Soul Calibur 3 fun

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Soul Calibur 3 fun

Post by gkscotty » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:31 pm

First off, the mini-review - it rocks. If you were even slightly interested in buying this, you should. If you hadn't considered it and have a PS2, do so. Great fun, (though the 1P modes are very hard if you want the best endings) and VS modes rock.

In this thread I'm going to show off two of the characters I made in the Create-A-Soul mode. I think you will quickly be able to guess the theme. I've used a little artistic licence in a few places though, to spruce things up in a place or two, get around the CAS constraints or make up for clothing items that are unavailable.

First off, a video of them fighting. (Realplayer, 14.2 MB. Sorry, I tried to DivX encode them but couldn't find settings that produced something watchable. Anyone want to give me a hand?)

Secondly, the pictures.

Hopefully recognisable as Bart. I put him in the Knight job, so he has access to the Lance, Iron Sword, Rapier, and Siegfried and Raphael's movelists. Young Man 2 voice, but I kinda wish you could turn off the speeches... if you watch the video, you'll understand there's pretty much no way to make them say something remotely in character. :-)
Face isn't right either IMO, but best I could manage...
Spiky Hair and a Cloak.
An orange Worker's Shirt, with a black Sleeveless Shirt beneath and Warrior's Armour on top. I liked the Carrying Belt so quite a few of my chars have it.
Blue Fire Dragon pants and Cloth Shoes.

And...

Lisa, naturally. In the Sage job, so she has Chinese Sword, Sword and Shield, Staff, and Cassandra and Sophitia's movelists. Girl 2's voice.
Unruly Short Hair, a Brace Circlet, Blush and a white Diamond Choker.
Sarashi, the Alchemist's Dress, Type X Gloves, Miniskirt and an identical Carrying Belt. The gloves are long to make her dress strapless, otherwise it would have sleeves. The belt helps hide the seam between the dress and the skirt, so they look like they are joined.
Knee Socks and Kung Fu Shoes.

Pretty good fun making these... I've filled both my memory cards now, which is 20 fighters. :-) I'll show more probably - there's a few special guests in there that only longtime members may recognise. ;-)
Last edited by gkscotty on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Soul Calibur 3 fun

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:19 pm

That's fairly awesome, Scotty. I'm hoping to get it for Christmas.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:53 pm

Bump - I was going to review these, but for some reason they slipped my mind.

These are great, particularly Lisa (possibly because I haven't seen enough fanart with teenage/adult Bart to get used to him that age, though). The way you've done their clothes is very good, particularly Lisa's dress. Great use for a great game.

I'm looking forward to more!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks a lot, Stretch and Chris. Appreciate it. More work than you'd think has gone into these, and I'm still making more of them... ;-)

Well, here's some more. Hope you recognise them.

"But my mom says I'm cool!"

ImageImage
I needed to give him something very geeky. The shoes fit. ;-)

I, uh, caught him blinking.

And the Video...

Here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:21 pm

gkscotty wrote:And the Video...

Here
...You made Milhouse badass. Wow.

And that's a surprisingly Nelson-like voice. ;D

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:49 am

For once, Luanne is right!

I love these, particularly Milhouse. He looks camp as heck, but that's great. I love how you managed to get glasses with red rims for him. Nelson is cool as well, and the battle is pretty hilarious. There voices actually sound in character.

Oh, now I've seen the Bart vs. Lisa video, I loved that as well. Particularly the bit where Lisa beats up Bart with the Magic Size-Changing Stick. These are hilarious.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:57 am

Well, I said I'd go out and get this game, and I did!  Damn good game I reckon.

Love your creations Steve.  Was gonna ask why you didn't change their skin tones to a more yellowy look, but then I remembered who I was talking to. ;)

I too am a little disappointed with the voices.  I hoped for an option to select and switch phrases and actions, but it doesn't look to be the case.

Well, keep on making more. :)   I'm still unlocking outfits and stuff to get the right look.  Well, trying to, anyway.  Lousy 1P Modes making me work for my rewards...

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:31 pm

Cool to hear you like the game Alex, it certainly is neat.

Here's some more...

Jessica Lovejoy. The face is perfect IMO.
ImageImage
ImageImage

And...

Allison Taylor. Popular opinion (I asked Tony) said the glasses were a good idea.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Video to follow...

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:36 am

Late response again... well, I haven't got much to say. Both are as good as all your previous ones. Jessica's face is indeed perfect, and you've given them both great outfits. Allison does look good in glasses, shame there wasn't a leather pouch necklace option.

Looking forward to the video.

What's that around Jessica's neck? A collar with a bell on? Is she a catgirl now?  :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:54 pm

I rented SC3 and now feel the need to buy it.  And now, thanks to you, I also feel the need to fill up some character slots with recreations of your characters.  Or, rather, attempts at making them - I'd have to beat the 1P modes to get all teh stuff needed, and that's a tall order, even for a guy who's logged something in the neighborhood of 300 hours in the first two SC games.

Something bothers me, though - how do you get them to switch weapons mid-match like in the video?  I didn't know that was possible.

Ah, well, it's still brilliant.
Back from the dead!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:12 pm

Vulgaris Prime wrote:Something bothers me, though - how do you get them to switch weapons mid-match like in the video?  I didn't know that was possible.
I confess... it's done with the magic of Adobe Premiere. Each video is stiched together from three or four other ones.
I just thought it would make it more interesting to watch, y'know.

zerobeat
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by zerobeat » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:01 am

The create a player mode is awesome.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:19 am

After spending most of the time since Christmas playing ToS over and over before discovering how well CotS pays last week, I finally got around to fooling around with the Character Creation. So far I've done Harley Quinn (as a Dancer), Poison Ivy (as a Pirate, so she'll have access to Ivy's moves), Raven (as a Sage), and a nearly-perfect-looking Starfire (as a Barbarian). I say "nearly-perfect" because I haven't unlocked the armor shop's entire inventory yet, so I have her with the Semi-Long Straight hair as a placeholder. The face is dead-on, though.

I draw too, dammit!