Computer troubles with Avast! - Anyone?

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Computer troubles with Avast! - Anyone?

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 pm

A bit of a technical trouble thing here. This is for those moments when searching for it on Google only sends me on incomplete discussion threads and dead end articles. My computer has been BSOD'ing me for months now, in apparently random moments, for no particular reason. I suspected hardware problems, because this PC came with a faulty memory chop when I bought it, and the store replaced it. I thought it could be memory again, or motherboard. But I ran the Windows diagnostic tool, and nothing came back (okay, so I did run it only once, so who knows?). Then, at the advice of one Google result, I installed the WhoCrashed problem, that analyses the Windows minidumps. As it reported, all crashes were due to software problems, of some driver that couldn't be identified, and they all happened either in the Windows kernel or a Microsoft module. But then, in one of those results, it pointed at a certain culprit: the Avast! virtualization driver.

In the interim, I installed the latest update of Avast!, in the hopes that this would fix the problem. But I am also considering dropping it in favour of BitDefender, just to see if the problem disappears. Here's my query: do any of you happen to know anything about this? I've been using Avast! since day 1 with this PC, and I never suspected it could be the problem. But indeed, it smells kinda fishy: the problem does seem to happen in moments when the anti-virus should kick in: opening a folder in Windows Explorer, a new tab on the browser, clicking on a link, stuff like that. On the other hand, I can play hardware intensive games for quite long stretches of time, or use Cubase quite heavily, and nothing happens. I figure that hardware problems would happen more frequently in those situations. So I'm holding back my money before I go replacing RAM and video card and stuff like that. Any hints or suggestions?
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re: Computer troubles with Avast! - Anyone?

Post by D.B. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Honestly no idea. Not used Avast in ages. But this...
But I am also considering dropping it in favour of BitDefender, just to see if the problem disappears.
...feels like such a painless way to test out what's going on, I'd say do that post haste and worry about the rest later.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm using Avast with no problems, but that is literally useless knowledge since your computer isn't mine... I'd have to say trying out bitdefender sounds like the best bet though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Is there any specific behavior that's triggering it? Are you connected to the internet or not?
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 pm

missy_misery wrote:Is there any specific behavior that's triggering it? Are you connected to the internet or not?
No, I haven't found anything specific that causes the crash -- which is the most frustrating aspect about it and that made me suspect hardware problems. And yes, I'm on the Internet all the time. I realise that, if it's indeed Avast! that is causing the crash, it may be causing a conflict with some other driver or something like that. So yeah, if the latest update doesn't solve the problem, I'm switching as soon as I can. And hoping for the best.
-- Falcão
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Hmm - maybe pop over to Bleeping Computer? They're usually uber-helpful.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

I've switched for Avira and the problem is still happening. I'm quite convinced that it's a hardware problem after all. :(
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Damn.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.