How killing The Simpsons might help save it.

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
margefan
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: How killing The Simpsons might help save it.

Post by margefan » Tue May 09, 2006 1:54 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to argue with shockwave. He seems to have the same mentality as all the TOS crew (the original series) have on the BattleStar Galactica boards I frequent. They will make any outrageous critism of the show (the new series) and try to make it sound like the worst thing that has ever been on TV merely because it doesnt fufill there requirements of a 70's throw back. I.e. all this GINO (Galactica In Name Only Rubbish). If you dont like the show then dont keep watching it-dont sit there making a list of things you hate about it so you can try and shout at a bunch of fellow nerds over the other end of the internet.

Odd because I actually agree with him here on the simpsons, but you can tell he'd be totally inflexible and single minded if anyone tried to argue otherwise and I can see the exact same attitude here. So I wouldnt bother-if you like the new episodes thats fine, its your preference but dont expect to change the opinion of someone who doesnt want to change their opinion.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Tue May 09, 2006 2:00 pm

margefan wrote: I wouldnt bother-if you like the new episodes thats fine, its your preference but dont expect to change the opinion of someone who doesnt want to change their opinion.
Finally, someone with sense in this mod-forsaken thread.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue May 09, 2006 2:20 pm

Well, my activity in this thread started from Kenneth's point that all who enjoy the show nowadays are morons. I have nothing against him not liking the recent episodes, but keep yourself in the bounds.
If you dont like the show then dont keep watching it-dont sit there making a list of things you hate about it so you can try and shout at a bunch of fellow nerds over the other end of the internet.
Nothing to add :)
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue May 09, 2006 4:15 pm

[applauds margefan]

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue May 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Well, my activity in this thread started from Kenneth's point that all who enjoy the show nowadays are morons.
Using his own points, you don't need to respect - or even consider - that point if he didn't "earn" it. Just send it to God-knows-where and you'll be fine.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue May 09, 2006 9:44 pm

margefan wrote: I wouldn't bother trying to argue with shockwave. He seems to have the same mentality as all the TOS crew (the original series) have on the BattleStar Galactica boards I frequent. They will make any outrageous critism of the show (the new series) and try to make it sound like the worst thing that has ever been on TV merely because it doesnt fufill there requirements of a 70's throw back. I.e. all this GINO (Galactica In Name Only Rubbish). If you dont like the show then dont keep watching it-dont sit there making a list of things you hate about it so you can try and shout at a bunch of fellow nerds over the other end of the internet.

Odd because I actually agree with him here on the simpsons, but you can tell he'd be totally inflexible and single minded if anyone tried to argue otherwise and I can see the exact same attitude here. So I wouldnt bother-if you like the new episodes thats fine, its your preference but dont expect to change the opinion of someone who doesnt want to change their opinion.
That was splendiferous.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Tue May 09, 2006 11:22 pm

Dagdamor wrote: Besides, such "rules" can lead you to the very touchy issues... using them, you might claim half of the fanart/fanfiction posted here, bad. I hope you realize that.
Every show should have some basic "rules" though. That's what keeps it real, and sets in in a believable world. Otherwise it'd just be chaos, and random, wacky, pointless crap with no rhyme or reason. Without rules, what's to stop a genie from appearing in Springfield and turning everybody into munchkins, or Homer having the ability to fly? It's not so much rules as having well defined boundaries.

As for the art and fiction here, the art doesn't really matter since it's not a storyline, but I would (and do) use the same criteria when reviewing fanfics. How can one review a fic if they're not looking at the quality of the humour, how well in-character everybody is, how well the plot flows, originiality, etc?
I do, and it won't. My views on episodes from 18 years ago haven't changed, my views on the crap that was Seasons 11 and 12 haven't changed, and my views on today's mindless drivel aren't likely to change either.
Too bad...
I disliked the rake joke mainly because I've seen it already so many times before. It wasn't original... and originality is one of the main things I like so much in the show. Another reason for me not to like the joke is that it humiliates Bob a lot. He's quite a smart character, and seeing him stepping on a rake again and again, at least 10 (!) times... man, that was a miserable joke. :(
Firstly, I find the term of "originality" to be rather ironic, considering that jokes these days couldn't get less original if they tried.

