Wacom tablets

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
Binky

Wacom tablets

Post by Binky » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:16 am

Has anyone here ever used a Wacom tablet? I don't know why, but I find it impossible to draw with. Here's an example. Something I drew in a couple of minutes on paper, vs. something that took the same amount of time on a Wacom.

Now this drawing is obviously better (although still pretty bad) than the one below.

I drew this in Flash, using a lot of Undo's, and it still looks like crap.

Now maybe it's just me, and that I don't know how to use a Wacom or something, but I really can't draw any better than this on one. On the other hand, on paper, I consider myself to be halfway decent and I'm always improving. (You can see various sketches I've uploaded in the past here; some good, some bad)
Marco

Re:Wacom tablets

Post by Marco » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:00 am

I use the wacom just for coloring really. The little size of it and the fact that the pencil doesn't have a "grip" with the surface makes it a very difficult handling, especially for particulars and lines. Unless you are already a very experienced artist or have a great steady hand, i'd avoid it.
The only pics i've been able to draw directly with the wacom were because i used a brush with very low opacity and i just kept getting over and over the lines many times, thus making a definitive one. But it's almost the same method that i use on paper, and on paper it comes a lot faster, so...

But when it comes to Coloring and filling in little details, the tablet is great. If only because you can zoom in as you want and work on the sensitivity, or because the strokes of color come much more natural than with a mouse.

I see from your sketches you're already very skilled, some have quite a professional look to them... so maybe with a little of practice you could draw on wacom without much hassle. Maybe this time, the fact that you didn't use construction lines (or did you delete them)? was the problem. I'd say give it a second try :)

Again congrats, your sketches are very very good!
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:48 am

Maybe you have to talk with Omar. He uses Wacom to draw, and I must say he manages to do it nicely.
And yay to the building method! I'm only started to learn how to use it, but I believe in it already. ;)

P.S. Thanks for sharing your pics with us. They are rather good, I must say!
Last edited by Dagdamor on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:08 pm

Drawing with a wacom simply requires practice to get used to the new feel of it. The biggest problem is breaking the link betwen watching your drawing hand as you draw, and instead drawing "out of sight" as it were. Once you get over that it's just a cse of practising until you're used to it. TOok me about a month to get used to drawing with it. There are times when I return to paper - you can't beat the tactile sensations of a physical drawing - but for most of the art I do I use my wacom.

Perhaps I should post something again...

Anyway, it helps to have a powerful computer when working with graphics. Lots of memory and a fast procesor. And make sure that you have nothing unnecessary running in the background, such as spyware or programs to calculate Pi^n. It might even mean turning off any music playing on your computer. I also wouldn't recommend it for a program like flash. You'd be better off drawing in paintshop pro or photoshop. Forget the undo function too. Use the eraser functions and treat it like a real piece of paper.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Binky

Post by Binky » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:50 am

Thanks for all the nice compliments! I have to say though, I don't think most of my drawings are all that good. I think my biggest problem is not being able to draw circles very well. That's what really discourages me from drawing; if I start something and my circles turn out to be warped, I'll usually not want to continue. It really sucks :(

Anyway, as for the Wacom tablet, I don't think I really want to get all that used to it. I'll have to learn a whole new way to draw, when I can be using the same time to work on my paper drawing skills. Plus, I fear if I get too used to the tablet, I might lose the ability to draw on paper.
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Wacom tablets

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Thu May 26, 2005 5:06 am

You won´t. Trust me.
Last edited by OARRIAGA2001 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Iron Girl
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Iron Girl » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:37 pm

My mum says that she will get me a wacom tablet for my birthday but I can not want it because I am a buddhist, I have to think about others and what they can't have.
Take me to the Hotel. My hands are on a guys ass
SpringfieldHorror
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by SpringfieldHorror » Mon May 01, 2006 7:58 pm

I've recently received a Wacom Tablet for Christmas. It seems hard at first because it's either too small or too tiny. But I have a 4x8" steel blue. I sketch with it alot. Try holding it a different way than a regular pen/pencil/brush etc.
I've learned to love it. And you'll get used to it, it just may take a while. ;)
Marge: TERRACE! Evergren Terrace, the street that smells like pee.
Binky

Post by Binky » Mon May 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Hmm, well I still haven't "gotten used to it" and I've had my Wacom tablet for almost 2 years now. I'm still finding it's much easier and better to draw on paper, so this Wacom is really just a "toy" for me.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue May 02, 2006 12:26 am

I guess I'm just unusual, then. I took to my first wacom like a duck to water and I haven't looked back.

I'll have to get back in to paper drawing again some day... it'd help if I had a scanner. ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SpringfieldHorror
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by SpringfieldHorror » Tue May 02, 2006 5:15 pm

Hmm, well I still haven't "gotten used to it" and I've had my Wacom tablet for almost 2 years now. I'm still finding it's much easier and better to draw on paper, so this Wacom is really just a "toy" for me.
Well, some people just aren't ready for the Digital drawing. I never thought I was.. so, I rarely used it. I use it now for drawing wallpapers and sketching. Wallpapers to put where nobody can laugh. I don't use it much now but I think I'll just use it for sketching. :D
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Tue May 02, 2006 5:25 pm

It'd be nice if you post some of those sketches here, SprinfieldHorror.  Based on your name I have a certain hunch that you love Treehouse of horror episodes.  I bet you have some Itchy and scrachy under your sleeve, too.  :)  So.......
Never judge a book by its cover.....
SpringfieldHorror
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by SpringfieldHorror » Tue May 02, 2006 5:29 pm

It'd be nice if you post some of those sketches here, SprinfieldHorror.  Based on your name I have a certain hunch that you love Treehouse of horror episodes.  I bet you have some Itchy and scrachy under your sleeve, too.
I have one right now. It's on my DA. If you'd like to visit. Avery1623.deviantart.com.
I'm actually working on an Itchy and Scratchy picture. Just need an idea of what to do. :)
SpringfieldHorror
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by SpringfieldHorror » Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 pm

...But all of my sketches are somewhere around my computer. =o