Futurama Cancelled Again

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Futurama Cancelled Again

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Futurama Cancelled Again

Post by archonix » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Welp.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Well...

This makes me sad, but on the other hand, I have to say it: I haven't cared much for the show post-cancellation. The films were mainly forgettable, and Season 6, while at its best it was certainly better than the films, at its worst it was far more offensive. The show got better after that, but it still hasn't got back to the standard of the old seasons, IMO.

When the show was cancelled, I pretty much mourned, but within hindsight I don't think much of value would have been lost if it hadn't been picked up again. The only recent episodes I would have felt sorry for losing are "Benderama" and "The Thief of Baghead", and even they weren't worthy of ranking with the best episodes of the good seasons. (All in my opinion, obviously.) Plus, we wouldn't have been exposed to Grade A bullshit like "In-a-Gadda-da-Leela" and "Attack of the Killer App".

Oh well. Either the show will die with dignity, or it will be picked up by some network that doesn't think that shouting "CREATIONISM! SAME-SEX MARRIAGE! OBAMA!" over and over counts as satire.

EDIT: And yet... and yet... do we sometimes have to hurt shows we love, just to wipe evil from existence?
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 am

I'm listening for that fat lady to start singing. Did we begin passing around cigars, drinking champagne yet? It's been a grand run.

I'm glad it came back, again, and then again. I think the best things about the movies were that they were producing something, anything. Although I did like the Fon Fon Rubic. I'll miss episodes like "All The Presidents Heads", and "Viva Mars Vegas".

But now comes the selfish question, what/who am I going to draw now? Damn...
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 am

kaspired wrote:I'm listening for that fat lady to start singing.
If you'll excuse the levity in such a serious thread, wouldn't this fandom's equivalent be "until the Robot Devil chops someone's hands off"?
I think the best things about the movies were that they were producing something, anything. Although I did like the Fon Fon Rubic.
Well said.
But now comes the selfish question, what/who am I going to draw now? Damn...
You'll keep drawing the guys you've always drawn. Fandom can never die.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Chris,thanks for mentioning "Killer Ap" - any writer worth his weight in rubber dog crap should be beaten for coming up with a gag like "Mr. Chunks." Like I've said before, this latest bunch of episodes went to some strange places for humor.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 pm

I'd sooner see Futurama end than it degrade further and further into a shell of its former self (like what has happened to The Big Bang Theory), and I agree with everything Chris said above. The show just hasn't been the same since Devil's Hands in my opinion, aside from a few really good episodes which were very nearly as good as the first run.

That said, I'm still sad. :'(
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?
FRY: Fry's dog!
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm kinda relieved. I'd rather remember it as a Firefly than a The Simpsons. Devil's Hands makes a good finale, like Who Shot Mr. Burns? made a better movie than the Simpsons Movie.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Beb wrote:I'm kinda relieved. I'd rather remember it as a Firefly than a The Simpsons. Devil's Hands makes a good finale, like Who Shot Mr. Burns? made a better movie than the Simpsons Movie.
Don't you hate it when people post just to say "I agree"? I'm doing that right now. :D

EDIT: In case it needs clarification, *I'm* posting just to say I agree with *you*, not saying that anyone else posted to do that.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 am

I'll actually step up and admit I think the revival held more classics than is being credited for here ("The Late Phillip J. Fry!" "Lethal Inspection"! "The Birds and the Benders"! "Fun on the Bun!"). There were some undeniable duds, but I had a lot of fun with the revival, and will miss the show if it doesn't get picked up.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"