Then they came for the Smurfs, and no one spoke up...

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
cuteswan

Then they came for the Smurfs, and no one spoke up...

Post by cuteswan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:10 am

The Smurfs are being wiped out... by Unicef!  What's next -- the Teletubbies getting carjacked?  :(
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Re: Then they came for the Smurfs, and no one spoke up...

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:44 am

I heard about this.  Sheesh...

Trying to get a point across to people is one thing, but whether it's war or eating healthy food or HIV, I wish people would leave beloved childhood cartoons and icons out of it.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:26 am

I agree. (Oh, and let me add drug abuse to that list.) Children can find ways to emotionally scar themselves without resorting to public service messages.

However, there's something about the idea of a nuclear Smurf holocaust that appeals to me. *hands out medals to the pilots*
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
jenny
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by jenny » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:50 pm

Excellent! It's like an acid trip gone bad/funny.
HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:28 am

I read about that in GAFF this week. Something about that idea sounds interesting/right... It's just intriguing that Smurfs getting bombed causes more shock than real people getting slaughtered and butchered on real bombings. I guess the real thing has become too trivial and easy to cope with, already... the Iraqi people are much more distant than Smurfs, anyway.

I just don't think the campaign is that effective taken as an anti-war campaign, but it's still interesting. It's not like I would like seeing my childhood heroes being killed in bombings, but that's exactly the point.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Jase_to_the_Izzo
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Jase_to_the_Izzo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:58 am

I think this is another example of why the UN needs to be replaced with a worlld body of cartoon characters.
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:59 am

R.I.P. Smurfette 1981-2005

Well, there was a time I loved the Smurfs - when I was 6 years old or so. Not nearly old enough to enjoy Smurfette's bimbo-qualities, and when that time had finally come, the whole concept of the show didn't appeal to me anymore, for some reason... huh.
Sorry, Smurfette, if only you were in FOP or AGU...
And now she's dead. Wow, didn't see that coming. I mean, the crying baby, that's sad indeed, but not nearly as sad as the image of a dead Smurfette at the left of the screen. I don't care much for all those other blue freaks, but see for yourself, surely this cutie doesn't deserve to die, or does she?
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/15/smurfette1yf.gif

(btw. I lost track of the show's plotlines a long time ago - was she the baby's mother?)

And some memorable quotes from the article:

"Philippe Henon, a spokesman for UNICEF Belgium, said his agency had set out to shock, after concluding that traditional images of suffering in Third World war zones had lost their power to move television viewers."

True, sadly. And it also has something to do with short attention spans. 20.000 earthquake victimes in Pakistan? Oh look, a birdie! What's for dinner?

"We wanted something that was real war - Smurfs losing arms, or a Smurf losing a head - but they said no."

A Smurfs snuff movie - made for the next instalment of "Faces of Death" - that would be... something. :o
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:52 pm

I have mixed feelings about this.  While they are undoubtedly making a fair point, I don't think traumatising young kids is a good way of going about it.  There is also more than a slight whiff of playing the media with this one.  Sadly, I think it is true that a lot of people would find the image of the Smurfs getting bombed more shocking than the real thing.  Whether this is because we are becoming more hardened to suffering or because of the juxtaposition between a familier cartoon and graphic violence, I am not sure.  To this extent it's a shrewd move by UNICEF.  However, the cynical part of me says that this is more to do with getting column inches than raising money.  Another cynical part of me wonders whether the Washington Post would have bothered reporting it if it hadn't been a UN agency involved.....

There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:19 pm

The advert wasn't aimed at young children, was it? As far as I read, the biggest target were the adults - more specifically, their childhood memories. As far as freaking children out, I think there are some actual children's shows that do the job much better...
-- Falcão
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:58 pm

It wasn't specifically aimed at young children, but it seems to have been produced in order to attract them, as most people would see the happy smurfing at the beginning and smurf their children to smurf the rest of the ad, at which point they'd all be smurfed in the head by the smurfing bombs. It really smurfs me off when people do that...
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:11 pm

Yeah, it's true. There's definitely a bit of hipocrisy behind all of that, unfortunately.

Besides, showing such gruesome campaings to the "common people" wouldn't help much, would they? They should focus their attention to making adverts to the politicians, depincting missiles falling on their mansions, their vaults of gold and their armies... Wouldn't it work better? :P
-- Falcão
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Hmm... such an advert might face calls for it to be turned in to a reality tv show.

I'd watch it. ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
arpulver
Demi-God
Demi-God

Post by arpulver » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:05 am

tommy wrote: And some memorable quotes from the article:

"Philippe Henon, a spokesman for UNICEF Belgium, said his agency had set out to shock, after concluding that traditional images of suffering in Third World war zones had lost their power to move television viewers."

True, sadly. And it also has something to do with short attention spans. 20.000 earthquake victimes in Pakistan? Oh look, a birdie! What's for dinner?
That's what really caught my attention, because they're probably right. And yeah, everybody did pretty much ignore that earthquake. Quoting Jon Stewart's "America: The Book," the RIP Conversion Rate is as follows: 2,000 Massacred Congolese = 500 Drowned Bangladeshis = 45 Fire-bombed Iraqis = 12 Car-bombed Europeans = 1 Snipered American.

The question- where do beloved cartoon characters fit into the equation?
Back in my day, we didn't have none of this php or frames or auto-whatsit. I ran this place single-handed doing the HTML on Notepad! And it was better! Everything was subject to my star ratings and if it was crap, I durn said so! And speakin' of crap, these newbies are getting on my nerves! You can have yer Nordlanders and Dawsons- give me a Stephen Boswell script any day of the week!
papa smurf
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by papa smurf » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:08 pm

As everyone knows Smurfs can never die.  viva la smurfs!
Smurfs are CRAZY GOOD!..................................  i love  me some smurfs. well i guess 0 is better then -2...... not a much better mind you,... but a little
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:45 pm

Oh, they can die. There are...ways.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH