Guest Stars! Best and Worst!

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Guest Stars! Best and Worst!

Post by Terry Y » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:47 pm

It seems a little slow in here, so I pose a question.  Who was the best guest voice on either OFF or Futurama?  Also, which ones just never should have happenend?

Best: Al Gore on Futurama.

Whether you agree with his politics or not, you have to admit he was probably the best actor without an acting background. 

Worst: Martin Sheen on OFF ("The Prinipal and the Pauper")

Okay, he did a decent job.  But that episode just sucks.  Plain and Simple.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Re: Guest Stars! Best and Worst!

Post by Kif White » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:11 am

Best on OFF: Too many to choose. Kelsey Grammer, Phil Hartman, Joe Mantegna, Albert Brooks, Jon Lovitz, Danny DeVito, Eric Idle, Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, James Woods, Mark Hamill, James Earl Jones, etc all stand out.

Worst on OFF: This is the same, but I still think Jack LaLanne was the most pointless and stupid cameo. Following closely behind are Mark McGwire, Evan Marriott, J.K. Rowling, Butch Patrick, Regis Philbin, Kathy Lee Gifford, Oscar De La Hoya, David L. Lander, Baha Men, etc

-----

Best on Futurama: I'd have to say Sigourney Weaver, who just edges out the Star Trek cast and Bea Arthur.

Worst on Futurama: No guests really bothered me on the show to be honest, but if I had to choose, probably Pauly Shore, just because... well... he's Pauly Shore.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:15 am

Actually, I thought Regis & Kathy Lee's bit on that one THOH episode was rather clever and amusing.

Best On OFF:  Kelsey Grammer, Phil Hartman, Danny DeVito, Albert Brooks, Dustin Hoffman, James Earl Jones, quite a few others...basically I'm just repeating here.  Danny DeVito so needs to come back, he's a surprisingly excellent voice actor.

Worst On OFF:  Far too many to list.

Best On Futurama:  Various 'Star Trek' folk, John Goodman.

Worst On Futurama:  There is no excuse for Pauly Shore.  Plus, I thought Lucy Lu's bit was very blah and weak, and I plain didn't like the episode either.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:34 am

Molloy the Catburglar wrote: Danny DeVito so needs to come back, he's a surprisingly excellent voice actor.
Half of me agrees. The other half of me dreads what the current staff would do to his character if that were the case though...  :-\
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:22 pm

OK, in this post, I'll only list guest stars who appear as themselves, because if they play an actual character (no matter for how long), I consider them as actors. Of course, this means that I'm rather unfair to all the brilliant guest stars who actually have some kind of an impact on an episode, but never mind. I like being cruel and unfair to celebrities.

Best on OFF: bar the good ones who played actual roles, Sting ("Radio Bart"). Good singing and no diva behaviour. EDIT: And I shouldn't have left out James Earl Jones (primarily "'Round Springfield").
Worst on OFF: too many to mention, but I'd personally like to kick Gary Coleman ("Grift of the Magi", "Day of the Jackanapes").

Best on Futurama: the cast of Star Trek ("Where No Fan Has Gone Before")
Worst on Futurama: Lucy Liu ("I Dated a Robot", and a bit in "Love & Rocket"). Nuff said.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:30 pm

Right off the top of my head:

Best: Michael Jackson
Worst:N'Sync
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:29 pm

Best of OFF: James Earl Jones, that I remember

Worst: John DiMaggio, not because of poor performance though, just bad execution.
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:59 pm

The Simpsons
Best: Kelsey Grammer (He is Sideshow Bob.)
Worst: Kid Rock (Episode plot aside, he not only failed to add anything to the storyline, I can't even remember if he had any lines; just that song.)  Mark McGuire is a close second.

Futurama
Best: Sigourney Weaver (Her work in L&R was excellent.  I wasn't even aware that the ship was being done by a guest star until I found out through CGEF.)
Worst: Rosanne (Not necessarily because of her voicework, but I always felt her role in that episode was pointless.)
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:53 am

I forgot about Roseanne!  Which may be a good thing.  But yeah, she's on the Worst list as well.

I think it's possible we may see DeVito/Herb again.  He was mentioned briefly in a recent episode, like they were trying to refresh him in people's memories for a reason...

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:57 am

Rosanne as a guest star would have worked better if they didn't have that incredibly stupid bit over the credits. It's been known for museums to hire washed-up stars for stupid edumacational videos before...
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:27 pm

Of course, this brings up the whole "Amber-griss" vs. "Amber-gree" argument.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:26 pm

I say "Amber-gree", considering it's French.

Ah, it's much simpler in Swedish, where we just call it "ambra" (same word as "amber", apparently). On second thoughts, that's not simpler, only more confusing...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
arpulver
Demi-God
Demi-God

Post by arpulver » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:59 pm

Most of the above, and a couple others that are worth acknowledging:
Penny Marshall, Ron Taylor, Sam Neil, Kathleen Turner, Patrick Stuart, Mandy Patinkin, Glenn Close.
Back in my day, we didn't have none of this php or frames or auto-whatsit. I ran this place single-handed doing the HTML on Notepad! And it was better! Everything was subject to my star ratings and if it was crap, I durn said so! And speakin' of crap, these newbies are getting on my nerves! You can have yer Nordlanders and Dawsons- give me a Stephen Boswell script any day of the week!
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:36 am

I can't say I watch Futurama quite often, so it wouldn't make sense if I fill that category in. Simpsons however...

Best: Not including Kelsey Grammar (Because he doesn't play himself) I'd put my vote with Mel Gibson. That episode was actually ABOUT him! He wasn't just a guy that happened to show up for one scene and have a short, not-so-funny line. His performance added a little extra spark that put him over the top.

Worst: Hmmmm, I don't usually use the words 'worst' and 'Simpsons' in the same sentence, but the lowest rated Simpsons guest star to me would have to be Bob Dylan. (I'm not sure if it even WAS him) Not only was it short, but he didn't even have an understandable line! (Something about converting religions ???)
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
Hera_Potter
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by Hera_Potter » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:02 am

Best: Phil Hartman, Danny DeVito, etc. Oh, and June Foray.  :)

Worst: *sigh*... Kid Rock (enough said, I think  :P), Gary Coleman (TWO appearances- I'd never even heard of him, and that stupid Funzo episode...) Britney Spears (AGH!), Jack LaLanne (he had an exercise show. Wow.), and pretty much every other pointless cameo.
Retrospecticus: Immortalizing Your Awkward Phase