Futurama Direct-to-DVD Movie Official

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Futurama Direct-to-DVD Movie Official

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:45 pm

I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re: Futurama Direct-to-DVD Movie Official

Post by D.B. » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:47 pm

Woo-hoo!
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:12 pm

YES!!!

Except... Fans are discussing this at PEEL, too, and I was under the impression that Billy only mentioned the discussion for the movies.  This is the first I've heard of them being greenlit.

Edit: Here's mArc's quote.
mArc of PEEL wrote: I'll say it again... Even though Billy says it's going ahead, my source (David X.) says it's not that far yet. As far as I can see, Groening himself said something about Futurama on the Comicon, but I don't have the actual words yet.
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:01 pm

You'd better believe I'm happy.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:00 pm

Woo!

I just hope the Star Trek "Odd Rule" doesn't apply here...
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:51 pm

The nerds are amassing, the balance in the world is now restored. Life is good!
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:38 pm

Bothead wrote: The nerds are amassing, the balance in the world is now restored. Life is good!
Rise, my brothers and sisters! THE TIME HAS COME FOR THE REVENGE OF THE NERDS!
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:36 am

Stretch Dude wrote:
Bothead wrote: The nerds are amassing, the balance in the world is now restored. Life is good!
Take that you stupid jocks!  Flush my glasses down the toilet, will you!?  WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:40 am

Stretch Dude wrote:
So go ahead, put us down.
One of these days we'll turn it around.
Won't be long, mark my words.
Time has come for Revenge of the Nerds!
Back from the dead!
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:22 pm

I could hardly wait for that :).
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
C.Victoria

Post by C.Victoria » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:59 am

Vulgaris Prime wrote: So go ahead, put us down.
One of these days we'll turn it around.
Won't be long, mark my words.
Time has come for Revenge of the Nerds!
[size=12px]LMAO! I almost spewed my pepsi out on my PC screen from laughing after I read that. XD

Anyway, yaaay Futurama movie. <33 Sounds awesome![/size]
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:23 am

*ROTF* :D
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:43 am

Reviving an old thread for this new article I found. Nothing much more conclusive here, but it seems the hope is there just as much as it has been for the past 1/2 a year or so... perhaps even a little moreso. I've been watching the DVD's lately a lot for writing my next fic, so I'm really getting into the idea of seeing some new episodes at the moment. All my fingers and toes are crossed. Anyway, here's the link, but I'll quote it too:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv--radio/of ... 46734.html

Off the planet
By Michael Idato
December 12, 2005

Matt Groening has faith in the relaunch of Futurama, writes Michael Idato.

Nearly four years after it was cancelled, the popularity of Futurama on DVD could breathe life back into the animated television series. On the subject of a rumoured resurrection, creator Matt Groening, best known for his other animated hit, The Simpsons, says, intriguingly: "You never know."

Such a trail was blazed in 2004 by another animated series, Family Guy. Fuelled by DVD sales and high-rating reruns, it spawned a direct-to-DVD film and two seasons of television episodes.

The move caught the television industry by surprise, and left several lost properties, including Futurama, ripe with possibility.

"Three months ago, I would have said we were going to start tomorrow," says writer David X. Cohen, who collaborated with Groening on Futurama. "And one month ago I would also have said we were going to start tomorrow. So ..." He pauses. "My current estimate is that we're starting tomorrow."

The series, relaunched on Ten earlier this month (it previously aired on Seven), was something Groening and Cohen tinkered with in the writer's room at The Simpsons for more than two years. Cohen's background was in computer science, but both, Groening recalls, had a passion for science fiction. "What Matt is saying," Cohen interjects, "is that I stood out as the nerd on The Simpsons writing staff, and that is really saying something."

In the series, pizza delivery boy Philip J. Fry (Billy West) is accidentally frozen in a cryogenic facility and revived in 2999. Signing on with Planet Express, a space courier service, he befriends a one-eyed alien, Leela (Katey Sagal), an alcohol-powered robot, Bender (John Di Maggio), office manager Hermes Conrad (Phil LaMarr) and Dr Zoidberg (also voiced by West), a lobster-like alien.

Sitting in his office, an oasis of organised chaos in the relative calm of Los Angeles's 20th Century Fox film lot, Groening concedes their partnership was lucky but unlikely. "Not everyone wants to tell stories about robots," he says. Cohen adds from across the room: "I only want to tell stories about robots."

In Futurama, Cohen says, they hoped to "incorporate all the craziest ideas from science fiction, but we also wanted to have a point and reflect on life today. I think on our good days we had it both ways."

Their biggest obstacle was being taken seriously, Groening says. "We had this show that looked goofy, with robots and aliens, but was actually very sophisticated. Having people overcome the hurdle of taking us seriously was something we didn't anticipate. Interestingly, it was my original worry on The Simpsons, where I felt for sure kids would watch, but I didn't know if adults would give it a chance. What I love about the reaction to Futurama these days is that people who did give it a chance and fell in love with it are still ardent fans."

Australia is at the vanguard of that popularity, Cohen says. "I made the mistake of giving out my email on one of the DVD commentaries and it was staggering. Loads of email came in, most of it from Australia, so I know we're popular there. Either that or you all have a lot of time on your hands."

Both Futurama and The Simpsons, Groening says, share an ambition to tell timeless jokes. "Both shows are trying to do something which will knock people out the first time they watch it, but will also hold up years later," he says. "Jokes that make sense now, and will also make sense 10 or 20 years from now."

He concedes, however, that Futurama's US network Fox "never understood" the show. The series was cancelled in May 2002 and its final episode, the 72nd, aired in the US in August 2003. The end came, however, at a fortuitous time. "We were cancelled just at the time the DVD market blew up and became huge," Cohen says. "It's far and away the No. 1 factor in a resuscitation if we do have one."

A return to television or, better, a direct-to-DVD feature would be a natural transition for the show, Cohen says. "The more seriously we took the epic nature of the setting, the better the episodes turned out. For that reason, we always thought that would bode well for a movie because then we could take that to its extreme and do something we couldn't do in 22 minutes."
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:23 pm

I'll keep hoping, then!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:52 pm

Ooh, that is a nifty little article.  And heh, even in print Cohen and Groening are amusing together.  Cripes, it's already been almost four years...

Here's lookin' forward, hopefully.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.