REVIEW: My Fair Laddy

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

REVIEW: My Fair Laddy

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 am

Ah, what a delightful romp this was! Aside from a couple of jokes (did Krusty say what I think he said?), the episode was enjoyable all the way through. I honestly did not expect this to be a musical episode, so that was a pleasant surprise. The new-gym-teacher launching point was...well, I'm torn between "amusing" and "frightening." At least we got to see more of Bart returning to his prankster roots with the saxophone gag. And once the Willie plot got started...good, good stuff. Willie's remained one of the show's funniest characters even through the Scully Era, and he really got to shine here. Even the "I don't even have a last name!" meta-reference works with him. And I loved how his return to his old self was born of his newfound nobility. Well done.

And the Homer subplot? Short, funny, and pointless, just the way I likes 'em. The commercial went on just a little too long, though.

Grade: A
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Re: REVIEW: My Fair Laddy

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:37 am

A musical?  Now I'm definitely scared.

Still gonna check it out, though.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:48 am

Molloy the Catburglar wrote: A musical?  Now I'm definitely scared.
As you should be.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

H-okay.  As much as I like musicals, I hate it - HATE it - when OFF takes a well known musical and changes a few notes around and calls it original.  It's not.  It's the same freakin' tune with a note or two changed.  Because of this, I just muted the TV and imagined that the songs they were singing were to the original tunes.  I think that actually made the ep better, at least in my own head. 

Oh, yeah.  Homer goes out to buy a pair of discontinued blue pants.  Something the writers would have us believe is "hilarity" should ensue but doesn't.

GRADE: C- 

Would've been a D, but it *was* a parody of My Fair Lady.  One of my faves. 

Oh, and the "fingers in the nose" gag was just disturbing...
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
simpsoy1
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by simpsoy1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:43 am

I thought that the singing was pretty good, but the pants commercial was kind of disturbing.
I'll never forget the day he bagged his first hippie. That young man didn't think it was too "groovy".

Mr. Burns-"Dog of Death"
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:55 am

Disturbing but funny.  lol.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Gazmanafc
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Gazmanafc » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:22 pm

This is an exact quote from my blog. (http://babysimpson.co.uk/gary)

As stated in my speculation this episode focuses on Willie. Which was a bad idea. And I was right, this episode stank. I just didnt think it was funny. I hardly laughed at all. Once or twice. Too much fruity singing in it. Dan Castellaneta didnt do a good Groundskeeper Willie singing voice when sofisticated.

Homer's B-Story about the Blue Pants wasnt good either that was just strange. I didnt like that either. Homer eating raw potatoes, thats just gross.

The opening was good, then it just plummeted. I'll give this episode an E- at the best. Worst Season 17 episode yet. Al Jean can do better than this.
Seshennu
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Seshennu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:13 am

Hm... I had my doubts about this episode when I read the summary, but... I was really surprised.  :)

Spoiler-cut, because of some minor specifics. *shrug*
Spoiler
And on a final note,

Bombardment!  ;D
Last edited by Seshennu on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wuzzuh? You mean she frequents the Pit?
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:32 am

There's one thing that really creeped me out, thats when bart was about to throw that ice ball to his gym teacher.  Man, he did look like that suicidal fatso from Full Metal Jacket.  Did anyone recognize that*question mark

Sorry, but the question mark did not work on my keyboard.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:57 am

Okay, I was very curious about this episode, so I thought for once I'd make a point of downloading it to see how it was before it airs here (Season 17 seems to be getting here late this year too, normally it starts in to mid early February)

First of all, the couch gag was neat with Gumby and the family, though it went on for about 15 seconds or so. I have to wonder why Al Jean is complaining about not having enough time to give episodes when they use such long couch gags lately? It was definitely a cool couch gag, don't get me wrong, but just went on a bit for my tastes.

The first act was a mixed bag here, as most recent episodes are. There were some low-brow gags I could have done without (such as Nelson's comment about "more wood in shop class"), the whole Bombardment thing just went on far too long and became annoying, and the same thing goes for Homer's flashback about tearing his pants at the go-kart track (it would have actually been great if it had ended right after Homer's "I paid for fifty laps" line instead of having almost 10 seconds of him scraping his ass on the road.) The parody of Lost Weekend didn't really stike a chord either, simply because places not having blue pants just seemed silly and the names of the places were rather forced.

