tentative beginnings

Having trouble characterising a Springfieldian or New New Yorker? Get help here!
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

tentative beginnings

Post by D.B. » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:41 pm

Okay, after a bit of a delay, let’s think about getting this show on the road.

The current arrangement, in brief, is as follows;

Initially, we will only be dealing with the ‘main characters’ of the show. I’m looking for one volunteer for each of these characters to write a segment on the character for the initial post. This is to formm the framework of the character sheet. Other people are then free to comment on/add to it. You volunteer by posting in this thread, saying which character(s) you are volunteering to start (questions/queries are also welcome in this thread).

That’s intentionally a very broad overview. Here’s a fuller explanation of things I’ve glossed over;

Who exactly counts as a main character?

This is currently defined as Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Fry, Leela and Bender. That’s right, Maggie and the rest of the planet express crew did not make the final cut of ‘Main Characters’. They will be dealt with later - promise! However, as the above represent the really essential ones, who unless you are familiar with them you really shouldn’t consider writing fanfic, they’re gonna get priority. Once they’re all at least started we’ll move onto other people, though may do so using a slightly different system.

Why a framework? What’s that mean anyway?

Let me explain why I want a specific person starting the thread.
  • Firstly, I’m keen to ensure none of them end up sitting empty – if someone clicks on a thread wanting to hear someone else’s thoughts on a character, then they should at least find something.
  • Secondly, it’s much easier for subsequent posters if there’s something there already for them to read – it lets them think things like ‘Hmm, there’s a couple of points missing here that I think are quite important. I’d better point it out.’, or ‘Wow, that’s a really good point. I’d better tell everyone to pay extra attention to it.’
Bear in mind all I’m asking is a framework. You can take that metaphore however you want.

You can think of the framework that exists inside a bridge. It keeps the whole thing standing up. Everything else, like safety rails, traffic lights, and the white line going down the middle, is basically embellishment, to help make the bridge more useful to us.

You could also think of the scaffolding framework that builders put up while making a house. It’s there just to give everyone something to stand on. At the end, even though it’s all taken down, it’ll have done its job.

Either interpretation, or anything in between, is perfectly acceptable. There’s no minimum/maximum length – as long as you feel you have something relevant to say you’re free to keep going (or stop). Basically, those of you who want to make this into a challenge and try and write the ultimate, exhaustive guide to a character are free to; but no-one’s being obliged to do that.

Once the framework’s up everyone else is free to comment on it. That includes;
  • Expanding more on points that have already been made, adding your own personal spin on them.
  • Applauding things you feel are insightful.
  • Making new points.
  • And saying pretty much anything else that you feel is relevant to the character.
We’re not talking about critiquing what other people have already said here, such as when reviewing a fic. If you disagree on a point then you’re free to give your own opinion. You’re not free to just shoot someone down. Let the person reading the thread decide which point of view they think is the better.

But I’m too busy to write a segment…

Chances are, if you already have any sort of character sheet lurking somewhere on your hard drive, then you could probably do it right now. Just add some extra words into it to make it more readable, maybe write a line or two justifying any pieces of advice you make or observations you give, and you’re pretty much there.

Time wise we’re talking quite a lot of flexibility here. I don’t like the idea of starting all the threads at once – that would just swamp everyone with too much to take in – so if you feel it’ll take you ‘X’ amount of time, due to school, work, or whatever, to actually find space to get something done, then that’s almost certainly gonna be perfectly alright. Once you’re ready let me or any of the mods know, and a thread will be opened for you (or they may even ask you to wait a week or so, which would give you time to take one last look at it).

As an aside, if you haven’t got any fics posted on this board but want to be the one to start a thread, I’d really like to see something you have written involving the character first (as I rarely read fanfic outside here). If you’re serious enough to have already written fics, then you’re certainly serious enough to do this.

I wanna write Lisa too!

If we get multiple people volunteering to do the same character, it’ll be decided randomly who does it. So don’t feel that just because someone ahead of you has already said a character that you can’t do so too – it’ll just come down to chance who gets picked in the end.

Note also that there’s no reason why subsequent posters shouldn’t say just as much as (or even more than) the initial poster – so if you’re not picked but have loads you want to say, you’ll still get your chance. You’ll just have to wait till the thread starts.

Also, I’m not gonna make any decisions immediately on who starts threads, just to give everyone a chance to catch up with and think about all this. When exactly will depend on interest, but certainly not for the next week. I’ll endeavour to give any early warnings prior to decisions being made, but please don’t just rely on this.

And finally, just enjoy it!

