The Simpworks Choose Your Own Adventure thread!

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

The Simpworks Choose Your Own Adventure thread!

Post by gkscotty » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 pm

A strange idea we had in chat...

This thread is the GFWC Choose Your Own Adventure Round Robin!

(don't know what a CYOA is? This may provide an adequate introduction)

The robin is very simple. A person writes a piece of text, and at the end proposes at least two options for what should happen next. Readers vote on what option should be taken, and the next person writes that. And so on.

However, if you don't know what to do, this being a CYOA, you can always kill off the character in an entertaining way.

RULES FOR WRITERS
1) No crossovers please
2) Site's normal content rules apply. Don't go turning this into a lemon, please.
3) You can write what you want, so long as you fulfill the option that was voted on as it was written. This includes changing to a different scene with different people, changing or killing the protagonist, or anything that doesn't conflict with 1) or 2). Any length is fine, though 1-3 paragraphs is probably best.
4) At the end of your post you must provide at least two options for people to vote on.
5) Please write in third person, past tense prose.

ENDING THE STORY
If you read the link above, you'll no doubt see that ending the story in as nonsensical and anti-climactic a fashion as possible is vital to the enjoyment of a CYOA. You always have the option of ending the story - whether it be by death, mutation, sudden aging to 110 years old, travelling to a realm of endless pleasure, imprisonment, brainwashing, giving up or even victory.
You don't need to ask anyone's permission to end the story. You can end the story however you like.
Once the story ends, we will go back to the previous post and continue down a different branch. The person who ended the story must supply at least two new options for people to vote on for that previous post - the previous options are no longer valid.
If a story ends on a complete and happy ending, we may choose to go back to the first post with new options, or start a new story.
Have fun ending the story in interesting ways!

VOTING
Your vote counts! Post by posting in this thread. (you can also chat here too)
After a section is posted, you have 24 hours to vote, after which the next writer can write and post their section.
Ties shall be broken by me flipping a coin, or in the case of three or more way ties, rolling a dice. In the event of seven or more way ties, the chicken giblits will show us the way.

If you wish to write the next section, say so when you vote. The first person who does so will get to write it. But try not to hog the spotlight - after you post a section, let another two people have a go before volunteering again.
The mods reserve the right to ignore or revise this rule (and any others) if some people want to write but aren't getting a chance.

Assistant Crone has graciously been press ganged volunteered to write the opening post. Wish her luck!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: The Simpworks Choose Your Own Adventure thread!

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

[OOC: Here goes...]

--

Someone had thrown out an entire shoe!

It was a natural shoe, made from the skin of a chewy brown animal. Zoidberg found the other kind very difficult to digest, although he'd give it a try on a bad day. This, though, this was a good day. For a start, shoe. Then there was the nice balmy weather and the fact that it was the weekend and people were bound to be out in the park with their many picnics. They tended to give you strange looks if you wandered around munching a shoe, but their larvae might throw you a pity sandwich – which, after all, was just as tasty as any other sandwich.

Zoidberg decided to take the route through the back alley where there were so many dumpsters, useful not just for food but for shiny trinkets that might be valuable, like the twirly whatsit or the small round thing that kept beeping faster. As he crossed the road, he heard an odd sound coming from the Planet Express building. Plink-whang, it went, as if somebody was playing a giant game of tiddlywinks. There was a strong chemical smell – well, stronger than usual. Zoidberg stood on the corner, listening and nibbling the remains of the heel.

Option 1: Go and investigate the plink-whang noise. Perhaps you can be useful!

Option 2: Continue through the alley to the park. It's nearly lunchtime.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 pm

1!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:00 pm

1, totally. Interesting sounds are interesting.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Definitely 1 (and *lol* at larvae  ;D )
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm

1!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Of course 1. :E
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 pm

2! I mean, 1!
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Looks like a clean sweep!

Since nobody volunteered to write the next section, I'll do it soon.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Zoidberg walked back toward Planet Express, lazily snacking on the treat he'd found as he did so. To his delight he found someone had left one of those gel insoles in it, a delicious surprise.

As he turned the corner, he looked up at the Planet Express building just in time to see the windows of the lab break, and a stream of dark purple goop shoot out into the street. Seconds later a few of the other windows broke and the same dark gloop spewed out of them. Filling the street, it started to flow towards him.

1) This sludge should be avoided, yes! He climbs up onto a nearby fire escape and takes to a roof for a better view.
2) He runs down the street away from the muck, whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhooping as he goes.
3) His friends need him! He runs forward toward Planet Express, allowing the goop to wash over him.
Last edited by gkscotty on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm going with 3. Mystery goop + Zoidberg = greater potential for future chaos.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:44 pm

1, and LOL @ delicious gel.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:17 pm

#1.
CROWD: What do you want?
CROWD: When do you want it?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:47 pm

1. And I, too, would like to LOL at the gel soles.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child