Warm hands?

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
Marco

Warm hands?

Post by Marco » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Alright, so i got this fine sketchbook. And the paper is pretty heavy so it allows me more erasing and scribbling than usual. So i'm tring to get back into pencil work...

But it seems like the heat of my hand makes the paper wrinkle and "ondulate" where it touches the sheet, and it is very very annoying. Any artist can help me here? Someone ever had this problem?
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re: Warm hands?

Post by D.B. » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:24 am

I know what you mean (it's happened to me in the past) but I've never gone to the effort of figuring out how to fix it. Perhaps if you put a tissue or teatowel under the aprt of your hand which rests on the paper it might prevent it (as well as helping stop smudges)?
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:22 pm

i tried using another sheet, but that smears the pencil too, besides i tend to "slide" more.

I've read around that the correct posture for drawing requires you to NOT touch the paper with the hand at all... but that's very hard :D
Tigersrock144
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by Tigersrock144 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:19 pm

well I've never had the paper going wrinkly before but I tend to touch the paper with my hand as I draw, ALOT and I tend to end up smudging my drawings  :-[ so yah it's hard not to let your hand touch the paper :-\
If you wish to add me on your msn contact list, Please notify me first by sending me a note or something
Thank you
Binky

Post by Binky » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:51 pm

SimpReal wrote:I've read around that the correct posture for drawing requires you to NOT touch the paper with the hand at all... but that's very hard :D
Oh, that's not true. It's a good guideline to not use your wrist to draw certain things, such as straight lines and circles (and even then, you can still keep your hand on the paper and not use your wrist), but to entirely keep your hand off the paper, that would be torture, and I don't think anyone does that.
Last edited by Binky on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:43 am

Sometimes I use some cotton-gloves, try them, They may help you.  ;)
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:56 am

I've never seen it wrinkle, but smudges are common. To avoid smudges in the final version, I usually start tracing in the upper left corner, and finish in the bottom right corner of the paper - this way your wrist never touches the existing lines.

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:04 am

Sounds like that'd work. But I find it simpler just to draw and have an eraser handy when finished to remove smudges.

Ekko's Box
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
cuteswan

Post by cuteswan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:15 am

Well, I finally picked up my sketch pad and a pencil today for the first time in a long time, thanks to SimpReal and Tommy (mostly, but the overall flow of great art from others contributed as well), and a stack of yellow Post-It notes fell out of my pencil case:  from the beginning, I've used a Post-It, sticky-part-up and usually stuck to the edge of my right palm, to prevent smudges.  The clean side doesn't seem to affect the pencil much, and the sticky part sticks perfectly and prevents my hand from touching the sketch even as my hand rests on it.  Also, one yellow Post-It has lasted for at least a dozen sketches (from the comic I used to have).

As for what I'm drawing, I'll try to borrow a scanner tomorrow and put them up. :)
Last edited by cuteswan on Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:31 pm

Post-it notes? That's damn clever! I never would have thought of it... :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks