Tragedy in London

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Tragedy in London

Post by gkscotty » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:35 pm

I want to say I'm very proud of the people of London. In the midst of all the deaths, blood and uncertainty they never did what the terrorists wanted them to do - panic. They stayed calm and stoic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:00 pm

Well Steve i posted that comment right after the worst happened so i was mislead. But i must agree with you. I know other people who lives there and all agreed that there was NONE of the panic, histerism and othewrise expected effects from a terrorist attack. So i was wrong and i'm very glad about it.
Last edited by Marco on Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:15 pm

Awful news to wake up to, today.  My heart goes out to all the victims, injured, and their families.
I realize London has seen a lot of this in its day, but these kinds of attacks were what I was expecting after the planes that day, so it's like a nightmare, in my mind.
Sick, sick tragedy.  Too many tears today, and I feel emotionally sick to my stomach.

One thing that gives me some comfort, is the resilience of Londoners.  They say the Underground will be back in service tomorrow, and it seems like people are seriously working overtime to take care of the injured, investigate the sites, and trying to get life back to normal.  I hope the phones will be working better tomorrow, so people can make sure everyone is ok.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:23 pm

Al Qaeda claimed responsability. Hm, yes. Like that means much. It's the same old story, all over again - more polictical filth and lies. Same stuff. I don't want to spark some heated polictical talk here, but just... the people from this place here are too old and jaded to believe those "heroes and villains" stories, to put it short. All that matters to me is the people who died without knowing why, and the people related to them. That's what really gets me. In the end, the innocents are the only ones who really suffer.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Apparently former NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani (mayor during 9/11) was in London and a mere several yards away from the very first blast when it happened, and the London police have discovered at least two unexploded bombs in the city.  Man...

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Bloody hell....  My heart goes out to everyone affected.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:18 pm

My brother commutes through London every day but fortunately he was OK - it certainly brings it home to you though.  I'll be severely pissed-off if Blair uses this as an argument for ID cards - hopefully he won't be that opportunistic.  I am thankful that everyone acted so calmly and I'm really impressed with the way the emergency services handled this.  Assuming that the scum that did this didn't go up with their bombs (the speculation is that the bus bomb was a suicide attack, intentional or otherwise) then I hope they'll be disappointed. 
Here's hoping the police or the army will be paying them a visit shortly.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Jase_to_the_Izzo
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Jase_to_the_Izzo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:10 am

Very sad day. However, as it always does, I'm confident that the city will rise to the occastion.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:45 am

Sick, sick tragedy. Too many tears today, and I feel emotionally sick to my stomach.
You should be used to war and violence by this time. Just be glad you didn't live through the 40's.
It's the same old story, all over again - more polictical filth and lies.
Whacha' talkin' aboot Willie?
Assuming that the scum that did this didn't go up with their bombs...
How easy would it be to hop on a bus, ride a few short stops, and then get off only to 'accidentally' leave your backpack behind? Somehow, I doubt this was kamikaze.

In the end, this is pretty minor stuff, only over hyped because of its location and proximity to overly vocal people. However, it defiantly won't be the last, be sure to check the news for when this happens in Canada, or some other rarely targeted country.
Last edited by Ekko on Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:17 pm

Ekko wrote: You should be used to war and violence by this time. Just be glad you didn't live through the 40's.
I really don't want to get into an argument with you, but please don't assume that someone you don't know isn't still being effected by things that happened then. Thank you.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:07 am

Emphasis on 'should'. And I know you're affected by these things, it's not an assumption, you said it yourself. I try to avoid verbal fights against people with higher intellects than mine, so I won't push this any further. I'm just saying that war and violence are a perfectly normal part of mankind's existence, and people should learn to accept it.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:32 am

I respect your point of view, Ekko, but hey, I'd prefer to live in a world without violence and wars, no matter how stupid or boring it could be. It's not normal imo, it's a perversion.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:57 am

Who wouldn't want to live in a world of peace over a world of war Serge? Everyone I'm sure.

Well, except the Bush supporters, of course.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:02 am

That was taking it a bit too far, I think.  We try to avoid political talk like that here, and for good reason.

I could start a flaming row with you right about now, but I'm not going to.  Just please don't say things like that in the future.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:25 pm

That was taking it a bit too far, I think
Yes. Please don't use a thread which is intended to show sympathy towards victims of a terrorist attack to make political comments (particulally when making sweeping generalisations that are almost certainly untrue and liable to offend). You're also weakening what I felt was a very valid initial position you took:
Just look at the suicide bombers in Israel and Palestine, not to mention some of the Middle East, where this happens every day, but rarely makes the news.
I'm with you on this. There's plenty of stuff happening in the world today which harms more people, but doesn't get half the attention from the media. It frustrates and irritates me too. But this is hardly the time and place to start ranting about such things (if only for the sake of good manners and tact).

You've stated your position, and I think everyone's listened. But if you keep on hammering us with it, chances are you'll piss people off and they'll dismiss what you've said, undoing all that. Or the way things are going someone will take real umbrage to something, a proper flamewar will ensue, and the thread will have to be closed. And that'd look real good :P .
Last edited by D.B. on Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner