The Inferior Superiors (was: Superhero Parody Idea)

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

The Inferior Superiors (was: Superhero Parody Idea)

Post by Kif White » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:39 am

Okay, those of you in chat may have remembered me briefly talk about doing a superhero parody in somewhat similar stylings to The Tick a while ago. Probably not, 'cause I think I only mentioned it once or twice, and it was a while ago.

In either case, I had scrapped the idea, but came up with a few new ideas and am trying to semi-resurrect it again. So far all I have is a few notes and the beginnings of the first part in a .txt document. I'd love to actually do this in some kind of comic form, since I don't know how well a completely non-visual medium will work for this, but I don't really have the talents to draw in super hero comic style (if it was a comic for example, it would only really work as far as I'm concerned if the drawings were in the more serious Batman, Spiderman, Superman, X-Men, etc style)

Anyway, here's some snippets from my notes in case any of you are interested in it in any way. Not sure if it'll amount to anything, but... here's the ideas so far. Bonus points for those who can spot the references (most aren't hard though.)

------------
MAIN NOTES
------------

THE INFERIOR SUPERIORS

Primary Superhero: Neuroman (Real identity: Coleman Miller)
  • can sense evil schemes in his head
------------
EPISODES/CHAPTERS
------------

Chapter 1 - Heroes of Might and Manic
Coleman Miller arrives in Fair City and meets Captain Ignorance, Lady Eyedrop, and The Mystic Yawner. Using his abilties, the three make him a hero like them, and then together try to discover the cause of a recend trend of genetically enhanced/modified animals that are ravaging the city.

Chapter 2 - Time Doesn't Pay
Coleman discovers the reasons why super heroes can have regular jobs to earn money and also fight crime without getting tired: a special pill invented by respected Doctor Octo Doc for super heroes only that when injested freezes time if the taker is asleep. But when a batch of the pills are stolen by a villain called Anti-Meridian, he changes the formula, allowing him to freeze time while awake to commit crimes unnoticed.

Chapter 3 - 1ups-manship
Two bored scientists accidentally create Alex the Game Master, a being made from genetically altered gaming consoles crossed with genetic material who has the ability to alter the world to be more like a video game in almost any way, including making characters walk only in 2D, creating floating platforms and spikes, etc, and creating minions who start off weak but get stronger as time goes. Can Neuroman and his pals save Fair City from the evil Alex?

Chapter 4 - The Pen Ultimate Challenge
To hold all of Fair City at ransom, tiny robotic villains named Gigatron and Radiowave decide to steal all the pens and pencils in the city, stopping anybody from being able to jot down notes or find a pen when they need one. But can Neuroman sense evil thoughts from mechanical beings to help stop them?

Chapter 5 - Lady and the Camp
It's quiet in Fair City, and when Lady Eyedrop reveals she has never gone camping in her life, Neuroman and a few of the others all agree to take a camping vacation for the weekend together. But are the forests surrounding Fair City any less prone to evil than the city itself?

--------
HEROES:
--------

Captain Ignorance -- Never knows what's happening. Arrogant, self-obsessed, perfect, undefeatable super hero, whose only weakness is T-Rex dung. He rarely gets to the scene of the crime though, either due to self-serving stuff he'd rather be doing, or because it takes him so long to get ready for action. Despite ability to fly, likes to take super-fancy, souped up Porsche 911 Turbo Ignormobile to scenes of crime. Has HQ under fabulous mansion, and always takes the Stuperpoles down to it, but it takes about five minutes for him to reach the HQ from the top.
Lady Eyedrop -- Cries acid.
Mystic Yawner -- Makes everybody else around him yawn when he does.
The Human Bomb -- Lives up to his name. Only gets a very short mention in one scene.
Democratrix -- Democratic dominatrix.
Major Republican -- Goes against the policies of the others in every case. Dislikes Democratrix especially.
Prince Concrete -- Can be as hard as concrete, but not move when he is.
The Redneck Deceiver -- Acts like a redneck but is really intelligent.
Fluxoppossum -- Can literally play dead in very gruesome way, spurting blood, etc
The Chocolate Phantom -- Can morph into the shape of any object but is always a chocolate version of that object.
Commando Pacifist -- An ex-Nam commando who hates to fight but has Vietnam flashbacks.
Timefist -- His left fist can knock anybody into next week, while his right fist can knock anybody back to the stone-age.
The Ineffectual Four:
  • Visible Woman -- Woman that can make herself visible, but is normally invisible.
  • The Human Torque -- A man that can transfer his personality and soul into any nearby vehicle, leaving his human body useless while he's in there, and he has to be within 5 metres of it to return back.
  • Insulation Thing -- A walking piece of giant asbestos.
  • Stretch Lame-o -- Can turn skin and muscles into rubber and stretch, but in doing so dislocates so many bones that he's useless for about a week.
Wonder Wasp -- Super hero dressed as a wasp. Can fly and has a stinger which holds chloroform. Fairly standard, but main story point is that while he's really a good hero, Captain Ignorance is adamant he's really a super villain, that every good deed he does is actually some part of an evil plan, and that he's his arch nemesis.
Cypherclops - Hero that can shoot laser beams out of his eyes, but is totally blind due to that power.
Le Fleet -- French hero who can run really fast, but always runs AWAY from the villains/battles.
[/list]

