I bought it! I [bleep]ing bought it!

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

I bought it! I [bleep]ing bought it!

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:23 pm

The Simpsons Sing The Blues!

Yeah, I decided to burn the very last drops of my last pay on this, but it was necessary. This was a purchase that I needed to do. And I was quite lucky, because I thought it wasn't released in Brazil - but it was, in a collection of movie soundtracks, along with soundtracks for Cal (by Mark Knopfler!), Mr. Holland's Opus and Tommy... Yeah, ok.

But yesterday, out of work, I went out on a little trek. I went into a second-hand store that I visit very frequently. The guy has all sorts of LP's and CDs, but he told me he didn't have Simpsons CDs, and told me to go to some other place where they had record stores, too. After I found the place (almost giving up), I entered the stores by the entrance, and the girl on the second store told me to go to the 3rd level. Climbing up the stairway, I found this store with hundreds of LP's on shelves, and hopelessly asked the guy if he had Simpsons CDs. And he had it. It was waiting for me, I'm positive on that. He asked R$ 20 for it, but I only had 15 with me. But he told me to take the CD home and give him the remaining 5 the next day - which I'm going to do today, right before I go home from work.

And, well, the album? Well, I had pretty high expectations for it. Being a Simpsons CD, I expected it to be a quite good comedy album of sorts. But after two listens, the CD managed to top even the highest of my expectations! Seriously, guys, it has been years since I listened to an album that put me in such an utterly ecstatic state as The Simpsons Sing The Blues put me yesterday - not Amarok, not Revolver, and certainly not Disintegration... But I'm serious when I say this album is, without prefix or suffix, spectacular. Among these 10 tracks, there isn't even a single that I consider anything less than great. I knew 'God Bless The Child' already, as a trusty Lisa fan, and it sounded even better than what I remembered it to be - even if I still remembered every single note of it! :) The two singles, 'Deep, Deep Trouble' and 'Do The Bartman' are masterfully written and fun. The latter is very Michael Jackson-ish (wasn't that the intention, anyway?), but I like it better than anything Michael was putting out in 1990. 'Look At All Those Idiots' and 'Sibling Rivalry' are nothing short of spectacular. The angry blues of 'Born Under A Bad Sign' and 'Moanin' Lisa Blues' are awesome in a way the Beatles' 'Yer Blues' could never be, and even Chuck Berry's 'School Day' sounds simply great! Even the oldies-style 'I Love To See You Smile' and 'Springfield Soul Stew' are excellent. The latter has Marge announcing the "ingredients" in a way that would make Vivian Stanshall proud.

What an excellent purchase. I'm positive this one is going to be stuck to the CD player for quite some time. It's already lovingly OGGed (similar to MP3'd, but better) in my computer, and shelved right between Dark Side Of The Moon and my Queen CDs. I'm definitely going to put a review of it on my website next weekend. It's a complete, perfect 10/10 with all possible honours.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Re:I bought it! I [bleep]ing bought it!

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:23 pm

Yeah it was hard to look for album. But I hope you enjoy it.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Told you so! ;D

BURNS: Well, we can't have a breakdown! What if there were any inspectors around? Play something, Smithers!
SMITHERS: But sir, I'm awfully...
BURNS: I said "do it", so do it! DO IT DO IT DO IT!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:16 pm

Wow... God knows how I DO understand you. This album is awesome, it's the best of all Simpsons albums, I think. It's not so easy to find something related to the Simpsons in our country, especially in Siberia region, where I live. But I did found it, 8) and was amazed of "Sing The Blues". Of course, "God Bless The Child" is the best track in this album. DTB & DDT is the Simpsons classic, "Sibling Rivalry" is also great. Well, I just don't know what to say, but I'm happy that somebody else can understand the feelings that I get then I hear this the first time. P.S. You certainly should hear "Anyone Else" from "The Yellow Album". This track is also great, IMHO.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:39 pm

A lot of The Yellow Album wasn't that great, but a few tracks stand out.

