Background on Jerry

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Background on Jerry

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:28 pm

Okay, as the majority of you know, I am going to (eventually) introduce an original character, Jerry Simpson. I'm writing this thread to tell you all about all the suff about him that I have in my head without clogging up my scripts with excessive exposition.

Basic History: Jerry is the cousin of Bart, Lisa, and Maggie, and is about 15 years old. He's the son of one of the Simpson men seen in "Lisa the Simpson", and he's also a supergenius, albeit a VERY eccentric one. His parents, not exactly the epitomes of common sense, went on an ocean cruise that went straight through the Bermuda Triangle and disappeared. Thus, Jerry comes to live with OFF. He's turned the Simpsons' basement into a lab of sorts where he attempts to shatter the laws of physics. It's a hobby of his.

Genetic Corrections: Some of you may be wondering how Jerry could be supergenius, because of the whole "Simpson gene" thing. Well, when he was younger, Jerry was fortunate enough to learn about the gene in advance, and managed to make a crude device that negated most of the dumbening effects of the gene in time. Of course, the gene did manage to have some effect on him, which is why he acts so weird.

Why The Hell Did You Create This Guy?: I'm not entirely sure why I created Jerry, myself, but I've come up with some theoretical reasons:

1. I was coming with dialogue that wasn't in-character for anyone else, and I needed someone to say it.
2. He's a spoof of overly-ridiculous "new" characters.
3. I wanted a character who was a lot like myself, which would make it easier for me to write him.

I think that about covers it, but if anyone has any questions about Jerry, just ask.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Background on Jerry

Post by gkscotty » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:31 pm

3. I wanted a character who was a lot like myself, which would make it easier for me to write him.
No offence meant SD, but that is the path to the dark side. Mary-Sue's lead to lemons, lemons lead to slash, slash leads to suffering.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:52 pm

*LOL*

S'alright Stretch, we all tend to come up with characters like that now and then.  As long as you don't actively treat him as a super-cjaracter and give him the spotlight over the rest of the Simpson clan, you'll be fine. :)
Last edited by archonix on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Hera_Potter
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by Hera_Potter » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:40 pm

What's Jerry look like? How old is he? What does he sound like? Do you have any quotes from him? *pant pant*
Retrospecticus: Immortalizing Your Awkward Phase
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:21 pm

As long as you don't actively treat him as a super-character and give him the spotlight over the rest of the Simpson clan, you'll be fine. :)
Heh, no worries there. His introductory episode focuses on the family as a whole, and he's barely even present in at least one episode of my spin-off.
What's Jerry look like? How old is he? What does he sound like? Do you have any quotes from him? *pant pant*
Well, as I mentioned, he's about 15. He's about half a head shorter than Homer, has messy brown hair (he sees combing as a waste of time), and always wears those big plastic safety goggles they have in high-school science labs, because "you never know." What does he sound like? I'm not sure, really... As for quotes, THAT I have:

*after being hit in the head* "My Skipper-senses are tingling, little buddy!"

"Well, after my parents disappeared, I decided to move to a magical, far-away place, where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer; where the shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long and anyone on the street would gladly shave your back for a nickel! ...Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the plane tickets, so I came here. *notices OFF staring at him* What??"

"Hmm...judging by the ruined buildings, the reddened sky, the ominous robots flying everywhere, as well as your attire and general attitude, I'm guessing that this is some bleak, horrible future where an iron-fisted tyrant rules the earth and you are a member of a small band of courageous rebels planning to overthrow said tyrant and restore the natural order to the world."  "Wow, you're good."
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Craig_Fotheringham

Post by Craig_Fotheringham » Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:20 am

Not meaning to sound rude here, but have you taken a Litmus test regarding Jerry?

Sorry, I have to agree with Steve; I detect the distinct smell of a minor Gary-Stu.

He's a cool character, but...what Steve said.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:33 am

Is there any kind of test out there?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:13 pm

;) I guess we'll see how the Jerry experiment works when you use him in a piece, Stretch Dude.  I think it could work.
Would anyone like to fill me in about what a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu is?   ;)
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:43 pm

I found a Mary Sue litmus test (on FF.net, nonetheless!), though that one referred to Beatles fanfic.  :uhdrop:

I am pretty darn sure I can find the URL, or my name isn't Kasmila.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:57 pm

"Well, after my parents disappeared, I decided to move to a magical, far-away place, where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer; where the shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long and anyone on the street would gladly shave your back for a nickel! ...Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the plane tickets, so I came here. *notices OFF staring at him* What??"
LOL Gary Sue or not you gotta admit that's funny! ;D

After all reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle sci fi. :naughty:
Last edited by IDPStan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:27 pm

*LOL*

Steve's got a point, though. What with the general excitability of some (not all) fanfic-writing nerds who have just reached puberty... well, certain fantasies are indulged in. And they give Mary Sues a bad name, if it had a good one from the start.

"Sephiroth is now *married*? Ooh, I smell the cheap cologne of Mary Sue..."
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Itchy
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Itchy » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:18 am

Sounds like an good character to me.
Extreme Itchy and Scratchy now with 29% more pointless violence than before.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:34 pm

OK, here's the totally illegal link to the "Beatles fanfiction Mary Sue litmus test" at FF.net, sorry. Just for your perusal, because I think it's a humorous and well-written comment on the Mary Sue plague. Most of the questions are valid in a non-Beatles context too, or my name isn't Destiny Yukie Paulina Cybele Mae Michelle Ritza Pineapple.

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=597079
Last edited by c_nordlander on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:39 am

But your name isn't... uh, never mind.  :uhdrop:
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Craig_Fotheringham

Post by Craig_Fotheringham » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:08 pm

::)