Sailing on the pirate ship

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Jase_to_the_Izzo
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Sailing on the pirate ship

Post by Jase_to_the_Izzo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:23 am

So this friend called me up and asked me to tape a performance by Dave Gahan (of Depeche Mode fame) on the radio. The problem was, it wasn't going to be broadcasted. Not wanting to let her down (again), I hopped on the Metra train and went to the House of Blues. In my pocket was a digital tape recorder. That's right, I planned on illegally taping the concert.

Well, things didn't go as planned. I managed to outsmart the waiters and waitresses by constantly playing with my cell phone as I finagled with my tape recorder in my pocket. When Dave took the stage and I pressed play, I realized I had made a fatal mistake. I sat next to a drunken harpy who screeched after every lyric Dave sang. I mean every lyric. Here's a modest diagram:

8) DAVE: Words like violence, break the silence. Come crashing in, into my little world.
>:( ANNOYING SCREAMING GIRL: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Even worse, when people told her to shut her hole, she responded:

>:( ANNOYING SCREAMING GIRL: I DON'T GET OUT MUCH!!

and continued to harp like a banshee.

So when I escaped the House of Blues and listened to the tape, I heard a little of Dave's performance. Unfortunately, the screaming girl ruined the entire thing. Although "Enjoy the Silence" turned out pretty well.

The obvious moral to this story is: if you plan to illegal botleg a concert, make sure you sit away from the annoying screaming girl.
Last edited by Jase_to_the_Izzo on Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BritishChris
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Re:Sailing on the pirate ship

Post by BritishChris » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:58 am

Haha! The joys of bootlegs :D
"We hope you take home a good feeling, take care of yourselves and never forget, Metallica loves you, man" - James Hetfield, RDS Main Arena, Dublin, Ireland, 20th August 2003

"Hey, I'm half Irish" - Kirk Hamett, RDS Main Arena, DUblin, Ireland, 20th August 2003

Burns: Oh Smithers, isn't that cute, he's planning on joining the horsey set... that is it, isn't it... you're not planning to eat it!?

I'm a finely tuned instrument of warfare, the use of my hands in combat is classed as a warcrime... now hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:47 pm

Reminds me of that woman who sat two rows in front of me at the Springsteen concert a few years ago.

I've actually heard some high quality boots in my time, that sound like professionally made deals. I think the audience was too drunk or stoned to really contribute much. ;D

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:09 pm

I'm going to a concert next weekend. :)

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:04 pm

I have to disagree about the quality of live albums (although I'm speaking strictly from a rock rather than a classical perspective). Although, technically speaking, the quality of the recording will not be up to studio standards, the songs often have a power and energy that does not come across in the studio. Added to that is the opportunity for different interpretations of the songs and for inprovisation. The results can often be far more exciting than what was achieved in the studio. Of course there have been some pretty ropey live recordings but there is also a lot of amazing stuff out there. The Zeppelin live recordings (and numerous bootlegs....), while being a little self-indulgent at times, have moments of pure power and genius. Some of the songs on Midnight Oil's "Scream in Blue" live album, knock spots off the slightly dull sounding studio versions.
Give live music a chance!
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
BritishChris
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by BritishChris » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:56 am

I know what you mean, most of the studio versions Guns n Roses songs sound very flat after listening to them live. 8)
"We hope you take home a good feeling, take care of yourselves and never forget, Metallica loves you, man" - James Hetfield, RDS Main Arena, Dublin, Ireland, 20th August 2003

"Hey, I'm half Irish" - Kirk Hamett, RDS Main Arena, DUblin, Ireland, 20th August 2003

Burns: Oh Smithers, isn't that cute, he's planning on joining the horsey set... that is it, isn't it... you're not planning to eat it!?

I'm a finely tuned instrument of warfare, the use of my hands in combat is classed as a warcrime... now hand over the Jaffa Cakes and no one gets hurt.