Nobody likes Sideshow Mel Anymore??!

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Sweet Sour Rose
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Nobody likes Sideshow Mel Anymore??!

Post by Sweet Sour Rose » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:26 am

I read on another forum on the "No Homers club" site about how alot of people now hate/dislike Sideshow Mel all because of the recent episodes in season 17. It's one thing that I'm one of the ramdon people who still likes/enjoys watching the newer seasons but NOW I'm one of the random people who still loves Mel??! This is really very UPSETTING for me because Mel is one of my favorite characters for all this time. :'( Some of their reasons for Disliking Mel now, DON'T even make sense!

People have a right of opinion, but if people can express their opinion about Mel, why can't I?? I don't know how to link this so I'll be typing the gist what they said in Italic. Below will be MY opinions about it.
The name of the thread is:
Whose idea was it to put Sideshow Mel in every episode? I'm not sure but I say keep them rollin'! ;D

He's annoying
Care to explain how??

All he does pop out to praises/criticizes/explain something
....So?.....What's wrong with Mel always expressing how he feels? Most of the people/his friends in Springfield seem to what to hear what he has to say. Mel never used to be Confident enough to speak up in public besides TV until since the end of season 6, When Ned Flanders wished to hear from Mel. What? Is speaking your mind, more of a crime then ironically, robbing a store, Framing/trying to kill Krusty, trying to kill the Simpsons now, etc.

His voice is annoying
I did thought his voice sounded alittle different this year but it doesn't really matter to me, because I never liked Mel for his voice, I like him for his personality(YES, he DOES have a personality)

There was no reason for him to be in "Homer this is your wife"

Get out! His line about the TV thing was my favorite part of the episode. Besides, other then that, I noticed an important background story in Lenny's party which seems to have some significance revolving around Mel(little more details below).

There was also one part where where they said Mel looked "b***hy" after the Lovejoys made out in "The monkey suit"(well Krusty and Sideshow Bob are always 'b***hy' IMO and NOBODY complains about that). For those who forgot, What Mel said after the Lovejoys made out was, "Why must every church meeting end this way?" I don't see what was wrong with that. I would've reacted the same way. If every church meeting you go to ended with those two making out, wouldn't you be/looked annoyed??

He's always going around shirtless
I think it's rather impressive that he goes around in his Sideshow suit WITHOUT caring what other people think besides don't forget that Sideshow Bob used to go around the in a sideshow suit as well before he went to jail.

His role in "My mother the carjacker" was terrible
(sigh) Do I need to go though with this? It's just ridicluous period.

Sooo, they hate him now....just cause he appears alittle more???? And they prefer Mel to be at the hip with Krusty who's always abused him and treats him like sh*t instead of having Mel be his own person outside of the Krusty show and hanging out with friends who actaully care about him and treats him more like a friend rather then a celebrity?? OK that makes no sense to me.

One more thing
He's not a developed character
It isn't that he hasn't been 'developing' the problem is that even currently he DOESN'T get ENOUGH screening time. You have to go to resourses and pay closer attention to the character(like I have). Even notice a drama background story this season though the episodes just by paying attention to Mel. If anyone is interested, I'll explained what seemed to went down.

To end this, PLEASE tell me, there are still some Mel likers left! I need closer! :'(
Dagdamor

Re: Nobody likes Sideshow Mel Anymore??!

Post by Dagdamor » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:48 am

Eh, I wouldn't take NHC crew's opinions to the heart.
I guess there are some fans of Sideshow Mel around... not me, unfortunately. I'm the fan of ugh... different character...
Anyway, just be sure that even if certain people hate Mel, this means nothing.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:46 pm

I quite like Sideshow Mel.  His role in Who Shot Mr Burns? (parts one and two, but mostly the latter) had always struck me as funny and clever writing.  I haven't seem much of the newer episodes, but I have noticed him being used to splurt out random lines lately (example: Not the sky!  That's where clouds are born!), so I guess his character has declined a little since then.

But regardless of my, yours, or anyone else's opinion, I will ask you to please not use this forum to complain about another forum.  If you have problems with things at NoHomers, post there, not here.