I’ve already had a bash at writing a sheet for Marge, just to get my head round how such a thing might turn out. About half way through, I discovered I was enjoying it almost as much as writing a fic. That’s probably because Marge is one of my favourite characters. I’m half thinking of doing one for Bart as well, simply because for the first time he’s featuring quite heavily in one of my fics, and I’ve realised I should therefore make an effort to get more inside his head. Forcing myself to do this is actually proving quite a good exercise. I'm not askinig for an essay here - well, I kinda am, but it's on a fun topic ;).

Note also that, as a bonus, the initial poster effectively has a blank sheet to work with. That makes your job a little easier, as you’re able to spend time talking about some of the more obvious traits of a character. Someone needs to mention that Lisa likes books, and that Bender is secretly extremely fond of Fry. Chances are, you’re also going to have your own, slightly more personal and in depth view on some of these ‘obvious’ points too. This is going to be the easiest, most natural place to mention such things. You’re also getting a somewhat unique chance to really get on a soapbox and rant about what you think makes one of the characters in one of your favourite shows tick, while at the same time maybe helping people out who are struggling. That’s gotta be a good thing.

And that’s me about out. In closing, I’m gonna volunteer to start the Marge thread and, tentatively, also the Bart thread. But don’t let that put off the Marge/Bart-cessives out there.

And well done for putting up with all that ;)

EDIT: You have no idea how frustrating it was getting rid of all the R M (Space)'s in that
Last edited by D.B. on Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re:tentative beginnings

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:06 pm

*quietly applauds*

This looks very promising, Pat. Very promising indeed.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:30 pm

I'll tackle Fry, or Bender or Leela for that matter. Fry foremost though.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:23 pm

I think, for the sake of everyone elses sanity, I'll tackle Homer and get him out of the way.

Yes I know this is a few days late as a reply. I've been busy. Sue me. :P
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:36 pm

I'm not sueing anyone, late is a-ok as far as I'm concerned! ;D

Anyhow, the week's grace is up, so lets start confirming things. First up I'll assume no-one else wants to do Marge and therefore I'm clear to go. It'll be up shortly (at latest Friday). I'll leave Bart open for now, as it'll be a while before i have anything in a remotely postable state (so anyone who wishes to still has a chance to jump in).

Kif, you're confirmed on Fry (as an aside I'm not sure if you were volunteering to do one character out of those three, or all three, so I'll just confirm you on your apparent first choice).

I'm going to leave a three day window open before confirming Graham on Homer, which I think I may adopt as the usual method from now on - once someone volunteers, people have three days to also volunteer, after which a decision is made. Though given the choice of character, I doubt you'll get too much competition (give that man a medal, he's a brave guy!).

Right, I'd better get busy chekinig this blasted thing through...
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:47 pm

Aw nuts, I didn't realise I could volunteer for Marge as well. Never mind, I'll just put lots of suggestions in. ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Kif White » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:27 pm

D.B. wrote: Kif, you're confirmed on Fry (as an aside I'm not sure if you were volunteering to do one character out of those three, or all three, so I'll just confirm you on your apparent first choice).
I don't mind doing the other two either, but I'll just take Fry for the moment. The others can go to vote, and if they're not requested by anybody else by the time I do Fry, then I'll be fine taking themon if you so wish.
- Kenneth White

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:11 pm

That all sounds fine by me Kif (and if you other frama fans out there leave Kenneth to do them all himself then you'd better have a bucket load of comments ready!)
Aw nuts, I didn't realise I could volunteer for Marge as well.

We-ell, seeing as how we're bound to have a few teething problems, I'm sure an exception could be made if you still really want to (or you can just wait and put in comments, either way is good).
- Sydney Brenner
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Kif White » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:54 pm

Would it be possible to have a small example to know how exactly you want this to be done, formatting, etc? Or is it just write several well-phrased paragraphs dealing with the character in question?
- Kenneth White

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:50 pm

I really hadn't put that much though into formatting issues. I'd say just a few well phrased paragraphs is fine. After all, different characters will probably have different areas that need commenting on, and imposing a set structure might make it more difficult to concentrate on the important things.
- Sydney Brenner
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:16 pm

Okay, that's three days past, so Graham, you're confirmed for Homer.

Next, I know I said I'd have Marge up by today, but I hadn't realised Kif would be quite so quick off the mark (being quick off the amrk is a good thing, btw!) so I'm going to sit on it on a couple of days, or at least until he's got the second part up.
- Sydney Brenner
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:02 pm

Marge is up. Feel free to comment away!
- Sydney Brenner
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:37 am

In other news, Rich has kindly agreed to write the initial post for Lisa's character sheet, so we've got at least one name down for all OFF characters.
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:52 am

Lisa got brains. ;D
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:43 pm

Go on, how many of you thought I'd forgotten? :) Which is a roundabout way of saying sorry for the delay getting this up - last term was significantly more work intense than I'd anticipated. Anyway, after much sweat and typing, Bart's sheet is up now. Feel free to poke holes in it.
- Sydney Brenner