Future-Drama-Review

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
EvilCupcake
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Future-Drama-Review

Post by EvilCupcake » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:39 pm

Perhaps one of the worst episodes ever written. Nonsensical plot, horrifically bad characterization. And the worst treatment of a guest star ever. I'm sorry, but its scenes like that that make me despise The Simpsons.

Homer and Marge breaking up is one of the many contributing factors to the episode's cappyness, even the lamentable Bart To The Future is better that this trite-fest. That and the mediocre voice acting, [Marge now sounds like a bad impersonation of herself] gah! Try again, Simpsons.

F-
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Re: Future-Drama-Review

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Most fans seem to agree with you. (I can't speak for myself, I haven't seen the episode and don't want to either.) There is already a reviews thread for this episode, though.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:38 pm

Oh! Oh! Another "Simpsons suck" thread!

Actually, this episode wasn't bad at all. Where did you see guest star in this episode? I didn't even notice any of them, which is a very good sign for me - this means the plot wasn't developed only for the sake of introducing celebrities. Nonsensical plot? The plot was basically about Frink's future prediction (which wasn't even intended to be true - remember "Welcome Maggie" banner?), about Bart and Lisa relation, about their attempts to make their own future. I've seen nothing nonsensical in it, I remember much more stupid plots in the early seasons. Horrible characterization? Imo, Bart, Lisa and their parents were characterized well enough. Milhouse... yeah, his behavior was strange. But OTOH, this episode was: 1) funny, I laughed several times watching it; 2) original, I cannot remember similar plot from the show; 3) properly developed - it was interesting to see it.

About Bart to the Future... I cannot understand why you all hate this episode so much. For me, it was very good. Of course, BTTF was worse than "Lisa's Wedding", but that episode was just *brilliant*, I don't think it's fair to compare another episodes with this one just to show "how much they suck". And I liked Future-Drama even more than BTTF, mainly because it was much more Lisa-dedicated and better executed in the technical aspect. Overall, my opinion is that all "futuristic" episodes are good. Except "Lisa's Wedding", of course. It was just great. :)

My favorite moment from Future-Drama: Lisa double-strangling Bart (and her damn cute scream before it ;)).
B or even B+.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:39 pm

U for unclassifeid. I havent seen it :)

I do wish I could at least ONCE reply to these episode reviews. But I never know when a new episode is on.

I want to see a bad episode, it will make the good episodes seem better. All of them so far I have liked. Except for that Michael Jackson one, how many times has Lisa had a birthday. Its would be sooo cool if she was 11 now.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:34 pm

You should try to catch it. IMO, it stood well above the rest of the season. Besides the bit about Maggie, it was great fun. :)

Oh, but I do agree with DeadRichmond on the guest star point,however. Bender had a lousy scene. :(
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
EvilCupcake
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by EvilCupcake » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:44 pm

Dagdamor wrote: Oh! Oh! Another "Simpsons suck" thread!

Actually, this episode wasn't bad at all. Where did you see guest star in this episode? I didn't even notice any of them, which is a very good sign for me - this means the plot wasn't developed only for the sake of introducing celebrities. Nonsensical plot? The plot was basically about Frink's future prediction (which wasn't even intended to be true - remember "Welcome Maggie" banner?), about Bart and Lisa relation, about their attempts to make their own future. I've seen nothing nonsensical in it, I remember much more stupid plots in the early seasons. Horrible characterization? Imo, Bart, Lisa and their parents were characterized well enough. Milhouse... yeah, his behavior was strange. But OTOH, this episode was: 1) funny, I laughed several times watching it; 2) original, I cannot remember similar plot from the show; 3) properly developed - it was interesting to see it.

About Bart to the Future... I cannot understand why you all hate this episode so much. For me, it was very good. Of course, BTTF was worse than "Lisa's Wedding", but that episode was just *brilliant*, I don't think it's fair to compare another episodes with this one just to show "how much they suck". And I liked Future-Drama even more than BTTF, mainly because it was much more Lisa-dedicated and better executed in the technical aspect. Overall, my opinion is that all "futuristic" episodes are good. Except "Lisa's Wedding", of course. It was just great. :)

My favorite moment from Future-Drama: Lisa double-strangling Bart (and her damn cute scream before it ;)).
B or even B+.
My main problem with FD is that it had far too many LOOK ITS THE FUTURE111 LOLN00B!!! jokes that, IMO distracted from the main plot. And for the record, I liked BTTF.
margefan
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by margefan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:25 am

Yeah I saw this one for the first time a while back and it was pretty much a non-event. Not absolutely terrible but nothing new-the gag where in the future everything is brand spanking new while the simpsons house has a few wood extensions taped on has been done a couple of times before now already.
Though personally I did like to see the bulked up Millhouse, even if it was an idiotic idea.

If I do have to grade it probably a D-
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:20 am

I think it was alright.  Uniclams...heh heh, oh that one came outta left field.

B
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:13 am

Fionn wrote: Uniclams...heh heh, oh that one came outta left field.
To be honest, I find the uniclams to be an almost perfect example of exactly what's wrong with the show's style of humour these days. It, like many jokes lately, come across as not simply "lame" or "dumb," but more like "WTF?! Who thinks up something that stupid, let alone thinks it's funny?!"

No offense intended, but I just can't see the humour in that beyond simply trying to be wacky for no reason randomly to garner laughs. Which is why in some ways I think these later Jean seasons are worse than Scully. Despite Scully's many problems and horrible episodes, you could at least see his target audience and stylings through his horridness. I could see he was targeting idiots who like low-brow jokes. However, I have no idea who these later seasons are targeting with humour like this. I can't figure it out.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22