Oscars '07

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Oscars '07

Post by missy_misery » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm rooting for Little Miss Sunshine, since things that approximate a comedy nearly never get any nominations.

The nods for Best Animated Feature went to Cars, Happy Feet and Monster House.  Of the three, Moster House was a great acchievement, perhaps the best of the crop script-wise, but Happy Feet had great visuals.  I'm surprised we only have three nominees this year (between Shrek The Third and The Simpsons Movie, we should have quite a crop for '08).
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Re: Oscars '07

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:00 pm

I haven't seen/am not familiar with the majority of the nominations this year.  Whoo, I'm behind!

I'm surprised 'One Man Band' didn't get nominated for Best Animated Short.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:07 pm

Out of all of the best picture nominees, I reccomend Little Miss Sunshine (though I admit I haven't seen Babble yet) and The Queen most highly. 

Also, PAN'S LABRYINTH IS AWESOME!  I cannot use big enough caps to emphasise this.  It's dark, but it's an incredible movie (everything that Bridge to Terrabithia SHOULD be, but I fear won't).

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:55 pm

The only Best Picture nominated movie I see is the Departed, but I hopeing Happy Feet will win best animated, that was a good will movie. :)
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: I hope my movie makes more cents than Endgame

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 pm

... I haven't seen any of the films on this list. To be honest, I haven't seen many good films in 2006.

I've heard very good things about "Pan's Labyrinth" from my fellow Classicists at uni, though. Dunno if it even ran anywhere close to where I live.
Hey, this isn't a Muse at all, it's just my id in a Greek dress and a laurel crown!
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:58 am

PL is AMAZING I can't reccomend it highly enough.  It might be playing a small, art-house type theatre nearby you, Chris.

Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:04 am

I need to see PL.  Looks like one of the few films on the list I might enjoy (*winces* well, aside from the Queen, which I'd have to watch with my English grandmother one way or another). 

As for acting, I think Will Smith did a very good job in "Pursuit of Happyness", possibly some of the best acting in his career.
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:32 pm

The Queen's actually pretty good as well - I'm predicting Helen Mirren finally taking one home this year in the BA catagory.

Will Smith and Mark Wahlburgh have both grown into their own as actors, but for people of my generation there's a small laugh to be gotten out of the fact that Marky Mark and The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire have gotten nods for the top award Americans can offer their actors.