The Fan/fiction Rec Thread

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

The Fan/fiction Rec Thread

Post by gkscotty » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:31 am

I've been itching to start one of these for a while, mainly thanks to GAFF's antidotes forum coming back. This is intended for non-OFF/Futurama works, since it's in offtopic, but no reason not to put Groening stuff in here if it's not yours...

First up, a Sailor Moon-inspired story which completely blew me away. Sailor Nothing. Don't worry, you don't need to know anything about SM to understand this, though a little familiarity with the magical girl genre would help. Warning, 18+ content.
My school is Wazurau High School in a prefecture at the outskirts of Tokyo. My class is 2F, and I sit near the lockers in the back where the heat exchange vent is, since I get cold very easily. I do pretty well in school, especially in literature. My teacher tells me I'm reading and writing two grade levels above where I should be, so I try not to let it show a lot; no need to flaunt that or make anybody feel bad. Sometimes it's really hard to concentrate, which takes care of this for me... I get very tired, because I'm up very late. See, there are shows I can't see during the day because I'm usually very busy, so I can only see them at night... plus I have other things I have to do at night. From time to time.

I guess I should explain why I'm tired, now that I think about it.

My show is almost done, but I won't be able to go to bed soon. That's because I'm a perfectly ordinary girl and I have an ordinary life... but I've also got another life. And I hate it. I hate every minute of it.
Sailor Nothing is the story of a girl whose life is ruined by her role in fighting the forces of evil. Unable to maintain the graceful facade her role requires, emotionally abused by her Kamen and prone to fits of wild rage, she is unceremoniously removed from her position, but finds it impossible to leave the only life that has any meaning for her - the life that increases her chance of finding peace in death.

It's got great characters, (my favorite would be Shin, the maverick student journalist) great villians, (Cobalt, the demon born from an architect) and the presentation is excellent, but saying anything there would spoil some nice surprises. Chapters 5, 7 and 8 had particularly memorable presentation for me.

As I read, it felt like I was reading a mahou-shoujo "Lisa Fitzgerald" both in tone and quality. This story gets a A+.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: The Fan/fiction Rec Thread

Post by archonix » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:10 am

Just fyi, there's a simpsons/futurama rif rec thread here.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:01 am

Excellent choice for a thread. I've been meaning to start a non-Groening fic recommendation thread to parallel Missy's one myself, but real life got in the way. I'll definitely have to check out "Sailor Nothing", it sounds very worthwhile.

You might want to sticky this thread, seeing how The Club has most traffic of the boards here.

Some Tolkien-related goodfics (yes, they do exist):

By author known as Philosopher at Large/Bellatrys. She has written many fics, these are the ones I've read and can testify to the goodness of.

Terrible Gifts

"Silmarillion" darkfic. A nameless Elf in the company of King Finrod and Beren, all captured when attempting to go undercover into the land of the enemy, withstands torture in the dungeons of Morgoth. When his tormentor offers him a way out, what can prevent him from taking it? Not even close to the self-indulgent gore-fests that usually define the genre: in this dark world, the most important suffering and relief are mental. The author's essay about what went into writing this fic are here, also providing some background for us whose "Silmarillion" memories are hazy.

And some shorter mood pieces:

Exultation of Gold

Very short fic about the dragon Glaurung, the Golden.

Wise, Fearless and Fair

Galadriel's thoughts when Frodo offered her the One Ring.

Lord of Carrion

The Witch-King of Angmar confronts Éowyn on the battlefield.

Well, after this somewhat dark bunch, time for something lighter:

By various Tolkien fans:

The e-text

Some of you have seen this already. Finally, "Lord of the Rings" is available to read online! Well, not really. There are some changes from the source material. But if you want to read about Sam's attempts to start a communist revolution in the Shire, about the One Ring of Seduction, about Arwen the Warrior Babe, and about the many deaths of Boromir (tm), then look no further. Watch out for the chapter where Maglor son of Fëanor appears and sings a condensed version of the plot of "The Silmarillion" to the tune of Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer".

Original fiction:

Some online short stories by Adam Cadre, whom I know mainly as the creator of such excellent text adventure games as "Photopia" and "Varicella". These two are about characters in his novel "Ready, OK" (which I have not yet been ready to find), the idiosyncratic Young family.

December

September Young tells the story about his odd little sister, December.

A Winner Is You

Julie Young deals with adolescent life and has a run-in with a very ambitious boy.

I'll post more stuff here, I'm sure...

EDIT: Edited to explain that the LotR e-text is not the creation of bellatrys, and thanks Graham!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:08 pm

A Spy in Mancunia wrote:
Wise, Fearless and Fair

Galadriel's thoughts when Frodo offered her the One Ring.

Lord of Carrion

The Witch-King of Angmar confronts Éowyn on the battlefield.
Because these were short pieces, I took a peek.  They deal with two of my favorite (female) literary chatacers ever, which was an extra incentive. :D
Chris, these are great.  I am very pleased, Tolkein would have loved this.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:34 pm

I fix!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Archonix wrote: Just fyi, there's a simpsons/futurama rif rec thread here.
Thanks, Graham!

My rec isn't a story, it's an author.  Warning: all the stories are 18+ themewise, and this is a FF.net link!:

Yorick Jones writes "realisim"; he transposes fictional canon and characters and puts them into very real, very dark situations.  Of particular note is his "Practically Perfect," which is a Mary Poppins futurefic, and "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" which posits a real-world life for the characters of Scooby Doo. 

I guarantee you'll be touched by most of these.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Something I've been meaning to show Chris...

Dead Man's Logic

Kefka, on his way to the underworld, manages to crash the Phantom Train and winds up haunting the living world, getting caught up in an unusual bet.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and give you some advice. If ever you find yourself sitting on the Phantom Train, riding to the "other side," and you're possessed by some extraordinarily puerile desire to sneak into the engine room and start pulling the levers out of the wall and tearing the wiring apart just to see it all spark... make sure you know who's riding with you, first. If I'd bothered asking around a bit, I might have known Wrexsoul was on the same train as me, and then I'd have known he'd escape when that damned train derailed, and then perhaps I would have thought about that while I was standing in the Phantom Train's engine room with tangled, broken wire clenched in my pale fists.

I still would have torn it up.
Author manages to perfectly capture Kefka's warped personality and put him in a situation he'd rather not be in. Grade A

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:51 pm

missy_misery wrote: My rec isn't a story, it's an author.  Warning: all the stories are 18+ themewise, and this is a FF.net link!:
Yorick Jones writes "realisim"; he transposes fictional canon and characters and puts them into very real, very dark situations.  Of particular note is his "Practically Perfect," which is a Mary Poppins futurefic, and "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" which posits a real-world life for the characters of Scooby Doo. 
I guarantee you'll be touched by most of these.
Missy, I owe you some hardcore fanfic reading. I still need to read the rest of the Venture Brothers story, so please forgive the delays.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:26 am

@Aiofe: It's quite all right - looking forward to your comments.

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Lovely horror story: Second by Second, We Get Closer by Ian Sherred.

Also, this topic really should be a sticky thread.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed May 14, 2008 10:27 am

I found the lovliest American Dad fic (yes, American Dad fic + lovely is not an oxymoron):

Straying From the Flock by Brad Rousse.  Touching but set well within the mein of the show, and does a lot of untangling of the Stan/Hayley dynamic.

Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 pm

I've really fond of the Genma's Daughter series, which you can find here.

Some people have complained that these stories aren't really Ranma, but that's the whole point of them.  If you don't like A Different View, then chances are high that you will not like these stories either (even though they are much different than Archonix's).  The last story is currently in author limbo though, with only one update a year on average. :doh:
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?
daryy
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by daryy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:45 am

;DSome people have complained that these stories aren't really Ranma, but that's the whole point of them.
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 pm

What I meant is that it's a rare example of a well-done AU.  Don't expect the same craziness though, Ranko's life is much different than Ranma's.

If you want something good that could very well take place after the end of the Ranma canon, read Fighting Chance.  There's no more playing around, and a final showdown between Shampoo and Akane decides once and for all the claim on who has the right to Ranma.

Also, I like Handed on a Silver Platter.  Probably the best written Ranma and Nabiki fic, it also has the distinction of not turning Akane into a complete psycho just to get her out of the way to make the new pairing possible. ;D
CROWD: What do you want?
CROWD: When do you want it?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:14 pm

A fanfic... by Neil Gaiman... It's basically a Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu Mythos crossover, and a darn good one at that. Can be read online.

A Study in Emerald

A great detective and his war veteran sidekick investigate the murder of a visiting member of foreign royalty, but there's a lot more going on in London at the time.

You'll probably enjoy this most if you're a Sherlock Holmes aficionado (I'm not, and missed a lot of hints. You don't need the same amount of knowledge about the Cthulhu mythos, though it's no harm either.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon