Please excuse my uneventful absence.

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Please excuse my uneventful absence.

Post by Ranman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:44 am

Yep, I'm still around. You didn't think I'd just disappear, did you?
Well, I did. But I'm back again. Here's a picture to prove it.

I've been playing Metroid Prime an awful lot lately, and earlier today I watched the entire Alien series again, so I not surprised that I drew this (I'd have been surprised if I didn't). This took somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes from when I started drawing it, but I'm still not entirely pleased with it yet. If you spot any mistakes or anything, I've probably already seen them, but go ahead and tell me anyway.
I fully intend to color this, by the way. A floor will be added at that point.
Attachments
SamusVsAlienResize.jpg
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
-- Ian Jones-Quarty, discussing La Pucelle Tactics
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown
Jon
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re:Please excuse my uneventful absence.

Post by Jon » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:51 am

Well, I know nothing about Alien, so I can't exactly comment on that part (as human anatomy does not....exactly apply to aliens).

But for Samus, despite getting her armor down fairly well, she IS a tad out of proportion. She has enormous legs, but a tiny torso and arms.

The second most noticable thing is Samus' stance...very awkward and stiff. I of all people should know how hard this is to do, but try to make her look more natural.

I've heard that guy's an idiot.
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ranman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:24 am

I already fixed the proportion problem. The actual problem with her legs is that her upper legs (hip to knee) are too long. With life-like proportions, the length from shoulder to hip, hip to knee, and knee to ankle should be roughly the same (so said my college art professors).
As for her stance, halfway between standing and kneeling is, according to the military, the most stable position in which to fire a heavy weapon at an upward angle between 0 and 45 degrees. Although her legs should be switched, or else the recoil, if not the incoming alien, will plant her firmly on her @$$.
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:28 am

Alien, meet Samus.

Very nice picture! Jon made some good nitpicks, and, well, very neat.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ranman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:24 am

Since I drew the original entirely from memory, I decided to go and find some actual pictures of Samus and Aliens. I fixed Samus's armor because I seem to have combined the Varia suit, which I intended her to be wearing, with her Fusion suit, which I don't like and consider to be an excuse for Samus to be rendered in a skin-tight latex costume. As for the Xenomorph, I'd intentionally left it unfinished because I was unsure about the details (you don't often see their entire bodies in the movies).
There are still a few tweaks I want to make before I get to inking and coloring, but here's the revised version so far. If you can point out all the changes I made, you too much free time.
Attachments
SamusVsAlienRevisedResize.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------
-- Unknown
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:16 pm

Nice pic. 5/5
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.