A Farewell to Chespirito

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

A Farewell to Chespirito

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Several here may have heard of the story of the creation of Bumblebee Man: Matt Groening was watching a Latin American TV channel and saw a show with a grown man dressed as a bug bumping into things and getting hurt.

That man was Roberto Gomes Bolaños, or Chespirito, and he was one of the greatest comedic geniuses of all Latin America. He has passed away this Friday, at 85, after struggling with a fragile health.

He was the writer, actor, producer and sometimes director of comedy series in Mexico through the 70's, which spread to all countries in Latin America (including Brazil, when they were dubbed and presented since the mid 80's). Both the shows and the characters are dearly beloved by millions of fans -- including myself -- and, after more than 40 years, still enchant the new generations. Those shows are easily bigger here than the Simpsons are in the US. Quoting one of their jokes here causes a bigger response than quoting any Monty Python sketch anywhere else in the world. Chespirito's comedy, no matter if it's over-the-top slapstick, catchphrase based, or simply situational, is full of charm and colour, and entertains children and adults equally. He has successfully passed on the legacy of Charles Chaplin, Jerry Lewis, Laurel & Hardy and so on, all the while creating a world all of his own. He is not simply loved: he has profoundly influenced whole generations of comedians, both the professional and the amateur, like me. Every time I made someone laugh, I owed a share of that laughter to Chespirito.

I'm still incredulous that he is gone. Nature may be amazing, but it obviously has no sense of humour. I know not many here will know what I'm talking about, but this is the least I can do considering I'm just a tiny little face in a legion of fans.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: A Farewell to Chespirito

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Oh man...

I don't know much about him, but I heard US American members talk about his death in chat, so you're not alone.

He sounds like a hilarious guy, and he will be sorely missed.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Having lived in L.A. for a good while, I knew all about Chespirito. I was sad to hear of his passing, too.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:23 am

RIP indeed!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"