I have finally cracked Lisa's Wedding!

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Re: I have finally cracked Lisa's Wedding!

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:21 pm

LizardQueen wrote: Or if you wish to covince me that Lisa is a flawless Demiangel, list all the nice things Lisa has done for Bart.
Oh, THANK YOU, you've just given me a crossover idea.  Now the world will have to suffer because of this.
Back from the dead!
Robbie
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Robbie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:26 am

Lisa Simpson IS The Demiurge!
I think this is sick. You're staring at a dot!
jenny
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by jenny » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:01 pm

arpulver wrote:
jenny wrote: Here's an interesting perspective on this whole affair. This was provided to me by Johnny Preston, and we all know what happens when Johnny Preston gets onto the case. Things start to happen.

Anyway, Johnny Preston has a theory that, since the Simpsons are a fictitious cartoon family, they're just manipulated by the writers of the show into doing things that move the story along and make people laugh. Johnny Preston therefore believes that there is no convulted backstory to Lisa's Wedding, because what's the point?

Johnny Preston goes on to say that the whole Milhouse thing was probably just a quick joke - JP says that jokes are quite important in television comedies, which is apparently what The Simpsons is.

I think Johnny Preston is crazy.
Is Johnny Preston supposed to be some sort of metaphor for the obvious fundamentals that we're supposed to overlook? Or barring that, a relative of those Billy characters in the Troy McClure educational films?
Johnny Preston is a metaphor for me thinking that people are reading a bit too much into a television comedy programme. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick and no-one is as serious as I think they are, but there seems to be a bit of a late-sixties oh-my-God-the-White-Album-predicts-Armageddon vibe going on here.
HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:59 pm

jenny wrote:
arpulver wrote:
jenny wrote: Here's an interesting perspective on this whole affair. This was provided to me by Johnny Preston, and we all know what happens when Johnny Preston gets onto the case. Things start to happen.

Anyway, Johnny Preston has a theory that, since the Simpsons are a fictitious cartoon family, they're just manipulated by the writers of the show into doing things that move the story along and make people laugh. Johnny Preston therefore believes that there is no convulted backstory to Lisa's Wedding, because what's the point?

Johnny Preston goes on to say that the whole Milhouse thing was probably just a quick joke - JP says that jokes are quite important in television comedies, which is apparently what The Simpsons is.

I think Johnny Preston is crazy.
Is Johnny Preston supposed to be some sort of metaphor for the obvious fundamentals that we're supposed to overlook? Or barring that, a relative of those Billy characters in the Troy McClure educational films?
Johnny Preston is a metaphor for me thinking that people are reading a bit too much into a television comedy programme. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick and no-one is as serious as I think they are, but there seems to be a bit of a late-sixties oh-my-God-the-White-Album-predicts-Armageddon vibe going on here.
I doubt we're that serious, or that we read that much into it.  And what is this about the White Album?  I've never heard this.
Back from the dead!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:01 pm

Charles Manson reckoned that the Beatles were talking straight to him with their songs and telling him to kill all black people. Or something like that.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:25 pm

*falls down in worship of Vulgaris's new avatar*
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:30 pm

I'm sorry, but your whacky theroy is at another castle.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:33 am

I just wizzed through this pleasent conversation, and liked to say...

I dont worship Lisa. I dont worship Groening, or any of his art.

It just happens I draw his cartoon.
(*...or used to draw, not no more.)
The fact that most people's fave character is her, is just weird.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:24 pm

Hey, it's not weird. It's just a reflex of the personality of most members here: brainy, sentimental...

... eh, what? "Brainy and sentimental" isn't an oxymoron!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
papa smurf
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by papa smurf » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:49 pm

Hey! whats the deal? I created a thread where people just went on and on and it got locked and this is a three page never ending rambel fest!
Smurfs are CRAZY GOOD!..................................  i love  me some smurfs. well i guess 0 is better then -2...... not a much better mind you,... but a little
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:56 pm

Did you ever read the rules?

#15 is very clear on this:
The Rules wrote: In the course of a discussion, a thread will wander. This is natural. Let it happen.

[o]If a thread is posted as intentionally meaningless (the “Post HERE LOL!!1” thread), it will be abused by the general membership. This is also natural. Don’t post meaningless threads if you don’t want this to happen.
[o]Intentionally take threads off topic is Not Done, and will lead to punishment.
[o]Attempts to provoke the Admin by intentionally posting Meaningless Threads will result in bad luck dragons shooting out of the toilet whenever you sit down.
[o]Likewise, any attempts at being technical about these rules will result in severe ear bashing. I would hope that we can work with the spirit in which the rules are intended, but if you wish to get technical about them I will work to the strictest letter of the law until you see sense.
In other words, your topic was started as the "meaningless 'post here'" topic, whereas this one just went OT.

The deal, my young friend friend, is rule #5.
— Piet Hein - Grooks