An Actual Simpsons Question....

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
delta3030
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Re:An Actual Simpsons Question....

Post by delta3030 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:15 am

Marco wrote: Michael Jackson as Leon Kompowsky, "Stark Raving Dad" :)
was it the RL michael jackson? i thought it was John Jay Smith? ???
"Those unforgettable days, for them, I live." -Omoikane

All Praise the Emperor of Man.
LenningtonFan
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by LenningtonFan » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:40 am

Supposedly, Michael Jackson only provided the speaking voice; an impersonator provided the singing voice.
“Don’t criticize a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them you’ll have their shoes and be a mile away.”

"Congratulations son, here's 'Resort Smithers.'"
- Al Jean
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:44 am

Due to some legal issues (I think), Jackson guest starred under a false name.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
The_Anti-Ned
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by The_Anti-Ned » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:51 am

the funniest one wuz most definietly Mel Gibson. "I secound that motion, WITH A VENGENCE!"
Woe to you, O Earth and Sea, for the Devil brings th Beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short... Lat him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, Its number is Six hundred and Sixty six.

-Revelations Ch.13 v.18
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:07 am

Funny thing you should say that, because I absolutely despise Mel Gibson's guest appearance. Please hear me out here. I reckon it displayed everything that makes guest stars bad.

1) Being an actual cameo, instead of being integrated as a *comedic* character (let's face it, even the most interesting real-life celebrities are not nearly as funny as the Springfieldianites).

2) Worse, being an actual cameo of a celebrity which I don't like. Yes, I know it's a personal thing, and I know there are people who adore him, but what were F*x thinking? Did they want everyone British to hate the episode? Do they even know that British people exist?

3) Appearing in a bad episode. Again, subjective, but I doubt "Beyond Blunderdome" will top many charts.

4) Being severely overused. It wasn't even a "stupid Homer" episode, it was a "Mel Gibson appears in every single animation cel, oh and sometimes stupid Homer" episode.

5) Making existing characters OOC with his l33t self-insertion powerz: making Marge look like a whore.

6) Appearing to have no personal flaws.

7) Performing stupid stunts.

8 ) Referencing his own films non-stop. I wish they'd made the jerk appear under a false name; at least that way it wouldn't have been a celebrity vehicle.

Just my two cents. I don't mean to antagonise you or anything, just to voice my opinion about that particular celebrity and the way he ruined an episode which... well, would likely have sucked anyway.

Still... on second thought, I would retract my former idea that Mel Gibson is the Worst Guest Star Ever. I think that tarnished, tarnished prize goes to Earth Overlord Kim Basinger and The Faceless, Soulless Men She Lives With in "When You Dish Upon a Star". On third thought, that episode, for all its blatant flaws, actually tried to mock the celebrities (if you call a stupid jibe about Oscars "mocking"), whereas "Beyond Blunderdome" just kissed Gibson's... anyway. "Beyond Blunderdome" had just one overused guest star, whereas "When You Dish Upon a Star" had three, two of which I had never heard of previous to watching it. Ergo, in my opinion, it's worse.

(And I can't believe they made Smithers appear to be a crossdresser. Was that just to make Kim the Merciless look more feminine? I think it might have been.)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Jase_to_the_Izzo
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Jase_to_the_Izzo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:12 am

Yeah, 'When You Dish Upon A Star' was a horrible episode. But I think Homerpalooza was much worse, although in retrospect, it was actually a good time capsule of what it was like to live in the mid-1990s.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:16 am

I'm not really partial to "Homerpalooza", and yes, now it's horribly dated too. :) But at least, if guest stars belong anywhere, it's at a rock festival or similar.

As for "When You Dish Upon a Star"... what were they *thinking*? Did anyone seriously think the fans wouldn't hate it?
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
The_Anti-Ned
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by The_Anti-Ned » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:19 am

MAN! that is a long reply. well like Testament says in there song "True Believer" VIOLENCE IS GOLDEN!!! it dosn't matter that much to me if it is all wordie durdie or whut ever it is that u said just as long as it makes me laugh. Plus you have to admit tha wuz pretty funny when for no apparent reason he decapitated the president. And lets not forget "It was symbolizm he was mad!" But I'm sure that the other 23rds of your reply could have convinced he that your right. Don't take it personally, I just dont read. "Wooopp woop wop woop!"
Woe to you, O Earth and Sea, for the Devil brings th Beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short... Lat him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, Its number is Six hundred and Sixty six.

-Revelations Ch.13 v.18
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:45 pm

I'm going to have to say Marcia Wallace...even though she is now a regular. I saw her on an old Match Game on the Gameshow network and I just loved to hear her talk. Small things amuse small minds...
I hated Mel Gibson though...they shouldn't mix the real world with the Simpsons, it just makes it confusing. There will also be some rabid children running around every Springfield in the states trying to find Homer Simpson...
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:52 pm

I like Homerpalooza a lot...

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:18 pm

Abe_Simpson wrote:...they shouldn't mix the real world with the Simpsons...
Agreed.Lots of characters - Mcbain, Bumblebee man, Drederick [sp?] Tatum - were good because they were parodies of real people, but more importantly, could be parodies of entire genres. McBain taking on the 'Commie-Nazis' in order to deliver care packages, complete with firey explosions, was supurb, as it could make fun of so many scenes in action films that are plain ridiculous but people accept anyway. Whereas mel Gibson driving around in that Mad Max car*... it just doesn't do anything aside from the obvious.

Though i did like him asking Lisa to drive instead of Homer ;D

*[size=0.5]was it Mad Max? Or have I misunderstood something. Oh the shame, not quite understanding something to do with Mel Gibson...[/size]
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:55 pm

I'm pretty sure it was the "Mad Max" car. Either that, or it was from "The Patriot". :)

And I certainly second you, DB. I tend to love those characters which are obvious parodies, whereas guest stars... meh.

(If they had made "The Homer They Fall" today, *of course* they would have had Mike Tyson and Don King instead of Drederick Tatum and Lucius Sweet. Because, oh dear, that's *satire*.)

And I hope they'll never have Arnold Schwarzenegger on the show...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:10 pm

Yes, really, I should have made it more clear. It's really funny when they have parodies. I just hate it when real celebrities are in it i.e. Mel Gibson...I hated that one.
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:13 pm

And I hope they'll never have Arnold Schwarzenegger on the show...
Dreamer!
If/When they do have Schwarzenegger on, I'll bet it'll have something to do with being governor (or at least running for the position) of California.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
FunkyMonk
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by FunkyMonk » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:48 pm

My favorite guest star also happens to be my favorite band. Heres a picture of them that I posted before: http://www.simpworks.com/forums/http:// ... y;start=15

Anyway, I like the peppers on the simpsons just because they

a. Combined their wacky stage antics (giving concerts in their underwear) and funky lyrics

b. The ultimate show met the ultimate band

Oh, and the underwear thing, they hardly ever do that anymore along with their "socks on co**s" , because they're getting older and wiser (on pic, from left to right, john fruciante, 33, Anthony Kiedis, 40, Chad Smith, 41, and Flea, 40)

so, that concludes why the red hot chili peppers are my favorite simpsons guest star
"I think I could sing and shear a few sheep at the same time,"-Robert Plant, NME, 1974