Drawing Lisa

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Drawing Lisa

Post by Lisalover1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:48 am

I've got a great Idea for a fanart involving Lisa, but I am terrible at drawing her! Do any of you have some tips? To improve my drwaing I will draw each simpsons family member at least 20 times a day.
I AM THE BLAZER! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re: Drawing Lisa

Post by Meteorite » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:57 am

There's a nice How-To picture by Morpheus here.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:24 am

And the nice tutorial by Marco, which helped me a lot, here.
Both topics are from the same section as this one; start searching things by yourself, LL. :-\
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 am

The RTFs and the drawings on that thread are sadly gone. i'll reupload them as soon as i get home.

In the meantime, you can use this SR page to see at the finished tutorial sketch.
http://realities.simpworks.com/image/155
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:17 am

So you wanna draw Lisa huh?  Like I said, she is one of the hardest characters to draw right.  But just remember to use shapes and construction.  Just a few model tips for you that I didn't include in the tutorial...
1. Her neck and shoulder/arm share the same line.  She doesn't have a 'humb' shoulder unless her expression calls for it, such as a shrug.  The same goes for Marge.
2. Her hair is divided into 3, 3, 2.  There is a way you can messure it, when you draw her head sphere and eye line, draw a cross going across the sphere and down.  You'll know you have to fit 3 spikes in the first quarter section, then three more in the next, and the last two should fall just below the eye line.  But those 2 never touch her necklace.
3. She has a small neck, just be carefull of the length.
4. remember, she's eight, so she's really tiny, I've seen a lot of art here where people have drawn her way too big. 
5. 6 pearls on her necklace
6. Everything is round, NO SHARP POINTS!! not even her hair, that's a happy medium of roundness and sharpness.  Her lip especially.
7. The middle of the ear is in the same position as the bottom o fthe nose. 
8.Use the hands tutorial I posted for reference on her hands. 

I hope that helps, good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:31 am

Thank you! that really helps a lot!
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:08 pm

Morpheus306 wrote: 6 pearls on her necklace
I thought it was five.. ???

Haven't drawn Lisa in ages, but just remember she's practically the same as Bart, with minor differences like clothing, hair, overbite, eyelashes, things like that. I feel (with the way I draw anyways) that there really is no strategy or specific way to draw a character. You don't need to dissect shapes or do unnecessary sketches. What you're doing now Lisa Lover is arguably the best way to go about things: Practice practice practice. Just keep drawing till she looks good. Although, it's best to start off with a good picture of Lisa to model off. Once you get the hang of it, proportionality will come naturally, and your eye alone can tell if she's on model or not.
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:40 pm

You know, I have NEVER  drawn a picture using light outlines of shapes! I usually have a tendancy to push down hard on the pencil. But there is really no way for me to brak that habit. I have tried before.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:08 pm

Well, I've never had to do any of that, and with all do respect, I think I turned out all right. But I'm not going to tell you what to do. Disregard everything I said if you disagree, just do what you think is best. Either way, you'll improve. (Eventually)
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:26 pm

What makes you think I disregard it? Hey! Somebody demoted me!
Last edited by Lisalover1 on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:40 am

Well, there is no person in this forum that can say that you learn to draw over-night. Its just pure, solid, constructive, pain-staking practice.

I myself hasnt used the construction line/circle/object/shape method. But from what I've seen it can greatly improve drawing consistency.

For any beginer, I recomend using that method rather than freehand.

(I sound like an oderless salesman)
Last edited by Casper on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 am

Lisalover1 wrote: You know, I have NEVER  drawn a picture using light outlines of shapes! I usually have a tendancy to push down hard on the pencil. But there is really no way for me to brak that habit. I have tried before.
That isn't true, it's just a matter of pencil mileage.  I was like that when I was younger, pressing really hard, but my pics weren't coming out right.  So I started drawing lighter and lighter, then going back with the heavy lines.  Drawing is a skill, don't be fooled by the notion that you have to be born with all the knowlage to do it.  You can't just sit at a piano and play Beetoven right?  You have to practice, and drawing is no different.  The more you do it, the better you become, and the more your eye will catch things.  I draw every day, 8 hours a day, and I'll tell you, I'm drawing 100% better than I was a year ago, heck, even a couple months ago.  You just have to keep at it.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:22 am

I know. I probably should start drawing like that, with lines. I have been practicing, too. But I still am still pretty bad.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:55 pm

Keep practicing. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:38 am

Don't worry, I will.