---------
VILLAINS:
---------

The Hoe Master -- He dresses like a pimp, but has a garden hoe for a weapon.
Ventrilotwist -- A giant, living ventriloquist dummy that goes around using humans as dummys for revenge.
Lava Lamp -- A lava lamp on wheel with living wax. Wax can excape lamp and morph into anything to do evil deeds, but it must return to lamp within five minutes of leaving or it will go hard.
Pushie -- Lava Lamp's assisitant. Pushes Lava Lamp around and makes sure long extension cord is okay, plugs him into power sources, changes the bulb, etc.
The Anime-izer -- Scientist with a machine that can turn people into Japanese anime characters.
Plastic Commando and the Thermoplasts -- Evil Commando made of plastic with similar plastic soldiers. Has bendable knees and elbows, and weak joints at the hips and shoulders that result in being easily broken and defeated.
The Heartless One -- Incredibly cold, but logical, villain who had a clear plastic dome built into his chest to reveal he has no heart.
Gigatron -- Small, evil robot who is only about the size of a video cassette, but can transform and size-shift into a gigantic, truck-sized pistol. Can't be fired unless there is somebody big enough to pull the trigger though.
Radiowave -- Gigatron's equally-sized accomplice. Only ever says "As you command, Gigatron!" and changes into a giant 80's style walkman.
Margaret Matcher -- Evil, political woman who can turn her hair into fire if she strikes it really hard on an object. The result is temporary though, and she will either suffer enormous headaches or actually be knocked unconcious.
The Mole -- A mole (not the animal type) that is a living parasite villain who jumps from person to person and control their minds for evil deeds.

-------
OTHER:
-------

Bob -- Superhero wannabe. Has no powers at all, but pretends he does.
Walther Krontrite -- Reports on super hero stories, but always focusses on the lamest aspect of it, quickly glacing over the interesting stuff as fast as possible to get to focus on the stupid, pointless bits.
Mary-Sue Whatson -- Beautiful, perfect, red-headed girl who purposefully tries to get into danger/get kidnapped by villains so she can get with a super hero. Extremely annoying.
Octo Doc -- The super heroes' resident helpful scientist, who really is a super-intelligent octopus.
Jerry Stanford (aka Handgun) -- Man with guns for hands. Not really a villain, but always gets arrested for mistakes.
Conspirigator -- Man dressed up as an alligator who believes everything is a conspiracy. A very serious mix of a detective, a military man, and a complete nut.
Sheana Miller -- Coleman's sister, whom he stays with in Fair City. Works in one of the city's many laboratories.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Re: Superhero Parody Idea

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:11 pm

Ooh, good to see more of this! I really hope you're taking it somewhere. (Even if a comic isn't doable, a superhero novel would be a nice thing to see, and is almost untapped territory.)

Some of these characters are absolutely hilarious (and no, the references didn't pose many problems). The Ineffectual Four are great, but I think that for sheer potential, Gigatron and the Mole win.

Anyway, be sure to post more about this if the ideas keep coming.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Kif White » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:33 am

Updated with some new info in the first post in red. Won't be new to those in chat today, but... I'll keep doing updates like this whenever there are any.
- Kenneth White

Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Kif White » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:40 am

Updated with three new heroes.
- Kenneth White

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:36 pm

I really like the story that goes with Wonder Wasp.  ;D  I can imagine a typical scene right now...

CAPT. IGNORANCE: What?  Wonder Wasp saved a mother and her baby from a blazing inferno?!  What diabolical scheme is he up to now?

