Fanfic va Show

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.

What do you prefer?

Fanfic
55%
Show
45%

Total votes: 20
EvilCupcake
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Fanfic va Show

Post by EvilCupcake » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:37 pm

What appeals to you more?
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Re: Fanfic va Show

Post by Officer 1BDI » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:23 pm

Which show?

It really depends on the fanfic.  There's only a handful of Futurama stories I'd hold as high as the show, and there's a slightly larger pile of Simpson fics that I deem greater than anything the show's put out in the last few seasons, but every fan author has their own biases and ideas of how the shows could be played out (rather than should), and more often than not, it's quite obvious in their stories.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

At this point, I prefer the good Simpson fanfics to the show, and the Futurama episodes over the fanfics.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:23 pm

You might as well ask which is the best invention, writing or the Internet. Since without the shows we wouldn't have fanfiction, I find this question a bit wrongheaded.

That said, there are many Simpsons fanfics better than Season 10 and later. I still don't think you can ask this question.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:03 pm

I pick the show, because fanfic, all you do is read in the story & you don't see pictures. But on the show, you watch some fun stuff & see pics that make us laugh.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:13 pm

Mr. DJ wrote: I pick the show, because fanfic, all you do is read in the story & you don't see pictures. But on the show, you watch some fun stuff & see pics that make us laugh.
Heard of this new thing called "imagination"? I hear it's for sale at your local chemist's and/or pharmacy.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:58 pm

It'll be on the rack next to the tins of Inspiration.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 am

If you're bored, or maybe just can't finish a fanfic, Imagination just might be the drug for you.

Warning: Side affects include dizziness, nausea, hallucination, bad jokes, sexual experimentation, utopian politics, doodling, vivid dreams, fan fics, cosplaying, and living in your own private world.  If attending school, you should not take imagination as it will result in low test scores, boredom, and drawings in textbook margins.
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
margefan
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by margefan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:18 am

Immaterial wrote:
Mr. DJ wrote: I pick the show, because fanfic, all you do is read in the story & you don't see pictures. But on the show, you watch some fun stuff & see pics that make us laugh.
Heard of this new thing called "imagination"? I hear it's for sale at your local chemist's and/or pharmacy.
Chemist?? ??? I thought it was on the nearest street corner  :D

As for the question Im not sure, some fanfics see the show from angles im not interested in and vice versa. Still, gotta say fanfics to encourage the writers! :)
sabrina_diamond
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician
Custom Title: Hippie

Post by sabrina_diamond » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:39 am

Definately FANFICTIONssss... Besides, don't you think the show writers are getting tired of writing already? You can see it from their point of view... Fanfics however, put a new spin on the show and add new situations, plots and characters... Unpredictability... I like!  :doh:
simpsonsnut78
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by simpsonsnut78 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:04 am

it depends... in the show you can see them doing and saying what you wrote... but in fanfic you get use your imagination or other peoples imagination
ruffles: hey guess what, i can draw marge!!!
chum: oh yeah? well i can draw homer
ruffles: i can drw fry!!! now what?
chum: shut up...
J2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by J2 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:00 am

thatmargesimpsonfan wrote: it depends... in the show you can see them doing and saying what you wrote... but in fanfic you get use your imagination or other peoples imagination
Thanks to the No Homer's Club, I can't remember what happened 10 minutes ago.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:43 am

I cast my vote for FanFic, though that decision is not made lightly. Show makes things easier and faster, but losses quality and quantity in the run. FanFic can bring you so many more places and ,if your mind is well tuned to it, it can paint a picture far more vivid and beautiful than a Tv or work of art could ever even come close to.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:02 pm

Zombie-thread! :o
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:25 am

Stretch Dude
There is nothing bad in bumping the thread for the sake of saying something on-topic.
There is something wrong though, when you post in the thread only to say a couple of words absolutely not relating to the topic or offending others...
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:24 am

Ok look, can people please stop taking moderator duties on their own shoulders. We have moderators! If you want to talk to people about things like this, do it in PM.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks