Good webcomics

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Good webcomics

Post by D.B. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:17 pm

We don't seem to have a thread specifically for this yet, and it's a worthwhile topic. Doubly as as I seem to be the last person to hear about them. Anyway I'll kick off with one that was recommended to me by another student today, for obvious reasons, but is surprisingly funny too.

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

Add more good links!
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Good webcomics

Post by Archonix » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Dresden Kodak: the mother of all intellectual comics.
http://dresdencodak.com/index.html

THis one I have no idea why I read, but I keep going back. It's strangely nihilistic...
http://questionablecontent.net//index.php
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Sure will! Well, I think I've mentioned it a dozen times already, but let's make it official, then: xkcd. This is, so far, the only webcomic that I make sure to check out as soon as I can, whenever it is updated (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). Somehow, it makes a nerdy-yet-not-arrogant kind of humour that mixes the clever and introspective with the downright gross with perfection, without that kind of smart-arsery that puts me off so much. Some of the comics are exceptional, in that they resonate with those seemingly insignificant thoughts that I thought nobody else had; one strip that illustrates my point is Escalator. They are generally short, quick gags, but that will leave me laughing for some good minutes. Oh, yes, and almost all is done with stick figures. Some of my very favourites here:

Exploits of a Mom (this is particularly exceptional for me because I work with that kind of thing)
Schrödinger
Regular Expressions
Donald Knuth
Open Source
And, of course, Wikipedian Protester
"This is the scientifical truth, which is much better. You shouldn't let poets lie to you."
-- Björk
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Lemme see here...

Captain SNES: A sprite-comic follow-up to the early-90s cartoon Captain N. Updates tend to be sporadic, but the writing is frickin' brilliant.

8-bit Theater: A spoof of the original Final Fantasy. Also one of THE most popular webcomics out there. And it be hilarious.

Order of the Stick: A D&D spoof with stick figures and awesome writing.

Starslip Crisis: The tales of an art museum that's also a spaceship.

Schlock Mercenary: Sci-fi soap opera about a team of intergalactic mercenaries.

Wapsi Square: Difficult to describe, because it's so darn good.

Shortpacked!: Let's face it, you probably read it already.

Count Your Sheep: If you don't like this comic, you have no soul.

Girl Genius: "Excellent" does not begin to describe.

Dominic Deegan: Oracle For Hire: Likewise.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:46 pm

My two personal favorites are Starslip Crisis and Scary Go Round.

I also enjoy the horribleness of Wondermark and Nobody Scores!.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:28 am

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, however there's still The Book of Biff.

All of the strips are one panel drawings of Biff (who has freakishly large eyebrows *cue growing like a weed joke*) in some sort of situation, usually far-fetched.  None of these follow one from each other, so they can be totally enjoyed by themselves.

Biff is often a bit slow on the uptake, realising things far after it's too late.  However, he does come up with some very unique ideas.

I usually find Biff to definitely be worth a chuckle, and definitely challenges the way you look at life sometimes.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:19 am

And, of course, you got your Dr. McNinja.

It has ninjas. One of which is a doctor. With a pet raptor and a gorilla secretary and a 12-year-old sidekick with a full-grown mustache.

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Content Superspreader

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:13 am

Looking For Group, of course! It's got violence and "World of Warcraft" parodies, and what more does any work of fiction need?

EDIT: And Irrational Fears, hard to do justice for in a sentence, but it's a hilarious and sometimes poignant story of facing your childhood fears. With a chupacabra as the hero.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said: Hey, you! Feed the machine!
Bring them all back down to their knees!
There's no time to waste, remind the slaves
They ain't gonna make it out alive today.
I said: Hey, you! Poison the well!
Watch it all burn, take them straight to hell!
He's got the whole world in his hands
It was nice to know ya
We've all been damned!
C'mon!

-- Poor Man's Poison, "Feed the Machine"
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:37 pm

And El Goonish Shive! Never has a transformation fetish yielded such incredible results.

I draw too, dammit!
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 am

A particularly cute, particularly retro little gem a I found. 

www.mimisgrotto.com/thorn
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:04 pm

Melonpool, a rather long-running but enjoyable comic about aliens (with copious amounts of headache-inducing time travel), has recently resumed updating.

I draw too, dammit!
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 pm

How has no one mentioned xkcd.com yet? It's brilliant.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:39 pm

The Cannon Fodder wrote: How has no one mentioned xkcd.com yet? It's brilliant.
Don Cobra wrote: Sure will! Well, I think I've mentioned it a dozen times already, but let's make it official, then: xkcd. This is, so far, the only webcomic that I make sure to check out as soon as I can, whenever it is updated (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). Somehow, it makes a nerdy-yet-not-arrogant kind of humour that mixes the clever and introspective with the downright gross with perfection, without that kind of smart-arsery that puts me off so much. Some of the comics are exceptional, in that they resonate with those seemingly insignificant thoughts that I thought nobody else had; one strip that illustrates my point is Escalator. They are generally short, quick gags, but that will leave me laughing for some good minutes. Oh, yes, and almost all is done with stick figures. Some of my very favourites here:

Exploits of a Mom (this is particularly exceptional for me because I work with that kind of thing)
Schrödinger
Regular Expressions
Donald Knuth
Open Source
And, of course, Wikipedian Protester

I draw too, dammit!
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:58 pm

Terry put me on to Liō a while ago. I like it this much.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:25 am

I can't recommend Lackadaisy Cats enough.  The updates are sporadic, sometimes being a month or more inbetween, but the art is incredible and the writing is damned good so it's worth keeping an eye on.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.