs and feet. I like the idea she has captured the leaf in her hand also. Keep it up ;)
If you wish to add me on your msn contact list, Please notify me first by sending me a note or something
Thank you
Matias

Re: Look, a leaf!

Post by Matias » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:35 am

There's nothing to be harsh about unfortunatly, it's a great picture! Keep drawing like that and your bound to improve.

(I'm like you when you say competative, but I still can't complain about it!)