Sing the Blues is ust nifty. I found my copy of the album sitting on a CD rack by my computer earlier today. When I find time to clean up my hdd I'm going to OGG it and the Yellow Album. Fun... I think my favorite tracks are actually Love to See You Smile and Born Under a Bad Sign. I would say why, but I can't really find the word right now. At one point I was thinking about making an animated video to go with LTSYS but then I found out that animation is not an easy thing to do.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:40 pm

Ooh, who sings 'Born Under A Bad Sign'?

Cool purchase, Fernie! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:51 pm

Homer sings "Born Under a Bad Sign". And I love this album too. Wish I had it. :-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:06 pm

Note to self: Buy the bloody thing this week. The sale at HMV is almost over, so I shouldn't waste any time getting it. By the sounds of it, 6 euros for it sounds like a bargain.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:55 pm

Mr Snake wrote: The two singles, 'Deep, Deep Trouble' and 'Do The Bartman' are masterfully written and fun. The latter is very Michael Jackson-ish (wasn't that the intention, anyway?), but I like it better than anything Michael was putting out in 1990.
Actually, Michael Jackson was actually involved in the production of 'Do The Bartman' apparently, according to both Al Jean and Nancy Cartwright. I think he helped direct it or something. Nancy said the non-sung line "eat your heart out, Michael!" from Bart was a little ad-lib she actually added in for him.

And on an overall note, in case others can't tell, 'Look at All Those Idiots!' is my all-time favourite from this CD. :)
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:24 pm

He helped write it, as I recall.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:59 pm

There aren't any credits for Michael Jackson to the song, so if he did help write it, he went uncredited (not that that's an uncommon practice for The Simpsons, of course). But then, this Brazilian edition has none of the original liner notes, no lyrics sheet, nothing at all, so I can't tell really. But that song struck me as very obviously Jackson-ish to me, and he's even mentioned twice, so he probably did have something to do with it, anyway. And that is nifty.

It's a shame that The Yellow Album doesn't seem to be very good, because the Sgt. Pepper parody cover is probably deceiving. But I'll get it if I find it, along with the two other CD's with songs from the show. It's all in the name of reviews, I say!

And "Look At All Those Idiots" is easily one of the best tracks in here. And "Sibling Rivalry" made me immediately think of Gabriel-era Genesis, no kidding! Oh, well, I'm a freak.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Bothead

Post by Bothead » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:26 pm

The Yellow Album is good. My favourites are 'The Ten Commandments of Bart' (Bart), 'I Just Can't Help Myself' (Bart, Lisa, and a funny verse from Homer), 'Twenty Four Hours A Day' (Apu) and 'She's Coming Out Swinging' (Lisa). It's good enough but there's two or three songs which I don't bother with.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Jake L

Post by Jake L » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:50 am

Also, if you happen to run across/download some more songs of that era, be on the lookout for the Do The Bartman and Deep Deep Trouble CD singles, especially the latter. DDT's "Jazzy Jeff" remix is better than the original, IMO.
FunkyMonk
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by FunkyMonk » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:22 pm

Yup, I bought this cd a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good. I had already purchased the other three simpsons cds, and they weren't too good in my opinion. So I was expecting "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" to be the same. But It's definitely better than I had expected.

...And I just noticed that I haven't posted here for a long time. Sorry guys! ;D
"I think I could sing and shear a few sheep at the same time,"-Robert Plant, NME, 1974

Bothead

Post by Bothead » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:47 pm

Got the Simpsons Sing The Blues Today. Decent album. I'm not really into blues music but I enjoyed it. Do The Bartman is a good opener and Sibling Rivalry is a good way to finish. I liked the organ playing in the background during the chorus. Gave it a feeling that families without sibling rivalries are unholy and just not right. Look At All Those Idiots is without a doubt the best song in the album. The rest are passable. They wouldn't be the first songs I'd play whenever I put the cd in but I'd listen to them if I'd have to.

Dance Epidemic tonight!