Scribbled Tutorial #1

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Scribbled Tutorial #1

Post by archonix » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:50 pm

I drew up this almost-tutorial In response to the user named "Poll", who wanted to know about how to draw women.

It's fairly simple really. The secret is in the circles. Simpsons women are generally made up from two circles - one for the hips and one for the chest, with a couple of curved lines in between for the abdomen. Once you have those circles you can start experimenting with the shape and other techniques, but this is a good start.

Forgive the crudeness of the image. I only did it in a few minutes. :) It's not a tutorial as such, more of a quick and dirty guide for the basics. For more in depth tutorials on drawing people I recommend polykarbon.com, which has a good range of tutorials. They're aimed more toward animé/manga style art, but they cover the basics well enough.

For more in deoth knowledge of the human form I recommend attending some life-drawing classes. Nothing beats the actual thing when learning to draw people.

Click for a larger version:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 04, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re: Scribbled Tutorial #1

Post by Meteorite » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:10 pm

I just have one question.

If you can do this in only a few minutes, why aren't you drawing more pictures? :)

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:15 pm

I wish I could answer that.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Poll
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Poll » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:39 am

Thanks!! ;D It really helps when I look and study the circles. Especially in every angle.