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Kif White » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Dark Mage wrote: CAPT. IGNORANCE: What?  Wonder Wasp saved a mother and her baby from a blazing inferno?!  What diabolical scheme is he up to now?
*LOL*  :D

Mind if I steal that one for somewhere? It's perfect!  ;D
- Kenneth White

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Sure!  That'd be great!  :D

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

The Inferior Superiors

Post by Kif White » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:35 am

Okay, made a few updates above. Given the project name for one. Added the character of Coleman's sister named after a certain member here (with her permission), as well as changing the basic first plots and villains I previous had into actual episode synopsiseses.

Also, for an extra treat, here's the first half of the first chapter for anybody interested to preview, just to give you an idea how this thing is basically goint to be style wise. Enjoy, and any suggestions and/or criticism are welcome  :)
Attachments
InferiorSuperiors01.doc
(94 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kenneth White

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Re: The Inferior Superiors (was: Superhero Parody Idea)

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:18 am

The episode synopses sound hilarious (and I particularly like the title of the first one, of course). I'll read the bit you posted once I have time.

EDIT: Great title, too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:05 pm

I've printed it off and I will read it! 
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:46 pm

I should have reviewed this earlier, but I've been quite busy and had a bit of a cold as well. That's my excuse. Now, my opinions, in order of appearance:

Excellent opening. The writing feels a little choppy at times, but it seems to fit, and Coleman already feels like a defined character. I love the hints to what his accident entailed, and how he got his power. Having him look in a mirror to cue a description is, well, a bit of an old trick, but it makes sense in the context.
Quite why somebody who could fly would need to leap over tall buildings as well escapes me, but...
Genius.

Actually, there is a barrage of excellent lines here. I like how you keep the humour low-key, with Coleman making many deadpan observations. Oh, and the superhero barman called The Barman is also great.

Captain Ignorance is great. (BTW, what does the "T" on his suit stand for?  :) ) I can't help but feel that the bit in the bar has a little bit too much dialogue for my taste, though. Just remember to describe the gestures or expressions of people, not just give their words.
Heads turned to see a cloaked stranger dressed in dark blue, with purple gloves, boots and cowl on a dark-skinned individual.
I think this could be phrased a bit smoother.
and a white symbol on his chest of a TV with rabbit ears, which suddenly explained the headgear.
I think "suddenly" can go.

I know you've quoted the Human Bomb joke to me before, but it's still great. Also the bit about manatees being a protected species.

I love the story of Captain Ignorance and Lady Eyedrop!

I don't know how to put this, but in places (mostly when describing actions), the writing feels a bit flat. Not inadequate, mind you, just as if it's scene directions rather than descriptions. This is the kind of thing that training will solve. Read more books, perhaps.
“Greetings, my heroic friends!” said an overly cheery masked blonde-haired man, wearing a rainbow-striped suit as they all entered.
Needs a comma after "suit"
“To the Ignormobile!” announced Captain Ignorance loudly, one finger pointed skyward with authority.
“Uh... we're in the Ignormobile,” said Eyedrop.
“Oh...”
Excellent. (Though, a nitpick, I don't think "loudly" is necessary. We can imagine how he announces it.)

The stories of how the heroes got their powers are great, particularly Eyedrop's one. (Though Captain Ignorance isn't far behind!)

I like how Coleman deduces that he's not sensing the horse.
The steering wheel was jammed hard to the left, sending the car screaming around the corner, not to mention those inside the car minus Ignorance.
Again, it's a good joke, but it could be smoothed out a bit. "Ignorance jammed the steering wheel hard to the left, sending the car, not to mention his fellow passengers, screaming around the corner", perhaps. Still not perfect, just a suggestion.

Conspirigator's dialogue is hilarious. And yes, his suit reminds me a lot of the Super Mario frogsuit.
“Once he even though he was behind something, and was simply brainwashed to think otherwise,
*LOL*!
“Wall?” Eyedrop asked.
“I mean the Pacific Ocean,”
And again! And to say nothing of the dog joke.

I like the drawback to Cypherclops' power, too. Makes a lot of sense. His final line is great, too. Sort of Marvin-like.

Well, looking very good so far. As I've said, the writing is a bit bare, with much more dialogue than description and some awkward bits, but the dialogue sparkles, and I've lost count of all the times I've laughed. The actual mystery seems a bit run-of-the-mill (so far, at least), but that's OK, since character introduction and interaction seem more central. While I'm not a superhero expert, you've got all the clichés here. Keep it coming!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Kif White » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:45 am

Thanks so much, Chris. Some very helpful suggestions there, all of which have been taken aboard. :)
- Kenneth White

Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:46 am

Hey, anybody heard of MY superhero, the Blazer?
I AM THE BLAZER! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!