REVIEW:  How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

REVIEW:  How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:30 pm

Warning:  there will be SPOILERS in this review.

Synopsis:  after getting really wasted, Marge and the kids discover that Homer is bored to tears with his life and has always nurtured a dream of being a rock star.  They then send him off to a rock 'n' roll fantasy camp run by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (along with Brian Setzer, Tom Petty, Lenny Kravitz and Elvis Costello) for the weekend.

I have to say....I was expecting a lot of bad things in this episode.  And while there were a few bad jokes and blah scenes, this was actually a pretty darn good episode.  Really my only complaint is the indignity that Skinner had to suffer at the end.

Now, I'm as averse to guest-star appearances as the next SFWCer, but the guests this time around were a lot better than usual.  They were all generally a lot of fun, and Keith Richards kept cracking me up.  The ending was actually pretty nice when Homer realized just what his family meant to him.  Also, I have to say:  the animation of Mick and Keith during the ending credits (followed by live shots of the various rockers recording their lines) was a lot of fun, too.  All in all, I really liked this episode.  Much better season opener than the last few years'.  I give it a B+. :)

SETZER:  Now, we're going to start with the fundamentals- playing a burning guitar with your teeth!

HOMER:  Mr. Seltzer?
SETZER:  Setzer.
HOMER:  No, I think it's Seltzer...

JAGGER:  [a la Mr. Wilson]  SiiiiimpSOOOOOON!

JAGGER:  Okay, strut!  Strut!  Strut!  Strut!  Strut, and spin!  And ROOSTER!  Look everyone, Homer's got it!
HOMER:  [giggly]  I'm so hot for me, I'm so hot for me!  I'm so hot for me, I'm so cooooold!

PETTY:  Lyrics are the hardest part of song-writing.  But when you come up with something meaningful and heart-felt...
HOMER:  Boooring!
PETTY:  Will you stop saying that?!
HOMER:  But rock songs are supposed to be about drinking and getting drunk and boozing it up!
APU:  And girls with legs who know how to use them!
OTTO:  And why I can't drive 55!
PETTY:  You just want mindless, generic rock?
HOMER:  Precisely!
PETTY:  Ehhhhhhhhh...

Note:  a very special song is also heard playing at one point in the episode.  See if you can catch it. :)

(Pssssst....go to annoyedgrunt.com)

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: I Believe In Arthur Fleck

Re: REVIEW:  How I Spent My Strummer Vacation

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:04 pm

Doesn't sound too bad. At least they seem to have some *real* musicians in there, not just Britney Spears.

There's a semantical error in the summary, though. It sounds like it's Marge and the kids who got wasted.  :)

Oh, and while I'm at the point, I also think rock should be all about getting drunk, and fast cars, and ruining their upholstery together with the girl/guy of your dreams. And may none of you "responsible" old people come and say that we're young and don't know anything about life! This is not just our right, it's our f***ing duty!

[Steve holds Chris's "congratulations 20 years" card in front of her face]

Wait... I aren't a wild reckless rocker kid any longer? Well, I say. Kids today eh?
Are you really gonna take it like that?
Riding on the missile with a cowboy hat?

Oh, well the world is gonna end
So dance around the fire that we once believed in
Oh, wanna tear it down again, now
'Cause there's nothing left for us to bleed
Give it up, the sons of anarchy
So come around and have another round on me!

DANCE, F***ER, DANCE, LET THE MOTHERF***ER BURN!

-- The Offspring, "Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell"
Jon
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Jon » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:49 pm

It was a good ep, and it reminded me of back in the day (anything before season 11). There were a few "meh" parts, but other than that, it was great.

A-

I've heard that guy's an idiot.
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:20 pm

It was pretty good. I liked the Disco Stu scene, and I LOVED the "Escape To The Limo" class. I just cracked up. (Incidentally, did anyone else notice He Who Shall Not Be Named in the line for the men's room?)
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:34 pm

MICK:  It's only rock 'n' roll camp.
HOMER:  ...But I like it!

Yeah, the bit with Disco Stu was unexpected and fun.  And I loved the various classes they did, especially Keith's.  Oh, and another fun thing to keep on the look out for:  see if you can find at least one scene where Richards isn't smoking. :D

Yeah, Chris, I didn't notice the error in my post till after I posted it. :)  Heh, me no english speak good.

Who's He Who Shall Not Be Named?  Voldemort? :P

Shocking info of the moment:  Mike Scully not only produced but wrote this episode.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:45 pm

Who's He Who Shall Not Be Named?  Voldemort? :P

Mike Scully, actually.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Archonix » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:55 pm

Well, Scully was a decent writer in his time, he's just been a very, very lax producer.  It's often the case that people who are good at the production end can loose perspective when they get up to the management end, and Scully is a classic example of what happens when you loose perspective.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:18 pm

Mike Scully is definitely an example of When Good People Go Stupid.

Oh, well.  [will not allow the knowledge to dampen her enjoyment of the episode]

--MST3K interview

Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ranman » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:18 am

I thought this was a pretty good episode, even with the occasional tasteless joke. The scene with all the rock stars chasing Homer around the stage in a giant fire-breathing Satan head was pretty funny. At least I think so, anyway. :D
Jeff Charles (one of our local radio DJs) gave it an A+, and his sidekicks (co-DJ John Laurenti and the Traffic Troll) each gave it an A-, but of course they'd like it. ;)
Oh, and another fun thing to keep on the look out for:  see if you can find at least one scene where Richards isn't smoking.
Good luck! He was even smoking when they showed him reading his lines during the end credits! ;D
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
-- Ian Jones-Quarty, discussing La Pucelle Tactics
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:23 am

*lol*

RICHARDS:  Now, remember-- You've got to be in top physical shape for something like this!  [takes a long drag on his cigarette]

--MST3K interview

Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:14 pm

RICHARDS:  Now, remember-- You've got to be in top physical shape for something like this!  [takes a long drag on his cigarette]
*LOL*
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.