Ackpth! and other onomatopoeias

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Ackpth! and other onomatopoeias

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 am

Spirit of the age=time ghost? I like that.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:43 pm

This'll make you laugh at me. When I first heard the term "Zeitgeist," I thought of a story I'd heard once of a tourist in the 1970's that claimed he saw the spirit of a girl in a house dressed in a Victorian outfit. Not only a ghost, but a ghost from another time period. My brain chewed on that like a chew-toy for days...maybe the word has been around in certain circles for a long time, but I don't recall ever hearing about it before this year. I'll have to do a cartoon on that at some point. You've just got to understand that my brain doesn't work like most people's brains do... ;D
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 am

Beb wrote:For the blissfully ignorant: Fifty Shades of Grey is a Twilight fanfic with changed names and spanking, for the wilfully ignorant. It is currently making a lot of money.

Fortunately, there's a way to learn all about the book without having to read everything yourself. Spiffingly-named author Jennifer Armintrout has spent a long, painful time recapping each chapter. I just spent a long, painful time copypasting the links because the recapping is very good. It covers a) everything wrong with the book and b) everything wrong with the book's presentation.

Recaps linked here because the blog tags were dodgy:

[...]

... and watch that space. She may be recapping the sequels. (There are sequels).
And following on from that, 50 Shades as narrated by Gilbert Gottfried, aka the voice of Iago in Disney's Aladdin.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:00 pm

That is the best video I've seen all year. The reaction shots alone are priceless.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 pm

I agree with the happy fat pony!

Now to talk about ME. Haha! So I just went cold turkey on coke (no, not that one, the brown fizzy liquid) and it's making me very, very irritable. I've been off it for about 4 days and the cravings are insane... fizzy water helps.
* Archonix listens to that audio book again to calm his nerves
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:15 am

You can get hooked on coke? I'm glad I don't tend to drink it that much...
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:18 am

It's more of a dependency than an addiction. My body is used to having caffeine and sugar at certain times of the day and when it doesn't get them, it complains. Loudly.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:44 pm

I've been curious for a long time about the fact that, even though I drink coffee regularly, I don't feel any of its supposed effects -- either positive or negative. It doesn't take away my drowsiness (I've tried that!), and I can spend an entire day without coffee and not feel bad or tired. I usually drink a cup of coffee and milk on the morning, but if I switch that for something else, it doesn't make much difference. I'm really thankful for that: I like coffee only for the taste, and I'd like to stay that way. :)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Jennifer Armintrout will now be recapping the two sequels to Fifty Shades of Grey. Stay tuned.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello painful shoulder, you are trapping my nerve! Stop that, it hurts!
— Piet Hein - Grooks
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Here are the links, in order, to Jennifer Armintrout's Fifty Shades Darker recaps. I'll put them all in this post as they arrive. The first book is ritually slaughtered here.

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Chapapter Three

Chapter Four

A brief interlude to introduce 51 TInts of Granite. Get a copy of each and play Poe's Law with your friends!

Chapter Five

Chapter Six

Chapter Seven
Last edited by AssistantCrone on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:05 pm

In the last few months, a series of videos has taken Brazil by storm: Marcelinho, a hand puppet, reads crappily written "erotic" tales and makes fun of them all the way through. Incidentally, 50 Shades of Grey was recently published in Brazil, inheriting the status of "best seller in the States" and surfing the waves of mediocrity of our shitty publishing industry. Therefore, the inevitable happened: Marcelinho was hired to read a snippet of 50 Shades of Grey as a marketing ploy.

The result: Marcelinho rightfully destroyed the book, showing clearly its complete lack of eroticism and talent, and most people who watched the video agreed that the reading was much, much better than the actual writing. Therefore, 50 Shades of Grey was relegated to the status of "shitty erotic tale which is too boring to be funny due to the lack of grammar mistakes" by a hand puppet.

I have a new hero.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm covered from hand to elbow - both elbows - in a rash due to being out in the sun for only four hours, and mid calf to the top of my foot on each leg is the same.

Ow.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 am

Ouch. Make sure you take it easy. At least it should go away fairly quickly, I'm sure.

@Fernie: that's genius.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Vacuum clear just broke again and this time I can't repair it. Hooray...
— Piet Hein - Grooks