REVIEW: Fraudcast News

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

REVIEW: Fraudcast News

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Mon May 24, 2004 1:35 am

SUMMARY: When Burns buys up all the news companies in Springfield to make himself look better, the only free newslet left is Lisa's small self-published newspaper, resulting in a war between the two.

Hmm...this episode see-sawed a bit. Several jokes, like the mother mole, were just blah and stupid/fell flat. Other jokes, like Burns' League Of Evil and the ant were brilliant. Overall, though, I thought it was a pretty good episode, some nice evil Burns, good Lisa bits, and rather interesting/meaningful plot. I liked it. :)

BROCKMAN: Here at Geezer Rock, where teenagers have come for years to have sex and commit suicide.
SQUEAKY-VOICED TEEN: [jumping] Why'd they cancel 'Futuramaaaaaaaaaa'...

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager

Re:REVIEW: Fraudcast News

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon May 24, 2004 1:39 am

Something tells me that Dana will now claim to be Homer's neighbor. ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 30, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon May 24, 2004 2:01 am

BROCKMAN: Here at Geezer Rock, where teenagers have come for years to have sex and commit suicide.
SQUEAKY-VOICED TEEN: [jumping] Why'd they cancel 'Futuramaaaaaaaaaa'...
LOL etc. :-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Mon May 24, 2004 2:09 am

LOL...you got that right, Tony! ;)

I couldn't believe they dedicated so much time to our beloved "Old Man"...not the best episode ever, but it had its moments...especially for us New Hampshire folks. ;D

By the way, here's an article about some dude who rides around for a living and happened to catch a glimpse of someone very familiar looking...landed in a Statewide paper that Tony knows very well. Hopefully the link works...

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=25537
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Mon May 24, 2004 2:45 am

I thought the 'Futurama' joke would go down well...nice that it's sibling still pays tribute to the show. :)

Oh, you know, I just remembered something. Is it just me, or did Willie get away with saying 'sh*t' on national TV?

And as the resident Skinner fan of the board, I'd like to say how proud I was of Skinny-boy in the bit he had. 'Bout time something good involving him happened again. :)

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Tony_Baritone

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon May 24, 2004 4:12 am

Well, only if you consider "shite" to be the equivalent. Evidently the FCC doesn't.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon May 24, 2004 2:57 pm

Seen it. It's not bad... some good jokes and some touching bits, but overall the whole ep felt strangely aimless. And did anyone else think a few of the voices seemed quite off? Bart and Marge stood out...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Jon
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Jon » Mon May 24, 2004 3:04 pm

Guess what?

I'm actually giving this one a good grade.

Yeah, that's right. First time this season (I've missed about six episodes, though).

This one gets.....

B.

I've heard that guy's an idiot.
capadde
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by capadde » Mon May 24, 2004 3:18 pm

Definitely one of the better episodes this season. It's been a long time since Burns had such a big part.

Grade: B+
What would you do if you found an angel on your balcony?
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Mon May 24, 2004 4:21 pm

I dunno about Bart, but yeah, you're right, Marge did sound off.

--MST3K interview

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon May 24, 2004 4:51 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. Any episode focusing on Lisa and Burns is great. A couple of jokes fell flat, as Sheana said (namely, the mother mole and Burns's brain falling out), but it didn't really detract too much from the episode.

The episode itself was quite good. Burns being over-the-top evil is always fun, and this was no exception. The propagandistic I&S cartoon was a riot, as was Burns plastering the falsified Milhouse/Lisa romance all over town, and the League of Evil was probably the best over-the-top-evil Burns joke in years. The ending was a terrific way to circumvent Burns's media control.

All in all, a great way to end the season.

Favorite parts:
"Why did they cancel Futurama?!"
"I have been '89' for a while now."
Lisa's poem and its readers
Nelson the TV Critic
Selling Channel 6
Principal Skinrash
"What's Nuked, Pussycat?"
Attempting to Bribe Lisa
"My God, are you always on?"
"And by the way, that story I filed from Baghdad was made up. I was actually in Basra."
Ralph in the Chicago Tribune
"Nonviolence never solved anything!"
The League of Evil
Interrogating Homer
"Way to go, Moon Milhouse!"
Crushing An Ant
"I reviewed the new tractors. They're all shite!"
Burns and Smithers's Brownnosing

Season 14 was better than Season 13. Season 15 was better than Season 14. Do you follow me, Pinky? Grade: A
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Tony_Baritone

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon May 24, 2004 5:34 pm

Also, Kearney sounded like Ralph in one scene. And--is this the first OFF episode to share a title with an episode of "Darkwing Duck"? :)
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Mon May 24, 2004 5:51 pm

Good episode, I like it. Including the ending part when the characters make their own media, like taking Patty or Selma test to see if you are Patty or Selma. I give it an 8 and the half.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
FunkyMonk
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by FunkyMonk » Mon May 24, 2004 11:05 pm

Sheana wrote: Oh, you know, I just remembered something. Is it just me, or did Willie get away with saying 'sh*t' on national TV?

And as the resident Skinner fan of the board, I'd like to say how proud I was of Skinny-boy in the bit he had. 'Bout time something good involving him happened again. :)
Yeah, I could have sworn he said s**t, or something very close to it. I was like "Did he just say what I thought he said?" And, I also agree with you about the Skinner bit of the show. He's my favorite character so I always pay the most attention to the parts of the show with him in it. ;)

I thought that "Fraudcast News" was an ok episode. I laughed at the part in the beginning when Homer says that little 'poem':

"Here's a poem for you! You better run fast or you'll lose your ass!" or something like that. Anyway, I think I'll give this episode an A-
"I think I could sing and shear a few sheep at the same time,"-Robert Plant, NME, 1974

skajme
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by skajme » Mon May 24, 2004 11:56 pm

yes this was a good episode, a good end to the season. yeah i thought marges voice was off too, barts seemed okay.also im thinkin that willie saying shite will be edited out when this episode is shown in the uk
Space. It seems to go on and on forever.
But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

www.skajme.deviantart.com