Things I did like in the opening act were the jokes with Lisa's saxophone, the Full Metal Jacket parody, Willie smashing his own tractor, and the colander gag. There weren't as many weak or cringeworthy gags as most recent episodes, but I think that's because almost half of them were simply the same "Bombardment!" gag repeated over and over. But it did end on Willie's "Wouldn't It Be Adequate" song, which was good. And that's a rare thing for recent OFF songs. I also liked Willie saying his grandfather was sent into the mines to make sure it was okay for the canaries.

Act 2 didn't get off to a good start with the stupid Willie standing straight gag, and the Worldwide Pants' Superbowl ad going on far, far too long in rather Family Guy-esque fashion didn't help either. And the bullies making that Around the World wager was just random and weak, as well as another case of them acting oddly unbully-like for some reason. The glow in the dark gag was nice though, and things picked up some more when Willie entered his second song; "What Flows From the Nose." Homer interrupting the song was quite amusing too, though Willie picking up the kids by their noses and spinning them could have been done without. And the Moe billboard gag was rather sub-par.

The introduction of new Willie at the science fair was interesting. I liked Dan's take on the new Willie's voice too, though when he started singing it sometimes sounded rather like Dan's regular voice. The song was another good one though, so that was 3 for 3 as far as I was concerned song wise (I especially liked Willie dancing around Selma during it). Lisa unveiling the bombshell upon the science fair audience was interesting, but I can't help but wonder at the whole coincidence that a mere science fair, something that's been seen before at the school, was set up like a fancy ball. So despite the good parts, the whole set up wreaked of lazy writing to simply set up Lisa' revelation. Why would a science fair for a school shown to always have budget problems set up an expensive setting like that after all?

Act 3 next, and Lisa's experiment is done. The odd beginning with Willie summoning a random falcon was kind of stupid, though the gag with Mr. Largo on the roof was kind of funny. Homer's subplot came to and end early here too, but at the same time didn't. It seemed that in the end his whole blue pants plot never went anywhere and was kind of a pointless filler. Sure, his plot had some amusing moments throughout, moreso than most recent Homer subplot outings, but it lacked any real direction or closure, and ended up feeling rather empty and unsatisfactory in the end. Again, this was due to lazy writing, and it's another case of an episode that should have probably just had the one main story only. Mr. Krupt returning with more "Bombardment!" was overkill too.

Willie's forth song came in here, and nicely put across Willie missing his old life, despite more respect being more upper class. It was good to see this was done with Willie's feelings in the matter, rather that simply having him go mad or insane as I expect the writers would. Still, it was rather abrupt. And Skinner's line at the assembly... well... I'll just say I'm sick of the writers always putting these meta-lines in character's mouths lately about things returning to normal. It's getting really tired. I do have to give kudos to the ending, with that nice bit of heartfelt emotion from Lisa, only to be downed at the very end by Willie when she wasn't there.

Overall, this was a mixed bag, but I'd have to say I liked it more than I disliked it. There was a fair about of crude gags, randomly dumb gags, weak gags and overly long Family Guy-esque gags throughout, but I liked how the Willie aspect was handled for the most part. There were some genuine character moments here for him, and he wasn't just used as a tool for the plot, which was good. Characterisation overall was pretty solid, as there wasn't any problems from Homer in the subplot either... he was never a jerkass or whiny or anything, even if the whole thing just seemed pointless.

I liked all the songs here; the lyrics actually were somewhat clever and fitting, and didn't feel forced like they have in other recent musical moments (Large Marge, The President Wore Pearls, etc). To be honest, Terry, I'm not actually sure at all what your complaint here is... this is no different from such classic parodies as "See My Vest", "The Garbageman Can", and the Shary Bobbins songs music wise, IMHO.

One of the main things I noticed that was good was the pacing seemed different here; it seemed slower, more gradual, which is good. One of the main problems with recent shows is that they'll tend to either rush through things too quickly or drag out single moments too long, and although "Bombardment" suffered from the latter, and the very last few minutes were a little rushed, the rest went at a nice pace.

Overall, the songs and plot were definitely enough to save the negative factors from dragging it into the D's for me, but the little problems here and there don't warrant it getting near the B's or higher either. There's still a lot of evidence of typical latter season problems evident here, but there were some rare moments that stopped it from being just another of the bunch. And while it didn't feel like a classic-era episode by any means, nor did it really feel like a recent one either.

Grade: C
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22