Infest

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Infest

Post by Casper » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:42 pm

This is a pretty pointless topic, but, has any one from England noticed an increase in 'Daddy Long-legs'? Those flying things with six HUGE legs are swarming the place!

I had hours on end killing them in my caravan, then came back home to realise there here too!

This time its not just me, there IS somthing going on.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Infest

Post by archonix » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:48 pm

The cold winter killed off a lot of the wasps that would normally hunt them down, and the current glut of magpies has killed off a lage number of the songbirds and other small birds that would also keep their numbers down. I've had three in the room in the last hour. No cat to take care of them tonight.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:55 pm

I have one in the room now. I'm too knackerd to take it out now.

I knew somthing was up, dunno which I'd prefere though...
Wasp's or daddy long-legs...
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:20 am

We have cockroaches.  As skeeved out as spiders make me, daddy long legs are nothing to cockroaches.

On the plus side, we have one of those likkle adorable velvety-skinned lizards living in the tree that leans into our front porch.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:04 am

These aren't spiders. They're big flying beasties with legs about as long as a piece of string that flutter about and flop in to everything like a demented dust-bunny.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
C.Victoria

Post by C.Victoria » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:22 pm

There was a huge Daddy-Long Legs in my bathroom last night. I'd tried to kill it with a hand towel but it eventually killed itself by flying into the light on the ceiling. xD

We don't get any interesting animals or insects, here..apart from toads, which hop around the streets and our backgardens from the lakes which surround my village. My mom hates them.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:39 pm

Molloy the Catburglar wrote: We have cockroaches.  As skeeved out as spiders make me, daddy long legs are nothing to cockroaches.

On the plus side, we have one of those likkle adorable velvety-skinned lizards living in the tree that leans into our front porch.
Haven't seen any roaches in my neck of the state, but I've been seeing a bunch of these huge flies-on-steroids bugs flying around outside my window.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Tigersrock144

Post by Tigersrock144 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:58 pm

as much as I HATE flying insects daddy long legs make me laugh! I find them funny :P My mum hates them so if my dad or brother isn't there to catch them I have to! :( which I find impossible because they always fly up in difficult places to reach :/
Anyway daddy long legs tend to pop up everywere at autumn time o_0
If you wish to add me on your msn contact list, Please notify me first by sending me a note or something
Thank you
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:07 pm

A daddy long legs landed in my beer last night.
... of course, *this* means war.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Terry-At-Work

Post by Terry-At-Work » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:23 pm

Are we talking about the same bug here?  In the States, Daddy-Long-Legs are spider-like creatures, but I don't remember them ever flying.  Is it a cultural difference?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Apparently, "daddy long-legs" is used for two distinct creatures. One is a fly (it is also called "crane fly"). I have to assume that's the airborne one I've had many occasions to be acquainted with. The other one is indeed an arachnid (Phalangium opilio).

The spiders... are not insects
But in the war they will side with the insects!

(-Bill Bailey. You didn't think I could leave him out of this, did you?)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:13 pm

I don't care if it flies or not, but if one of those... abominations ever DARES to come within a 10 meters range from me, i will take the most drastic action i can, uncaring of the consequences to my surroundings and people that might accidentally be passing by.

...did you say it had long legs?
* SimpReal starts screaming like a schoolgirl, runs away eradicating cables/headphones/seats and slams every door he finds shut.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:26 pm

Yes, incredibly long, thin legs that seem virtually useless and flap around like bits of cotton when they're flying.

Ooh, speaking of spiders, we had a huge loft spider in the house the other day. It's body was at least the size of my thumbnail and it had some legs as long as my little finger. It could move fast too. Damne spiders. I suspect that's the "daddy long-legs" of yore though, as Chris says, it applies to the ever-evil crane fly these days too.

I didn't kill it, if anyone asked. It's an old man to have gotten so big and killing it would be disrespectful. I let it out of the window instead. :)
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:27 pm

AAAAaaaa*crash* *thump*AAaa *smash*AAAaA *slam* AaaAAAAAAA....

Hey Graham, did you pay much for this vase?
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:31 pm

I was working at a day camp, and the American (and Canadian) kindof daddy longlegs crawled ON MY HEAD. I was so scared.
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?