Need help with perspective, not sucking at

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Need help with perspective, not sucking at

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed May 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Right, people who are better at geometry, this is a draft-thing of a room with a sloping skylight and a pipe running across the ceiling. It looks off, but I need to know why before I start trying to fix things. Any tips, overdrawing etc very much appreciated.
Attachments
perspectivetest.jpg
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Need help with perspective, not sucking at

Post by archonix » Wed May 27, 2009 7:46 pm

The problem is vanishing points. And the fact that perspective lines tend to create artificial constraints, but that's by the by...

The rule is: all your lines go to two points on the horizon. You've got your bottom lines going to two points, but the lines above the horizon are going somewhere else entirely. I've marked the tops of the walls in red to illustrate the pint. The blue line at the bottom is taking one of the wall lines out to the more distant vanishing point to see how it would look.

More natural perspective requires vanishing points that are quite a long distance apart.

Or you could just eyeball the whole thing, which tends to look more natural.
Attachments
perspective2.jpg
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks for the help! What I've done next is use a wider horizon line as you suggest, and altered the floor angle rather than the ceiling (haven't drawn over everything in the ceiling, but hopefully it should be easier in a while). Do the orange lines here look any better?
Attachments
perspectivetest2.jpg
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed May 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Yep!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Splendid. :)

One more question: I'm not sure about redoing the perspective on that slanting skylight thing. Because the glass bit is at an angle to the rest of the room, should it have its own vanishing points?
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed May 27, 2009 11:12 pm

For a sloped roof, ignore the actual slope for a second and think of it as a box, with the slope forming the angle between the top left and bottom right of one side here. Split the box into pieces, then draw the lines of the skylight where those smaller boxes intersect the sloped roof.
Attachments
34dpu8h.jpg
slope3.png
slope2.png
slope2.png
20uoc53.jpg
slope.png
Last edited by archonix on Thu May 28, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Thu May 28, 2009 12:49 am

Several hours later, it gets far enough past my skull to make sense. Thanks to Graham for considerable sketching time and not injuring me.
Attachments
perspectivetest4.jpg
aristotletotle
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by aristotletotle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:42 pm

The pipe, being further forward than where the ceiling meets the wall and so, should be at more of an angle -see my horrendously bad rendition in red done in MS Paint :doh: (believe me, I am better at this in reality, I even design and make my own fashion stuff :lisa:

At the moment your pipe is lined up with the back wall - you just need to change the angle.
Attachments
perspectivetest.jpg.png