Unfinished - Simpmoon manga designs

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Unfinished - Simpmoon manga designs

Post by gkscotty » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:40 pm

This is unfinished, as I still need to add in Jupiter, Minako and Venus.

This may contain very mild Simpmoon spoilers, for those who care.

Please tell me what you think.

http://www.simpworks.com/steven/smgang.jpg

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Re:Unfinished - Simpmoon manga designs

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:50 am

You're forcing me to do something I'd much rather not do - gush mindlessly!

Seriously, bring on the comic! I know Jessica's weird eyes and head are a problem, and I haven't really got any suggestions... but Lisa, Allison and Laura are next to perfect. I don't know how you do it, but they *look* like on the show. I'm in awe.

[size=0.8]OFF TOPIC EDIT: I've been thinking for a while that your version of Allison reminds me of someone, and finally realised that she looks like Homogenise Milquetoast out of Sluggy Freelance's "Torg Potter" storyline. Terrifying.[/size]
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Neodium
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Neodium » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:59 am

Let's see what can I comment on... I think there are some parts that could be a bit rounder (namely Lisa's shoulders and arms and Mercury's clothings)... I think Lisa's ear looks a bit weird (perhaps too high?), but I'm not too sure. Jessica's face looks great, and so does Sailor Mars'. S. Mercury's shoulders are too small (or her arms are too thin) I love Allison's expressions. Mars could use some more hair, as her head looks somewhat flattened (aroung the area over her right eye).

On a side note, I don't know who the girl at the far right is, but she looks wonderful, and is easily the best of the bunch! Great job on everyone's ribbons, too! :) In short... great work! 8)

*wants a comic*
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:38 am

The tall girl is Laura Powers.

[size=0.8]In other news... BUN-BUN IS BACK![/size]
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:44 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated.

I decided to start from scratch and try to fix the face problem. I think this came out better.

It's still unfinished though, obviously.

Last edited by gkscotty on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Niftiness! If I have a problem, it would be that the heart-Mercury symbol should have the "cross bar" lower. As it is, it looks more like an ankh than a weird version of the Venus symbol (which is what it is). Also, Mercury's legs might need some tuning. But all over, very nice, both as regards faces and costume.

EDIT: Never mind.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Andreas » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:28 pm

I don't know anything about Sailoor Moon, but *checkes names on the first image* Sailor Mercury in your second pic is incredible cute. :)
Andreas

Neodium
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Neodium » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:03 am

I think this came out better.
You bet! ;)

Now for the criticism (note that I'm not very experienced at this, so I could be wrong. If you're taking me seriously, be careful, or I could ruin your pic :D): The area between Lisa's right hand and wrist look a bit weird. The thumb is too long (BTW, the other fingers are a bit too long too) and it seems to be part of her forearm and not her hand. I'm not sure about this, but I can't see her right shoulder! :P. Also, the position/angle of the dress, the ribbon with the symbol and her skirt don't match (I can't put it in more precise words, sorry). The left leg is either too small or too far behind to come from the skirt, but I don't know whether its because of the awkward perspective and angle, the "shadow" (is that the correct word?) that makes the pic look a bit flat, or a combination of both :).

Now, on to Sailor Mercury: I think that the skirt (the 'V' shaped area) should be leaning, like the rest of the chest.
Her left cheek is a bit too high (it's not very noticeable behind the cool-looking "glasses", but it has some effect on her chin. And we're not supposed to see the hair behind the headband. One side of the head has less hair than the other (this goes for Lisa too!) :P

Chris already pointed out the leg problem, so I'm out of comments. Tired of reading? Their expressions are (... wow!) excellent and there are some reallynice details all over the pic... In short, the pic is very, very good!
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:21 am

*impressed*

Waugh... without any extra words, this is your best Simpsons/Anime picture so far.
I like both Lisa and Allison here. They don't look "toyish" anymore, and very Simpsonic at the same time.
Great work Steve, keep it up!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Thanks neodium, that's very useful. and Chris, the 100CM and 96 CM refer to their heights on the page. (should be 10.0 CM and 9.6 CM... d'oh) I was drawing them to scale for this pic.

And I apparantly won over Dagdamor? WOW.