Ackpth! and other onomatopoeias

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Ackpth! and other onomatopoeias

Post by Andreas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Ahh, nice. How big was it after all? One of those icky house spiders? I had one of these in my kitchen sink a few months ago, and boy, was I scared when the sink suddenly "came alive" while I was preparing my lunch. I have no idea how it managed to get into the kitchen, though, since I have fly screens at pretty much all windows. The bugger must have slipped under the door or something like that while I wasn't looking.
Andreas

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

So this morning I caught the cat licking the residue from around the edge of a glass of gin I had last night. He was sniffing at the full drink as well, if I remember right. I think my cat might be an alkie...

More to the point, now I'm wondering how many times I've drunk from a glass with cat spit around the edge. Yeuch!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Easy on the liquor, Treacle, or you'll soon be asking if you can haz kebab.

Cats and alcohol... what a strange, yet awesome, combination.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Andreas wrote: Ahh, nice. How big was it after all?
Had to be careful getting the glass over it, so measuring that, it looks like the leg span was 3.5-4 inches.

Tried to find a suitable picture on google, but couldn't get anything which looked right. Long thin legs, small round body, brown, scuttled pretty fast.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Sounds like a common house spider to me.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Yeah, it'll be a house spider, you know it's a big 'un when you have to ask it to tuck its legs into a pint glass...
So this morning I caught the cat licking the residue from around the edge of a glass of gin I had last night. He was sniffing at the full drink as well, if I remember right. I think my cat might be an alkie...
I don't know, cats today...if they're not wrecked on leftover gin, they're stoned on catnip...
(and I wish I had the ability to do a Lackadaisy style version of Gin Lane...)
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm

This probably counts as 'weird crap' more than 'amusingly random': I have a Hotmail account, which means that after using it I'm redirected to MSN's news page. Among such groundbreaking articles as 'Kylie's sheets baffle boyfriend' and 'ten reasons you're still fat', I noticed this.
Named: the UK's deadliest biscuit

A research company has estimated that half of the country has suffered a biscuit-related accident during a tea or coffee break

The custard cream was found to be the UK's most dangerous snack, on the basis of something called the Biscuit Injury Threat Evaluation.

There are also statistics. I'm sticking to jaffa cakes from now on.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm

The biscuit... of death!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Eat...

... The Biscuit.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
fellranger

Post by fellranger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:44 pm

A rich tea is more dangerous than a ginger nut?  Nonsense!
One unlucky person ended up stuck in wet concrete after wading in to pick up a stray biscuit.
I believe that's a stupidity related injury rather than a biscuit related one.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:40 pm

So, bowling. The most beer swilling, pretzel munching of sports. A safe place to bring a group of freshers for a night out as part of the tale end of their induction. Above all, the sort of place where one should have no fashion concerns, right?

True, until on a particularly vigorous throw, one manages to split one's trousers all the way up the seat.  :homer:
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Whoa!

I hope everyone else took it with the good humour it deserves, and that there was a spare jacket around.

(I've had similar, if less flamboyant, things happen to my pants... scratching one moment, tearing through the denim the next. Having something to tie around your waist is a *good* idea.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Wilde Gray Yonder wrote: I hope everyone else took it with the good humour it deserves, and that there was a spare jacket around.
Perhaps the winning comment was "That's a pretty nasty split."

Anyway, fortunately my underwear almost matched the colour of my trousers, so with tactical walking it wasn't too obvious.
- Sydney Brenner
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 pm

You have an officer's mind. ;D

I'll stop using that line one day, I swear.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:18 pm

You must have developed an odd bowling style if you can split your pants with it. I'm trying to work out how, but all I can come up with is an image of you doing the splits.

Unrelated edit:

Last edited by archonix on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Piet Hein - Grooks