Legality & Translations

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
Dagdamor

Legality & Translations

Post by Dagdamor » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:06 pm

Hello everybody. I'm here for the first time.
The question is: Is it legal to translate fanscripts to another language and post them publicly? Or should I certainly contact the writer first. I can take the translations of some scripts into Russian, here we love Simpsons as much as you are :), but sometimes it's so hard to find the script's author online and talk with him.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Re:Legality & Translations

Post by Kif White » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:24 pm

I would definitely be a good idea to contact the author and okay it with them first. In fact, I'd say it's a must.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:12 am

Welcome aboard, Comrade!

Like Kif said, it's proabaly a good idea to get permission from the author first...or at least try anyway. At the very least, make sure his or her name is credited for the script. Good luck! ;)

Dana
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
arpulver
Demi-God
Demi-God

Post by arpulver » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:29 am

Not only would it be common courtesy to let the writer know, I'd contact him or her simply for the fact that it gives the writer a bit of an ego boost! Having a work translated to another language is something to be proud of.
Back in my day, we didn't have none of this php or frames or auto-whatsit. I ran this place single-handed doing the HTML on Notepad! And it was better! Everything was subject to my star ratings and if it was crap, I durn said so! And speakin' of crap, these newbies are getting on my nerves! You can have yer Nordlanders and Dawsons- give me a Stephen Boswell script any day of the week!
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:22 pm

I'd just be repeating what the others have said. It would be best if the author knows what is happening to his/her scripts.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Kwyjibo
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Kwyjibo » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:20 pm

Dagdamor wrote: Is it legal to translate fanscripts to another language and post them publicly? Or should I certainly contact the writer first.
In order to publish a work, you must have the permission of the copyright holder.

In other words, yes, you'll need the author's permission before you may post a translation, or even the original script.

(It may be possible to obtain a license from your government to translate a copyrighted work, providing that the translation is not exported or made accessible outside your country; that the copyrighted work has not been translated to your language before or that such older translations are no longer available at a reasonable price; that the copyright holder denies you a license or you cannot contact the copyright holder; that this has been the case for half a year or more; and that the work is more than 7 years old. Also, I think the work has to be published physically for this to apply.)

Of course, fanscripts being already in the grey area of copyright law, I'd recommend trying to contact the author, and if that fails, just translate and publish it anyway. You can call it "fair use" if that makes you happy. :)
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:19 am

Kwyjibo
It may be possible to obtain a license from your government
Ehhh... let's try not to make things harder then they are. I'm not trying to publish your scripts for profits, just as you are, I guess. It's just for information purposes, to introduce your works to people.

IMHO, all copyright laws oriented just to 3 things: 1) to save copyright; 2) to protect author from distortion of his works; 3) to help author earn money.

I can guarantee items 1 and 2 for you, but not 3.
And, of course, I won't do any formal law steps. All I can is to translate and to publish. :)
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:16 pm

Dagdamor wrote: Ehhh... let's try not to make things harder then they are.
Well, I did also merely include those details for, uh, completeness. As I said, I'm not even sure it applies to electronic literature. :)

Dagdamor wrote: IMHO, all copyright laws oriented just to 3 things: 1) to save copyright; 2) to protect author from distortion of his works; 3) to help author earn money.

I can guarantee items 1 and 2 for you, but not 3.
Copyright law is about giving the author control of his/her work. Authors may not want you to publish translations of their work, and you must respect that.

However, most fanfic authors probably won't mind. So, if you can't contact the author, just do it. Technically, it will be illegal, but the legality of (unauthorized) fanfiction is in itself disputed. In other words, I wouldn't worry about legalities.

If you manage to contact the author later or the author contacts you, and the author request you to remove your translations, you will of course have to comply with the author's wishes.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:29 pm

Kwyjibo wrote: If you manage to contact the author later or the author contacts you, and the author request you to remove your translations, you will of course have to comply with the author's wishes.
And remember to make them feel horrible for forcing you to discard your hard work. ;)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:06 am

Thank you all for help.

I've already chosen the script (actually, it's a story) and the author has agreed with the publication.
It will take about a month to translate (the story is long), maybe less.
Which story has been chosen is a secret by now ;)
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:04 pm

Lisa Fitzgerald?
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:19 pm

I think secret means secret...
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:18 pm

I wanted to translate Lisa Squared some time ago, but i don't remember if i asked Graham about it.

Can i get that cell over there?
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:55 pm

Mr Snake
Lisa Fitzgerald?
Nooo... wrong guess. Lisa Fitzgerald is likely a great story, but it's extremely long. I'm afraid it's not real to translate it for me :( but... who knows.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:02 am

Finally, it's done ;D
It was "Child of Darkness" by Graham Dawson.
Should you be interested you may look at it here.

P.S. Graham, I just have to say it's a really great story.