Tag, you're out!

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Tag, you're out!

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:18 am

I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Re: Tag, you're out!

Post by Officer 1BDI » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:28 am

I don't even need to click on that link to see what you're lamenting.

First dodgeball, now tag.  On the news, they made it sound as though one school in particular was banning recess altogether.  Now, whether that's true or just me mishearing things, I'm not sure, but it seems to be slowly coming down to that.

Flag football was one of the few games I liked playing in elementary school PE.  I'm sure that's dead and gone by now, too.  :-\  Why, over-protective parents, why?!

EDIT: Meh, clicked on the link anyway. :P
Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.
Near collosions of what?  Do school children now charge at each other at top speed to head-butt the next tagee?
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 am

Man, even just twenty years ago I was running around burning the hell out of my back on hot METAL slides and grating all the skin off of both of my knees after falling while playing tag in gravel.  *headshake*

I can understand that line of reasoning if the games of tag are being used as a form of bullying between the kids, but if it's just a friendly yard game than it's taking things beyond too far.  And don't they have recess aids around anymore to moniter things so they DON'T take that one step too far?
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Andreas » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:12 am

Actually, this is quite scary...  :o  I just imagine that those parents aren't much older than me, and I think "our" generation was basically the last one who grew up completely without computers, video games and other "modern" stuff, so we were outside the whole day, ripping our clothes, hitting our knees and whatnot. The same people who grew up like this are now that overprotective, prohibiting all the fun for their kids? Sad world, really...  :(
Andreas

Tony_Baritone

Post by Tony_Baritone » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:13 am

I'm guessing this is less the result of overprotective parents than litigious ones.  Still a bleedin' shame no matter what. ::)
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:59 am

Oh fine, discourage our increasingly obese and out of shape kids from running around outdoors! 
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:44 am

This is appalling.

I'm a skateboarder, I have a pain threshold as a result from these 'silly' games we used to play.
When your young, you fall over, you get back up again. Sometime in your teens when you fall over, it becomes more difficult to get back up. Pain kicks in more.
However, doing this kinda stuff is the only reason I'm still skating after 6 years, you just get used to it. Kids have to get used to pain in my opinion. I'm not saying crack every kid over the head with a wrench, let them learn for themselves.
Are parents just becoming more and more feble? God damn it! The next thing I'll hear is its illegal to play 'British bulldogs'.
[/rant]

Grah!  *goes for milk*
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:01 pm

Terrible, isn't it? I didn't know our kids were made of porcelain.

I wonder if that kind of thing is what's in stock for my nieces.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:08 pm

More than likely. All the games I used to play have been banned or treated like they're somehow evil. You won't see kids playing British Bulldog or just running around these days. I'm suprised they're even allowed to touch each other now.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:36 pm

Idiotic, plain and simple. If you want kids not to get hurt, teach them to be careful, don't ban funny games.

And I agree with Fionn: fancy adults outlawing games that involve physical activity, and then complaining about children not getting enough exercise. What should they be doing to exercise, then? Aerobics?
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Lady_Simpson
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lady_Simpson » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:04 pm

Yeahhh that's pretty sad.
Everyone's really scared of everything these days.

Yeah it's bad enough that, like everyone else suggested, kids are really going to get fatter and fatter.

I think way too many people focus on safety today.  Which would be good, but really, it decreases our enjoyment of life.

Who actually died from these 'childhood games' anyway?
Homer: Marge? Since I'm not talking to Lisa, would you please ask her to pass me the syrup?
Marge: Dear, please pass your father the syrup, Lisa.
Lisa: Bart, tell Dad I will only pass the syrup if it won't be used on any meat product.
Bart: You dunkin' your sausages in that syrup homeboy?
Homer: Marge, tell Bart I just want to drink a nice glass of syrup like I do every morning.
Marge: Tell him yourself, you're ignoring Lisa, not Bart.
Homer: Bart, thank your mother for pointing that out.
Marge: Homer, you're not not-talking to me and secondly I heard what you said.
Homer: Lisa, tell your mother to get off my case.
Bart: Uhhh, dad, Lisa's the one you're not talking to.
Homer: Bart, go to your room.
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:10 pm

It probably will be dangerous in a few years. Physical excercise will cause heart attacks in young people...
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Dear World:  Please Get A Life.  Or at least let your kids have one...

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:58 pm

heh you cant go outside today to even skate without these problems. kids are now always going out with a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and shin guards. the lawer is chasing him down the street, "Dont fall, Dont fall." Hell i remeber my parents straping on those 40 lb. steel roller skates and throwing me out the door into traffic in a lightning storm. Their motto was, "Oh, he'll get hit by lightning once and then he'll learn." Those good old days will be missed.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
djwhitaker2004

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:18 pm

Man, what is that school thinking? ???
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.