How can I draw myself in Simpson Style?

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
andrea_001
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

How can I draw myself in Simpson Style?

Post by andrea_001 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:09 pm

Hi everyone!

I'd like to draw myself in the Matt Groening/Simpson style, but I find it very hard, even if I noticed that with few lines is possible to create a character very similar to the model, like Mick Jagger (http://www.geocities.com/on_the_simpson ... mpsons.jpg), or James Woods (http://lavender.fortunecity.com/foxybrown/515/jw5.jpg).

Have you any tips/tricks for doing that??

Thank you!

Andrea
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Re: How can I draw myself in Simpson Style?

Post by Casper » Wed May 10, 2006 10:34 pm

Drawing is somthing that is only rewarded with practice. Unfortunatly, there's nothing I can really suggest that will help you draw yourself quicker. But if you've found a character that has similar facial features to yourself, then drawing that a few times will help get the feel for things like line curviture, dimension size etc.

Depending on how you draw (construction lines, or freehand) vaires the results. I must say that, using construction lines has more rewarding results but means lots of practice. Drawing freehand takes less time, but is more likely to end up unproportinal.
I'll try to explain my method, freehand;
When drawing a head, I draw in stages. It can be in any order, this is the way I find most effective;
Firstly the face (eyes, nose, mouth lines)
Secondly hair (your unique style if nessesary, or made up)
Then the neck (ear and neck line on one side, then connecting the chin to the neck on the other side)

Anyways, there is no secret code, or stratagy for getting it right. Its pure practice.
Hope this helps :)
Good luck!
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Drawing caricatures in Simp style is difficult.  You have to approach it the same way you approach drawing any caricatures.  Find one or two key features that define what make you, you.  For me it's my nose and eye brows.  The thing about Simp style is you have to keep some of the same shapes that are used in the show such as head shapes, eyes, ears, and the simp style doesn't have a whole lot of detail.  Another thing to keep in mind is the persons(in this case you) shape of their head including the hair, or the sillohette a person's head makes.  Here is one I did of myself...notice how I kept everything plump and round, which is a simp style staple.  Also, I didn't worry about little hairs or any minute details like that.  I put three lines because other secondary characters have that style.  Same goes for the cheek, I used a common shape that's used in the extra characters, really the only thing that is 'me' are the eye brows and nose, as well as the entire head shape.  Post what you come up with and I'll be glad to help you out.
Attachments
me.jpg
Binky

Post by Binky » Thu May 11, 2006 9:11 am

Heh, cool. That looks different from your Simpsons caricature you posted at DeviantArt last year. Could that mean your own style of drawing The Simpsons is always evolving?

...or could it be that your head is just changing shape? :P
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Fri May 12, 2006 11:50 pm

well you're sorta right, I did my first pic when I first started working, so i wasn't too familiar with the style.  But doing it now I'm more comfortable with the style and I know a lot of the rules that apply to drawing the characters.  That, and my hair is really short now compared to the first pic where it was longer and I spiked it up.  So there's another lesson for all youz, always try to improve on your drawings and stay updated.