An idea.

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

An idea.

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Well going to Mexico city really helped me a lot on the stress department.  I was so burned out here at my ciber-cafe that I really needed it.  Some of you folks know how tiresome is to work on computers all day; repairing computers, building computers,  fixing any little problem that comes out with the connections without counting the webpages. Whew! Is mental all the time, and believe me sometimes is even more tiresome than a physical job.

While at Mexico city my mind opened up and I came up with this: 

With Graham's thumbs up of course.  I want to pitch an idea;  We haven't had another of those "contest" for quite some time, and I think those bring up a lot of people's talent out of their lazy-hands. :-)   We have so much talent here, that's a fact.   Some of the originality from artist and writers have astonish us all for years.  I for one think that a good piece of simpson art does not have to be perfectly on model. Its more of a sublte thing to it to be admirable.

Graham did a woderful job on the last contest, but seriously, we really needed more contestants.  For that reason I'm planning to go on a search throughout the web looking for artists " simpson fan artists".  You'll be surprised there is more that we can count on.

Another thing I want to do a litle different is to separate  the artist and writers into 2 groups:  Beginner or Intermediate. How can we decide this? Well, I'm pretty sure you all know where you belong.  And don't worry; being begginer or inter doesn't have anything to do with who you are.  This is all fan artwork, a chance to express our feelings without going overboard if you all know what I mean.  Not sex or gore.

Now, note that this is some idea I came up with, nothing is final yet until I get your feedback, people.

You may wonder what is it in for me?  Well, the pleasure for participating sometimes is not enough to motivate, I know and understand, so I came up with an idea.  It may sound a little unorthodox, but here it is. 

There are going to be two kinds of contests.  The writing one might want some book or something regarding what he/she does while the drawing one some kind of anatomy book.  It all depends.  We are roughly around 50 20 regulars here.  How much can each of us cooperate to get some money for the prizes? Because you know, this is for the good of the forum. ;)

So, I don't want to come out with the amount myself, instead, I'd like to know what's your position on this.  Then we could go further with the ideas.  If this goes to the final stage and gets to work nicely, I won't participate.  I'll be focusing on reviewing the art.  And I might need help from someone to review the writing, cause I'm not that of an expert on that one.  Also, it would be nice if there's two reviewers for each kind of contest.   Sheana, it would give me great pleasure if you could help me out with this if this gets to happens.  And I know there are more that one pretty good writer in here. :-)

If anyone has a question about this, and would like to ask or give opinions privately, send me a private message.  'Till later!  ;)

* On top of that, I'm willing to give some extra prizes on my behalf.  A full color calendar done by me for the year 2007.  I've been working on it before I even thought about this.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Re: An idea.

Post by Terry Y » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Sounds like a plan.  I might even participate this time around!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:52 pm

Prizes are the one thing I felt the last competition truly lacked. I'd like to see what others have to say about this, too, but I quite like the idea.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:30 am

I, for one, am looking forward to another contest, and I'd be happy to see more participants. (Though I'm sure we have a lot of talented people on this board who weren't in the first one.) I'm not so sure about splitting the participants into categories, but I guess that's something we'll decide later.

I personally don't find prizes that important, but I'll naturally chip in with money if that's what's needed.

As for the previous contest bringing out bad feelings, I frankly don't understand why. It was a fair and well thought-out contest. Still, I guess there's always room for improvements. I can't think of any at the moment...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:03 am

I think like the rest that a contest is a good idea. And I suppose I'd do little harm to sign myself up.

I've never been here during a contest, I joined later on. So it will be interesting to see.

As for money for the prizes, if I can get away with it, sure. I'll help. :)
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:40 pm

I want to sign up!
I AM THE BLAZER! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:43 pm

Commisar Geranovich wrote: Prizes are the one thing I felt the last competition truly lacked. I'd like to see what others have to say about this...
Funny you should mention that. I'm still waiting for my prize from June '05..

I'm cool with it though, because these contests aren't about the prizes, they're more for fun, and partly for bragging rights. Friendly competition mostly. That being said, I'm all for this new contest, and I'd like to register if I may.

And as for the dispute over the last tourney, that was solely my fault; I was totally out of line with the Lack-of-Lisa theory. I've no legitimate excuse, and I know it's probably too late, but I'm offering my apology. Thousand pardons.
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 pm

Lets just forget about the last one, and start focusing on ideas for this one coming up.  It woun't be an easy task, but GFC is a forum still controled by administrators and moderators who really care about its quiality.  Lets just wait and see what happens.   But most of all , I would like to make sure you guys want me as a judge.  I'll be impartial.  Or  you prefer to have several other ones to avoid bad understandements. That way there won´t be any hard feelings of favoritism, which of course I won't do, anyway.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:59 pm

I officially endorse this product and/or event. Hey hey!

Seriously though, I like this idea and I'll support it however I can. I fyour'e going ro raise money you'd better try and get that sorted out before the competition starts but I'm sure you can figure out the details.

And Ekko, if that parcel hasn't arrived by now then it's probably never going to. Sorry.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm

I really would like to take part in this, prize or no.  It'll be the first time I would be involved in a contest on this site, believe it or not!

I just need something to make me be productive.  And this could do that!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 am

this Contest will be cool for me to see because i only recently joined. i don't want to sign up for it though, except to help. i hate being trodded out in front of people to be mocked or praised. i don't trust my skills enough, but i would like to help. :)
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.