Sniffin' 'em

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Sniffin' 'em

Post by Orange Box » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:07 am

Greetings, Simpworkers! I need some input on this important question:

At one point in "Gump Roast", Homer remarks that all of his senses are getting sharper; then he sniffs the air, and correctly points out that Bart had pizza for lunch, and that Lisa is extremely depressed.

Audio clip: http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season13/gump5.mp3

So, what does depressed Lisa smell like? Or any Simpson, for that matter. Until Smell-o-Vision becomes available, any ideas appreciated!

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
Dagdamor

Re: Sniffin' 'em

Post by Dagdamor » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:04 am

Heh, for some strange reason I always thought that happy Lisa smells like flower. Or candy :)
As for depressed Lisa... hmm, maybe she just loses that smell?
Marco

Post by Marco » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:04 am

Wet wings!

:doh:
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:13 am

Depressed lisa? Flour and feather grunge. Why flour? Have you ever smelled flour?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:08 am

So, what does depressed Lisa smell like?
I find this question disturbing yet intriguing. Is there any point to it or is it just out of curiosity? ;)

From an artistic point of view, I'd have to go for that ozone-ish smell you get when it's raining (you know, the one you can only just smell right at the back of your nose, so you need to take a deep breath to really tell if it's there) or sometimes near lakes. Or failing that wet dog fur (which I always associate with depression, as none of the dogs I've owned have ever enjoyed getting wet). I do wonder though if her depression might have an actual smell - if it's caused by an overall lack of serotonin (which would tie in with the mention in a later episode of her taking Zoloft) then it's not entirely impossible, as serotonin also has an effect on the gastrointestinal tract (though I've no idea if that can translate into a change in general smell at some level). A hormonal imbalance is an even better candidate, as humans are known to subconsciously react to the smell of certain hormones (so a super sensetive nose might conceviably be able to make the leap from picking it up at an unconscious level to a conscious level).

But on balance, I prefer the idea that it smells like rain :)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:20 am

I find this question disturbing yet intriguing. Is there any point to it or is it just out of curiosity?
Yeah. Yeah... Curiosity. Right. *blocks entrance to Lisa cloning lab*

I'd personally go with either
- The smell of September rain falling on grey leaves in the mud.
- The unsettling smell rising from lakes at 5am in early spring.
- The smell of abandoned railroad tracks in the middle of a large field when the skies are grey and the sun is about to set.

The absense of a smell is not a bad idea (when depressed, Lisa isn't playful, and sits still most of the time; therefore, air circulation around her is at a minimum, and her smell doesn't reach Homer's nose). As for Homer himself, he probably smells like cheap aftershave, and/or filthy pants.
has an effect on the gastrointestinal tract (though I've no idea if that can translate into a change in general smell at some level)
The gastrointestinal tract, and general smell? As far as I know, they are completely unrelated :doh: (oh, very mature, OB!)

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:51 pm

lisa seems like a hyginic person, so to me, normaly, she would wear perfume. Whilst depressed, more like sweat.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:11 pm

I also thought about rain, but maybe that has to do with my extreme hatred of rain? I dunno.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:11 pm

Casper wrote: lisa seems like a hyginic person, so to me, normaly, she would wear perfume.
I'm sure she smells just fine without perfume...

*suddenly remembers Lisa's remark about how great it is to go days without bathing ("Lard of the Dance")*

...now I'm not so sure. :doh:

Orange Box
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:51 pm

A happy Lisa smells like flowers.
A sad Lisa smells like a really bad storm brewing.
And I can't exactly see her putting on perfume, but hey, that's just me...
Back from the dead!
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:07 pm

And I can't exactly see her putting on perfume, but hey, that's just me...
I dunno, I'm sure I've seen what looks like a bottle of perfume in the background on her desk on occasions. Or maybe I dreamt it. And as for not washing for days... meh, I think she can probably get away with it and still smell good ;)

No-one's thought of what the rest of the family might smell like yet. I'm guessing Homer probably smells like warm donuts when happy, and anywhere stuffy and formal (like a library or a church) when sad. Marge's smells are is probably freshly cleaned house and old musty house (guess which one is happy and which is sad). Bart I've got pinned as fireworks (or anything explosive) and school textbooks. And finally Maggie might be fluffy toys when happy (with an underlying hint of gunbarrel oil that makes you just that little bit nervous...) and dirty diapers when not.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:33 am

They're all yellow.  And that means they all smell like Play-Doh.  Maybe brand new Play-Doh if they're happy or maybe dried up old Play-Doh if they're sad, but Play-Doh, nonetheless.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:57 am

I think I like Terry's reasoning with this.  The yellow skin combined with the sort of food they tend to eat puts me in mind of saltiness, and Play-Doh seems to fit the bill!

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.