Thank you.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:20 pm

I liked Mel, but I honestly think he's being overused now, and for all the wrong reasons.  I used to see him as the Kif to Krusty's Zapp: somewhat submissive yet openly disgusted by his employer; but over the past few years, his character's degraded into the town's pompous smartass, and the only purpose he seems to have is to shout random tidbits during crowd shots.  It's like he's a completely different character now.  I can't even remember the last time we saw him working with Krusty.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:20 am

I think the reason why Mel's been shouting random lines lately is because of his voice. Shakespearean-type voices saying stupid things, for the most part, is funny. (All who disagree with me are commanded to watch "Homer the Great.") Mel's lines, however, are kind of "meh."
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Chinese Orphane
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Chinese Orphane » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:39 pm

some ppl like him some ppl dont depends what character  u like
HIGH SCHOOL PRESSURE
BY OLIVIA

i heard that popularity aint all what its cracked up to be why am i so stressed i should study on grades and do my best im upset anious freaked out impateint this is the second rought draft of my poem the other replaced it i had to start all over again makes it hard to take this to the end so i shall say in every way i hope my names rembered for high school in a good way this is a discarce how can i face starting a new popular life hopefully ppl there can respect me stress shouldnt have to be everything begging pleading let me do well all this compotion i feel im in HE** but i shall go this may drop out hope that school ill have no doubts...

for now im stressed but again im fine im ending this now i dont have time
Chinese Orphane
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Chinese Orphane » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Sweet Sour Rose wrote: I read on another forum on the "No Homers club" site about how alot of people now hate/dislike Sideshow Mel all because of the recent episodes in season 17. It's one thing that I'm one of the ramdon people who still likes/enjoys watching the newer seasons but NOW I'm one of the random people who still loves Mel??! This is really very UPSETTING for me because Mel is one of my favorite characters for all this time. :'( Some of their reasons for Disliking Mel now, DON'T even make sense!

People have a right of opinion, but if people can express their opinion about Mel, why can't I?? I don't know how to link this so I'll be typing the gist what they said in Italic. Below will be MY opinions about it.
The name of the thread is:
Whose idea was it to put Sideshow Mel in every episode? I'm not sure but I say keep them rollin'! ;D

He's annoying
Care to explain how??

All he does pop out to praises/criticizes/explain something
....So?.....What's wrong with Mel always expressing how he feels? Most of the people/his friends in Springfield seem to what to hear what he has to say. Mel never used to be Confident enough to speak up in public besides TV until since the end of season 6, When Ned Flanders wished to hear from Mel. What? Is speaking your mind, more of a crime then ironically, robbing a store, Framing/trying to kill Krusty, trying to kill the Simpsons now, etc.

His voice is annoying
I did thought his voice sounded alittle different this year but it doesn't really matter to me, because I never liked Mel for his voice, I like him for his personality(YES, he DOES have a personality)

There was no reason for him to be in "Homer this is your wife"

Get out! His line about the TV thing was my favorite part of the episode. Besides, other then that, I noticed an important background story in Lenny's party which seems to have some significance revolving around Mel(little more details below).

There was also one part where where they said Mel looked "b***hy" after the Lovejoys made out in "The monkey suit"(well Krusty and Sideshow Bob are always 'b***hy' IMO and NOBODY complains about that). For those who forgot, What Mel said after the Lovejoys made out was, "Why must every church meeting end this way?" I don't see what was wrong with that. I would've reacted the same way. If every church meeting you go to ended with those two making out, wouldn't you be/looked annoyed??

He's always going around shirtless
I think it's rather impressive that he goes around in his Sideshow suit WITHOUT caring what other people think besides don't forget that Sideshow Bob used to go around the in a sideshow suit as well before he went to jail.

His role in "My mother the carjacker" was terrible
(sigh) Do I need to go though with this? It's just ridicluous period.

Sooo, they hate him now....just cause he appears alittle more???? And they prefer Mel to be at the hip with Krusty who's always abused him and treats him like sh*t instead of having Mel be his own person outside of the Krusty show and hanging out with friends who actaully care about him and treats him more like a friend rather then a celebrity?? OK that makes no sense to me.

One more thing
He's not a developed character
It isn't that he hasn't been 'developing' the problem is that even currently he DOESN'T get ENOUGH screening time. You have to go to resourses and pay closer attention to the character(like I have). Even notice a drama background story this season though the episodes just by paying attention to Mel. If anyone is interested, I'll explained what seemed to went down.

