REVIEW:  Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge (spoilers)

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

REVIEW:  Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge (spoilers)

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed May 22, 2002 11:43 pm

Yeah, new ep on a Wednesday, how 'bout that?  Synopsis:  after various stuff happens, Homer starts a security guard/protection agency called "SpringShield" and eventually winds up in trouble with Fat Tony and the gang.

First things first....because I was busy, I only caught about half of the episode, so I can't give a proper review. :uhdrop:  However, I am pleased to announce that what I did see was awesome! :)  Despite its rehash themes, this was a very enjoyable episode that more than makes up for 'Frying Game'.  I give it a B+ at lowest. ;D

Homer is not a jerkass in this episode, and does his best to be a brave and good guy who sincerely wants to do the right thing.  Excellent use of supporting characters, with fun bits with Maggie and various others.  Some excellent music, and lots of it too.  Was pleasantly surprised to hear some Lovin' Spoonful played. :D  Some great quotes, funny sight gags.  An extremely hilarious scene where Homer literally takes two to three minutes to rattle off a list of all the jobs he's ever had in the show's history, all while Marge is doing various things. ;D  Best of all was this incredibly cool, artsy sequence (probably a spoof) with Fat Tony and a bunch of mobsters slowly driving through Springfield, the animation and music combined to make a stellar scene. ;D

Basically, its this:  I really really really want to see this episode again and in its entirety, because what I saw rocked. :)

RALPH:  Why aren't you at work, daddy?
WIGGUM:  Uh....why aren't you at school?
RALPH:  Teacher said she was tired of trying.

MARGE:  Hold your heads up high, kids.
BART:  [does so, a crack is heard in his neck]  Wow, I didn't know my chin could go up so far!
LISA:  [does the same]  Ohhh, yeahhh, there's the pride....

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Re: REVIEW:  Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge (spoile

Post by Ranman » Thu May 23, 2002 2:17 am

I also found this to be a very enjoyable episode. And I saw the whole thing. :)
It starts when Homer plugs in a dancing Santa and causes a citywide blackout, during which looting occurs (a man throws a cinderblock through the window of Cinderblock world and people steal cinderblocks; People break into King Toot's and march out playing the Notre Dame Fight Song) and the Springfield Police Force's ineptitude is made glaringly obvious. Homer then forms SpringShield with Lenny and Carl. Mayor Quimby tries to show the press that the police are still the most effective crime fighters in the city, but when they enter the police station, Chief Wiggum is blindfolded, trying to shoot a pinata (I don't know how to do the n with the ~) with a shotgun. The mayor then fires the entire police force makes SpringShield the official police. Then stuff happens and the Mafia tries to kill Homer.
The scene with the Mafia in the van was a spoof on "The Sopranos". The song in the background was the "Sopranos" theme.

(The family sits on the roof, watching the riot.)
Bart: Look at that! Looting, fires, destruction! They're living my dream, and you won't let me join them!

(A police car shows up at the riot.)
Wiggum: (over bullhorn) Alright, disperse, people! We are prepared to use force! What's that, Lou? We're not prepared? (The crowd attacks the car) Aah! Help! Call 911!
Lou: (over bullhorn) Aw, they never come.

(The next day in the living room.)
Marge: This is all your fault, Homer.
Homer: I know. I shouldn't have plugged in that dancing Santa. But I won't rest until I can put a human face on this!
(Lisa runs in crying.)
Lisa: Mom! Dad! Someone stole my Malibu Stacy collection!
Homer: Marge, does Lisa have a human face?
Marge: Yes, and it's crying, Homer.