Secondly, it's always been a part of Bob's character that despite his superior intelligence and dignity, he is always the victim of humiliating slapstick style humour, which stems from him being Krusty's silent stooge, and is part of his charm. The rake joke is no more humiliating than him being fired out of a cannon, having his pants pulled down while Krusty kicks his butt, being choked by a dumbbell, crashing the Wright Brothers' plane into a shack and doing no damage except to himself, etc.
Ahem... thanks a lot, Kenneth. What did you expect from such an ignorant moron like me? But I was talking about the show creators - a group of people who writes a full-length script every week. I know it's a damn hard work, because I tried writing myself. I was talking about respecting them, not me.
Some have my respect, others do not. Some had it and lost it too. Though to truly gauge all the writers individually, I'd need to sit in a writers room amongst them. I know several (Jon Vitti, Bill Odenkirk, J. Stewart Burns, etc) have been capable of greatness in the past, but don't seem to be producing the goods today, but then a credited writer only really writes 30% of their script, and the rest is a mix of input from others.
Sorry, Kenneth, but you're not Tolkien. His methods might not work for you. Besides, it looks like not only you write only for yourself, but expecting others to write only for you, too. Tolkien never claimed his point of view the only right one. I don't remember him bashing stories by other people, too. ;)
Firstly, I don't want to sound arrogant, but from the reviews I've recieved so far from my work, the method has worked for me. And it's a method I took on myself before I even knew Tolkien had the same motivation. I think it's a motivation for most writers in fact: they write the type of stories they themselves would like to read.

And, no, I'm not expecting writers to write only for me, I'm expecting them to write in the style the show used to have by being true to the characters, having witty and clever jokes, inspired parodies and/or social commentary, timelessness, and good plot and story structure.
"Technically"? "Clear evidence"? Man, you don't understand. There are no fixed rules in the plot development field. What you claim "clear evidence" is just your personal opinion, once again. The only fixed rules here are spelling and grammar rules, and everything else, including "in character" and "out of character" things, are subjective. You might not like it - someone else might like it, and vice versa.
By that simple "logic" then, any and every Simpsons episodes is a triumph, and the same could go for any fanfic as long as spelling and grammar are okay. It doesn't matter if it has a panda raping Homer, jockey elves, Ned having a threesome, Lisa killing everybody in Springfield and then eating them, or whatever.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue May 09, 2006 11:27 pm

Guys, for the love of God!  Are you ignoring all other posts in this thread?  Please, please, PLEASE.  Let this thread die and stop going on and on and on at each other.  You've both said all you can possibly say, and all you've been doing for a while now is beat a dead horse.  It's not even recognizable as a horse anymore.  For the sake and sanity of this board, PLEASE let this thread die.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Tue May 09, 2006 11:29 pm

I would erm, like to concur with Sheana.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Tue May 09, 2006 11:44 pm

Fine! I'll shut up now... I'm sick of being the only line of defense for the classic episodes anyway, despite knowing there are those here who share the same basic feelings.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Wed May 10, 2006 5:24 am

Oh, we're here.  We also know that it's pointless defending them.  Trying to convince others that the older episodes were the best is like... well, trying to convince you that the newer episodes aren't crap.

You two, Kenneth and Serge, are so much alike, it's not funny.  You both are fans of the same show, but from two completely opposite ends.  You both are Unstoppable Forces, charging head-on at each other.  When you meet, you force each other to become Immovable Objects, which causes chaos for everyone else.

The final conclusion:  The earlier episodes hold a lot of funny moments for us earlier fans, and the newer episodes hold a lot of funny moments for the newer fans.  The earlier fans will never understand fully why some people prefer the newer episodes, and the newer fans will never understand fully why some people are holding onto the early episodes.  The humour between the seasons is vastly different, thus appeals to two different audiences, while annoying both at the same time.

Kenneth, you will never convince Serge and co. to like the older episodes more than the newer episodes, and Serge will never convince Kenneth and such to like the newer episodes.  So get over it.

This thread ends NOW.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 10, 2006 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.