To end this, PLEASE tell me, there are still some Mel likers left! I need closer! :'(
i dont really pay that much attion to him but he is ok
HIGH SCHOOL PRESSURE
BY OLIVIA

i heard that popularity aint all what its cracked up to be why am i so stressed i should study on grades and do my best im upset anious freaked out impateint this is the second rought draft of my poem the other replaced it i had to start all over again makes it hard to take this to the end so i shall say in every way i hope my names rembered for high school in a good way this is a discarce how can i face starting a new popular life hopefully ppl there can respect me stress shouldnt have to be everything begging pleading let me do well all this compotion i feel im in HE** but i shall go this may drop out hope that school ill have no doubts...

for now im stressed but again im fine im ending this now i dont have time
simpsoy1
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by simpsoy1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:45 pm

I think that Sideshow Mel is pretty good, too.
I'll never forget the day he bagged his first hippie. That young man didn't think it was too "groovy".

Mr. Burns-"Dog of Death"
addictive
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by addictive » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Melvin Van Horn is a funny character. He is uptight, but strangely ignorant. A combination as such apparently turns to be hilarious. I have come to a predicament: Is he funnier when he is trying to be funny on the Krusty the clown show, or in real life when he is funny, and NOT trying to be? They turn out even!
Find Me, A poem by Chris Dominowski.

If I am lost, and you do not care, will the search ever be fair?
Why am I here? What should I do?
The answer to this, I once knew.
Why should I be found if I always must hide?
I have tried so hard, my soul has died.
Over the years, In fear I have drowned. It is finally clear; I cannot be found.

Human, a poem by Chris dominowski

I wear sunglasses at night, but I carry a flashlight.
I turn from the flame, but stare at the ashes.
I walk into the woods, and never touch the trail.
I always look at my calander, but do not care what day it is.
I am the mixture of light and darkness; I am human.

Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 am

I think Mel's alright.  He adds a level of weirdness to things, and, at the same time, sophistication (he is a Cornell alumnus).

Also, he's fairly mysterious-I mean, eighteen seasons and no episode about him?  Who's his wife (he mentions a "Barbara" in some episodes).  Where does he come from?  Is he related to Sideshow Bob? 

Personally, I think he and Bob are cousins.  Only explanation as to why Bob hasn't tried once to kill the man who took his job.
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:35 am

Fionn wrote: Only explanation as to why Bob hasn't tried once to kill the man who took his job.
Apart from the fact Bob practically loathed his position as Krusty's sidekick?

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:54 am

Well, still, all the other people he's tried to kill: Bart, Krusty, Selma.  Plus, aside from Cecil, he is the only other character who speaks in the same Shakespearean/British accent.
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
CCD!

Post by CCD! » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:59 pm

you do not worry of which it is said in other sides ;)….  your impression on Mel is what matters…. :D  my personal opinion is that Mel is one of the best personages of the series… is in serious (after of Lisa, Homer and Krusty) .....  the personage has much talent :D…. but very bad luck….  :P it never manages to assassinate Bart…. (which is its second enemy)....

first it is the "rake" ;D….  heh, heh… that is to have enemy? .....
h0mer
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by h0mer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:55 pm

I never used to like him, but now I've become more used to him in episodes and he's alright. Overused a bit to much though.
Lady_Simpson
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lady_Simpson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:58 am

Never really thought of Sideshow Mel before reading this...

An episode actually focussing on him a bit more would be interesting (someone's gotta have an interesting life to turn out THAT strange.)
But he can be a bit annoying when he just pops up in some episodes.  Not enough to lose sleep over though.
Homer: Marge? Since I'm not talking to Lisa, would you please ask her to pass me the syrup?
Marge: Dear, please pass your father the syrup, Lisa.
Lisa: Bart, tell Dad I will only pass the syrup if it won't be used on any meat product.
Bart: You dunkin' your sausages in that syrup homeboy?
Homer: Marge, tell Bart I just want to drink a nice glass of syrup like I do every morning.
Marge: Tell him yourself, you're ignoring Lisa, not Bart.
Homer: Bart, thank your mother for pointing that out.
Marge: Homer, you're not not-talking to me and secondly I heard what you said.
Homer: Lisa, tell your mother to get off my case.
Bart: Uhhh, dad, Lisa's the one you're not talking to.
Homer: Bart, go to your room.