Chris can write??

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Chris can write??

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:30 pm

OK... as you may know, I finished a novel (not my first, but arguably my best so far) a while ago. And now I've translated it into English, I figured I might mention it here, in case anyone wants to read it. If so, just post here and announce your willingness to have it e-mailed to you.

So, a little blurb-like thing:

"The Book of Beasts" (a novel by Christina Nordlander)

This story begins in a slightly alternative Sweden under the control of a repressive government. Aerin Persson, a bright but somewhat erratic nineteen-year-old, has just come back from Christmas after studying abroad. While in town with her mother to watch a fireworks display, she does something rather too impulsive, and her world comes crashing down over her head.

So... to say more would be to spoil. If the above summary doesn't give it away, this story is quite dark, not to say depressing in places, and rather violent and twisted, though (to the best of my knowledge) not tasteless. Oh, and I've worked hard on it and am quite pleased.

Anyway, drop in a line here if you want to read it. As usual, stringent criticism is very desirable. Current readers are Kenneth, Søren, Terry, Jenny and Graham. I'd like to thank them for their encouragement, without which... well, I'd have finished it anyway, but it would have been more boring.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re:Chris can write??

Post by D.B. » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:58 pm

*drops chris a line*
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:00 pm

Of course I want to read it too, Chris. 8)
Dark and violent? After "The Yellow Mile" by Jenny I'm afraid nothing. (*nervously looks around*)
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:22 pm

Me me me me! I said it first!

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:00 am

And here's the image I'd like to see on the cover: "the snake sheds its skin" from a bestiary.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Jase_to_the_Izzo
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Jase_to_the_Izzo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:06 pm

I want to read it!!!

jarb66@mizzou.edu
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:19 pm

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a couple of weeks, seeing as I've gone back to my family for the holiday and didn't bring the English version. But I'll send it as soon as I'm back in Manchester. Thank you!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Re: Chris can write??

Post by hadisia » Sat May 28, 2005 8:06 pm

Ooh, I'll have to read it after school dies ends. I'm not sure how much I can help, though.

I like the cover picture.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:29 pm

OK. I'm bumping this thread because I'm intending to edit this novel and try to find an agent for it, so again, allow me to implore everyone who's currently reading "The Book of Beasts" and isn't too busy to bombard me with comments (via e-mail or PM) if there's anything you think needs changing or improving. (If you've already done this, disregard this request.) I'm not forcing you to, but it would be immensely helpful.

I'll be trying to publish the Swedish original, so I'm not really looking for spelling/grammar nitpicks (though I don't mind them either); more on the lines of descriptions, plot, characterisation and other stuff that isn't language-based.

Oh, and if anyone wants to read this novel and hasn't been sent a copy yet, now is the time to ask.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:29 am

Just a small, hopefully undemanding note: I intend to try to send my final draft of this novel to a publisher pretty soon, so if you've read it and haven't already given me your comments, I would be very very grateful if you would. PM me the comments, or email them, or post them in this thread, any way is fine.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:43 pm

"Book of Beasts" or "Jack of Swords?"  I haven't read the latter.  And I'd have to re-read the former, but I remember I liked what I read of it.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:59 pm

Heh, thanks. It's "The Book of Beasts". (I haven't actually let anyone read "Jack of Swords" yet, so don't worry about that.)

I'm not pressuring you to give me con-crit, but if you do, I will naturally be very grateful.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon