Might as well play a children's card game...

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Might as well play a children's card game...

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Anyone here ever have the problem with their writing that they feel they're sacrificing probability for drama, to the point where the drama actually becomes less dramatic because it's [physically, or psychologically, or otherwise] implausible?

I find I do that quite a lot in my writing: I come up with some way cool climactic scenes, and then I try to build the rest of the novel/story to lead up to them. And right now I'm having the big worry with my current novel, "The Changing of the Guard", that while the scenes are dramatic as heck, the lead-up is contrived and tortured to lead to them.

I reckon these things are usually fixed with enough hard work (i.e. thinking hard enough until I come up with a plausible reason for those immensely cool scenes). But that requires a lot of epiphanies. Well, I think this might be a useful topic for discussion...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Re: Might as well play a children's card game...

Post by missy_misery » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:09 am

My biggest personal struggle, writing wise, is to keep everything progressing in a reasonable, logical fashion.  I find myself skipping plot points and rushing too much, and it causes a mess.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Ahh... mine's adding new things. I add and add and add and each time I do it the ending gets further away. It can be very disheartening.

And the cool scene thing, too, is a big flaw of mine. I tend to put them in the middle and the work toward them, but often when I get there the plot doesn't match the scene any more and you can see the obvious join, where styles and characters have altered a little. The solution I came up with is to re-write the scenes, keeping the basic concepts intact. These days I just keep the scene in my head and write a bunch of reminder notes in the story so I can recall it when I need to.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Ooh, that's excellent advice! Thanks a bunch!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:41 pm

@Graham - I tend to do the same sort of thing - I have an ending sentance and I write backwards.  This is how I end up with the true bane of my existance - tense shifts.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"