(Homer, at the Wooly Bully, the store that a purple wool cap he found in Lisa's room came from.)
Homer: Do you sell caps?
Beatnik Clerk: Yeah.
Homer: To people?
Beatnik Clerk: Sometimes.
Homer: People with heads?
Beatnik Clerk: Occasionally.
(The "Dragnet" theme plays)

(The family eats breakfast in the kitchen, while listening to the radio.)
Marty: And now, we have local gangster, Fat Tony, with a message to Homer Simpson.
Tony: Yes, I would like for the town to know that my associates and I will gun down Homer Simpson at noon tomorrow if he has not left town by that time.
Marty: Great! Do you have a song request?
Tony: "Radar Love."
Homer: Ooh, I love this song!

(At the chuch, Homer tries to rally support after the Mafia threatens to kill him)
Homer: Come on! Who's with me?
Ned: I'm with you, Homer!
Homer: Shut up Flanders. Anybody at all? Docter Hibbert?
Hibbert: Gee, I'd like to help you, Homer, but I've got too much to live for. (chuckles)
Homer: Barney?
Barney: Sorry, Homer, but I'm a coward now, as are all recovering alcoholics.

(Tony's friends show up, consisting of several gangsters seen in the "Krusty's Daughter" episode.)
Tony: Ah, my Jersey muscle. Johnny Tightlips, how are you?
Johnny: I ain't sayin' nothin'.
Tony: Wonderful. How is your mother?
Johnny: Who says I got a motha'?
Tony: Very well. Let's roll, boys.

Marge: You can't kill my husband! Don't you see you're just perpetuating an Italian-American stereotype? Why, you could be a pizza man, an organ grinder, a... a leaning-tower builder... umm... did I mention pizza man?
Tony: (crying) You are listing all my shattered dreams.

(Homer confronts the Mob.)
Homer: You can kill me, but somebody will take my place. If you kill him, somebody'll take his place. And it pretty much stops there. after that, the city is yours, really.
Tony: Okay.

Tony: Johnny Tightlips! Did you see the shooter?
Johnny: I see a lotta things.
Tony: You know, you could be a little more helpful.
Last edited by Ranman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
-- Ian Jones-Quarty, discussing La Pucelle Tactics
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu May 23, 2002 1:12 pm

Cool.  Great ep. :D  Didn't know that was a 'Sopranos' spoof, but it makes sense.  I love that scene! :)

Oh, and I guess Graham was right about Maggie and guns.  Hee hee. ;D

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu May 23, 2002 3:36 pm

Aren't I always? ;)

Hmm, I'm looking forward to see this ep on TV.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu May 23, 2002 5:53 pm

As am I.  Again. ;)

There are a few clunkers like 'Frying Game' here and there, but I'm happy to state the opinion that Season 13 has generally been the best season since 10, or even 9! :)

--MST3K interview

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Thu May 23, 2002 9:19 pm

I. Loved. This. Episode. 'Nuff said. ;D
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Fri May 24, 2002 4:31 pm

I missed this one on Wednesday, but hopefully it will air again soon in reruns.  It sounds like it was a good episode.  Were there more Sopranos' spoofs, or just that one scene?
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ranman » Sat May 25, 2002 2:48 am

There's just the one, but it's a couple minutes long and it's really cool and artsy.
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
-- Ian Jones-Quarty, discussing La Pucelle Tactics
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Sat May 25, 2002 4:29 pm

:) I just saw this episode yesterday.  I really liked it a lot. It had a lot of funny jokes and gags. I loved the Soprano's scene, I'm so glad the intro to the show got Simpsonized like that.  I was rather fond of the ending as well.
Last edited by aoifestorm on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sat May 25, 2002 6:49 pm

This is a splendid episode! And it would be splendid even in the middle of Season 8! The totally pointless Blue Ribbon group, Homer's brilliant long list of former jobs (including "smithers"), that view of Springfield as we've never seen it before, Maggie's role... oh man. Wow. I love it.

Instant classic.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Marco

Post by Marco » Sat May 25, 2002 6:53 pm

:o :o :o :o :o
well, to be sure...
:o :o :o :o :o
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Sun May 26, 2002 3:10 pm

Good God.  Did Chris just say she loved a Season 13 episode?  *dies*

--MST3K interview